1L SA in undesirable city...

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

1L SA in undesirable city...

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:52 pm

I'm a URM 1L at a T14 and just received an SA offer from a mid-sized firm in my midwestern hometown. The offer expires in 2 weeks. The thing is, I REALLY want to work in DC after law school but my ties to DC are tenuous at best (I worked there 2 summers during undergrad). I applied to a lot of DC firms and 3 of them emailed me back requesting grades. However, I've only received one of my grades so far and the deadline for professors to turn them in is not until early February. So I think the offer will run out before I have a chance to get all of my grades and turn them around to DC area law firms.

So my question is, considering that I have no desire to work in my home market after graduation but really want to work in DC, is it better for me to just take the SA position or should I just do something public service related in DC (since the chances of me securing a firm job in DC are slim)? Will taking an SA in a city that's not DC negatively impact my chances for getting hired in DC during 2L OCI?

Thanks in advance!

vamedic03

Re: 1L SA in undesirable city...

Postby vamedic03 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm a URM 1L at a T14 and just received an SA offer from a mid-sized firm in my midwestern hometown. The offer expires in 2 weeks. The thing is, I REALLY want to work in DC after law school but my ties to DC are tenuous at best (I worked there 2 summers during undergrad). I applied to a lot of DC firms and 3 of them emailed me back requesting grades. However, I've only received one of my grades so far and the deadline for professors to turn them in is not until early February. So I think the offer will run out before I have a chance to get all of my grades and turn them around to DC area law firms.

So my question is, considering that I have no desire to work in my home market after graduation but really want to work in DC, is it better for me to just take the SA position or should I just do something public service related in DC (since the chances of me securing a firm job in DC are slim)? Will taking an SA in a city that's not DC negatively impact my chances for getting hired in DC during 2L OCI?

Thanks in advance!

You don't need connections to get a DC firm through 2L OCI, you need grades and a reasonable explanation for why you want to work in DC. Virtually no one gets 1L SA positions in DC. If you want the BigLaw experience and money from a 1L SA position - go for it.

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:51 pm

Any offer for paid employment 1L summer is something you should just take. Everything I've heard from employers is that no one cares where you work 1L summer ITE, because they understand that people have to take anything they can get.

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:18 am

Man, you can basically find any city at least tolerable if it means a good job. Disclaimer: unless the city is Stockton or L.A.

Doritos

Postby Doritos » Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:35 am

Take the job

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:35 am

Get those dolla dolla bills.

But seriously, if you can get paid, get paid. I don't think working in DC this summer is going to change your chances much next summer. Besides, the economy has given you an iron clad excuse as to why you went with a paying job at home where you presumably get free rent. (And I highly doubt you will get a firm job in DC this summer, regardless of grades.)

Personal anecdote: I did basically the same thing my 1L summer, went home to a firm in my hometown (in the Southwest, not in the midwest). This summer (and hopefully for the foreseeable future) I am working in DC. I too have tenuous ties to DC at best. And I am not an URM (although I am an IP guy, so there is that). So it can be done. This is of course anecdotal evidence and my home market is not yours, so take it for what you will.

Return to “Legal Employment”