Employer & 1L grade question

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Employer & 1L grade question

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:29 pm

I'm a 1L at a T10. Halfway through finals last month, my mother passed away. My dad passed away earlier this year so it was especially hard. I took my last two finals about two weeks later, but had a ton of trouble studying and focusing (before and during the exams). I had to either take them then, or leave school. I'm not feeling good about either one (I don't have grades yet, but I have a strong feeling...) and this hasn't bothered me until now. I spoke to my school's dean and he said that he'd offer me a note to explain to employers the conditions under which I studied for/took those final two exams that I could send out with my transcript. My question is - do you think employers would actually take his note seriously and not hold those last two grades against me (he says this is the case)? Is this worth worrying about? Thank you for any input.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stintez

Re: Employer & 1L grade question

Postby stintez » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:32 pm

Im sorry for everything that has gone on in your life as of late. If you are still in the top 50% I would say just try and stick with it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:39 pm

stintez wrote:Im sorry for everything that has gone on in your life as of late. If you are still in the top 50% I would say just try and stick with it.

Thanks. I'm not dropping out either way - just wondering how employers would likely approach this situation.
I want to be a lawyer & I don't think it would be beneficial for me to drop out. I'm also not biglaw or bust, if that makes a difference.

stintez

Postby stintez » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
stintez wrote:Im sorry for everything that has gone on in your life as of late. If you are still in the top 50% I would say just try and stick with it.

Thanks. I'm not dropping out either way - just wondering how employers would likely approach this situation.
I want to be a lawyer & I don't think it would be beneficial for me to drop out. I'm also not biglaw or bust, if that makes a difference.

I think they are human and will understand and if you rebound great (grade wise) you still may have a shot at biglaw. Your interview will help you with telling people what was going on in your life.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:20 am

Thanks. Anybody else have any more input?

FlightoftheEarls

Postby FlightoftheEarls » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:49 am

Anonymous User wrote:Thanks. Anybody else have any more input?

First, I'm very sorry to hear about your loss. That must be incredibly tough, and I'm amazed anyone could have what it takes to push through finals after that.

Second, do you know what the grades ended up being already? If they're not stellar, your second semester grades are a perfect time to pull them up.

Third, the vast majority of employers will absolutely understand that. That is especially true if you pull up the GPA second semester (assuming first semester wasn't what you were hoping for). There is simply no way an employer can look at a poor GPA the first semester under those conditions, a significant improvement the second semester, and discern that what you were going through wasn't an enormous contributing factor to the grades you achieved. I honestly wouldn't worry about the employment issue because (1) there's nothing you can do at this point anyway, and (2) any firm that doesn't appreciate the second-semester improvement and holds your first semester against you may not be the type of place you really want to work anyways. Law firms get a reputation for being unfeeling; while they will work you hard, they aren't filled with insensitive pricks. Most people will completely understand.

Best of luck to you.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:00 pm

FlightoftheEarls wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Thanks. Anybody else have any more input?

First, I'm very sorry to hear about your loss. That must be incredibly tough, and I'm amazed anyone could have what it takes to push through finals after that.

Second, do you know what the grades ended up being already? If they're not stellar, your second semester grades are a perfect time to pull them up.

Third, the vast majority of employers will absolutely understand that. That is especially true if you pull up the GPA second semester (assuming first semester wasn't what you were hoping for). There is simply no way an employer can look at a poor GPA the first semester under those conditions, a significant improvement the second semester, and discern that what you were going through wasn't an enormous contributing factor to the grades you achieved. I honestly wouldn't worry about the employment issue because (1) there's nothing you can do at this point anyway, and (2) any firm that doesn't appreciate the second-semester improvement and holds your first semester against you may not be the type of place you really want to work anyways. Law firms get a reputation for being unfeeling; while they will work you hard, they aren't filled with insensitive pricks. Most people will completely understand.

Best of luck to you.

Thanks very much. I don't have the grades; I don't feel like I bombed anything, just a bit below median or so. I hope you're right.

Return to “Legal Employment”