How does JD/MBA OCI work?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
AP-375

How does JD/MBA OCI work?

Postby AP-375 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:17 pm

Can you do OCI after 2nd and/or 3rd year? Do you have OCI/network opportunities with the law school and business school? Do you effectively double your recruitment opportunities? Strongly considering it, and trying to figure out logistics. tibi gratias.

iagolives

Re: How does JD/MBA OCI work?

Postby iagolives » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:23 pm

AP-375 wrote:Can you do OCI after 2nd and/or 3rd year? Do you have OCI/network opportunities with the law school and business school? Do you effectively double your recruitment opportunities? Strongly considering it, and trying to figure out logistics. tibi gratias.

Ha, I approve of the Latin. ;)

One of my really good friends is a joint JD/MBA and he said that, while every school varies, it is unlikely that the two OCIs will be at the same time. Also, depending on the program, you will prob do legal internships after your 1L and 2L years and a business internship after your first MBA year.

I should warn you, however, that many of my joint degree friends have said that some firms don't take joint degrees well. This might be mitigated if you are going into M&A or the like, but many hiring partners see the joint degree as a liability, like "this person isn't going to stick around."

Feel free to take this with a grain of salt but I've talked to a lot of people about joint degrees and this seems to be the consensus. It may help, it may hurt, but it probably won't double your prospects.

good luck

AP-375

Postby AP-375 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:34 pm

iagolives wrote:
AP-375 wrote:Can you do OCI after 2nd and/or 3rd year? Do you have OCI/network opportunities with the law school and business school? Do you effectively double your recruitment opportunities? Strongly considering it, and trying to figure out logistics. tibi gratias.

Ha, I approve of the Latin. ;)

One of my really good friends is a joint JD/MBA and he said that, while every school varies, it is unlikely that the two OCIs will be at the same time. Also, depending on the program, you will prob do legal internships after your 1L and 2L years and a business internship after your first MBA year.

I should warn you, however, that many of my joint degree friends have said that some firms don't take joint degrees well. This might be mitigated if you are going into M&A or the like, but many hiring partners see the joint degree as a liability, like "this person isn't going to stick around."

Feel free to take this with a grain of salt but I've talked to a lot of people about joint degrees and this seems to be the consensus. It may help, it may hurt, but it probably won't double your prospects.

good luck

So essentially you have three summers to intern, look for a job, and wait out the economy? That's a pretty strong positive. As for the way firms look at it, they might be right—I probably won't stick around, which is such a huge part of why I actually want the MBA.

iagolives

Postby iagolives » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:37 pm

AP-375 wrote:As for the way firms look at it, they might be right—I probably won't stick around, which is such a huge part of why I actually want the MBA.

Well, yeah, but you don't want them to know that. Are you already in law school AP? If not, why not just do the MBA?

HITeacher2

Postby HITeacher2 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:57 am

It's different at every school. I know for Harvard you get access to the OCI of whatever school you're at your first year in that year, get access to the other school the next year, and then get full access to both school's OCI for years 3 and 4. The OCI don't conflict, but if you accept an offer from the first OCI you can't reneg on it for the second OCI.

There is one huge risk-mitigating advantage to it. If you don't get a 2L summer or an offer from your 2L summer and you're at law school you're screwed. If you're a JD/MBA, you get to recruit at the b-school. There are a LOT of options =)

AP-375

Postby AP-375 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:09 am

iagolives wrote:
AP-375 wrote:As for the way firms look at it, they might be right—I probably won't stick around, which is such a huge part of why I actually want the MBA.

Well, yeah, but you don't want them to know that. Are you already in law school AP? If not, why not just do the MBA?

No, not yet. All my apps are in, been accepted to a few T1s so far. You pose a valid question, but this is the best, and simplest answer I can give: 1) I've had good exposure to law and I love it, and 2) I feel that I would have better job opportunities directly out of school at one of the law schools I can get into. I appreciate the discussion.

iagolives

Postby iagolives » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:17 pm

AP-375 wrote:
iagolives wrote:

No, not yet. All my apps are in, been accepted to a few T1s so far. You pose a valid question, but this is the best, and simplest answer I can give: 1) I've had good exposure to law and I love it, and 2) I feel that I would have better job opportunities directly out of school at one of the law schools I can get into. I appreciate the discussion.

Congrats on the admissions!

As (deservedly) excited as you may be, it'd benefit you to think hard if you want to be a lawyer. Law school doesn't train you to be generally smart and successful--it trains you to be a lawyer. No more, no less. I would recommend thinking if you would like to BE a lawyer. Most people I know who love law school and are doing well want to be a lawyer, even for a short while, while the unhappy ones I know didn't think through being a lawyer well enough before they signed on the dotted line.

I don't mean to dissuade you from going to law school or doing a joint degree. I just would recommend (and wish I had) thinking hard about what you want to get out of it. It's an expensive endeavor if you don't really want to be a lawyer beyond thinking its fun.

Good luck!

Return to “Legal Employment”