How important is prior work experience for a firm job?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
JimHalpert

How important is prior work experience for a firm job?

Postby JimHalpert » Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:32 pm

Junior in college here. I'm studying for the June LSAT and will take the October test only if June doesn't go well. I'm trying to decide whether or not I should go straight from UG or work first. I'd be open to a year off before law school (maximum 2 and only if it was a great opportunity). I'm a psychology major so I'm not very marketable, plus I don't really want to start a career in another industry knowing I want to bolt for law school anyway.

So, my question is...for employment prospects as a law student, am I at a big disadvantage coming out of undergrad without having spent time in the workforce? Is it worth the opportunity cost? Any other comments?

Thanks.

DoubleChecks

Re: How important is prior work experience for a firm job?

Postby DoubleChecks » Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:37 pm

JimHalpert wrote:Junior in college here. I'm studying for the June LSAT and will take the October test only if June doesn't go well. I'm trying to decide whether or not I should go straight from UG or work first. I'd be open to a year off before law school (maximum 2 and only if it was a great opportunity). I'm a psychology major so I'm not very marketable, plus I don't really want to start a career in another industry knowing I want to bolt for law school anyway.

So, my question is...for employment prospects as a law student, am I at a big disadvantage coming out of undergrad without having spent time in the workforce? Is it worth the opportunity cost? Any other comments?

Thanks.

depends on what law school you can get into. WE always helps, but to go out of your way for a yr just to gain it? i dont know about that. if you can get into a good law school and have the money/work out debts/willing to take loans/etc., then i personally would not take off a yr JUST to try to gain some semblance of irl WE

JimHalpert

Postby JimHalpert » Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:46 pm

DoubleChecks wrote:[

depends on what law school you can get into. WE always helps, but to go out of your way for a yr just to gain it? i dont know about that. if you can get into a good law school and have the money/work out debts/willing to take loans/etc., then i personally would not take off a yr JUST to try to gain some semblance of irl WE

Thanks. In response, assume I'd be going to a Fordham/BC/BU type school, potentially on down to Cornell or maybe Georgetown. I know that's a big range, but I'm expecting (hoping) for a 167-171 based on my current practice lsats and the amount of time I have left to study.

BrownBears09

Postby BrownBears09 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:53 pm

When I was in UG nearly 2 years ago, I simply did not believe the benefit of WE before graduate studies. Since then, I've gained WE, and absolutely agree that taking time off after school is the way to go. The experience I gained from the large job search process, interviewing, and an actual "real job" atmosphere does not compare to anything offered by my UG career services or the summer internships.

I am a ten-fold better interviewer and all-around employee now, as compared to UG. It is easy to see why NW absolutely loves WE applicants.

JimHalpert

Postby JimHalpert » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:27 pm

BrownBears09 wrote:When I was in UG nearly 2 years ago, I simply did not believe the benefit of WE before graduate studies. Since then, I've gained WE, and absolutely agree that taking time off after school is the way to go. The experience I gained from the large job search process, interviewing, and an actual "real job" atmosphere does not compare to anything offered by my UG career services or the summer internships.

I am a ten-fold better interviewer and all-around employee now, as compared to UG. It is easy to see why NW absolutely loves WE applicants.

Thanks. Were you set on law school during your job search or were you open to the possibility of remaining in whatever industry you chose?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:07 pm

My work experience is one of the main reasons I got a V100 summer offer (not IP). In addition to that, it is invaluable life experience and will help you appreciate school more when you go back. I always knew I was going to go to law school, but really glad I took the time off to hold down a job.

BrownBears09

Postby BrownBears09 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:10 pm

JimHalpert wrote:
BrownBears09 wrote:When I was in UG nearly 2 years ago, I simply did not believe the benefit of WE before graduate studies. Since then, I've gained WE, and absolutely agree that taking time off after school is the way to go. The experience I gained from the large job search process, interviewing, and an actual "real job" atmosphere does not compare to anything offered by my UG career services or the summer internships.

Thanks. Were you set on law school during your job search or were you open to the possibility of remaining in whatever industry you chose?

FWIW: I am a 0L planning on attending in the fall.

I was primarily set on the business industry in general but work allowed me to further expand on my interests. The experience (in general) was a large factor in my decision to go to law school.

That being said, I would have no problem growing in this industry. However due to my experiences, skill set, and overall aspirations - I am pursuing law.

Return to “Legal Employment”