Something we're overlooking here.... Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
dabears1

New

Something we're overlooking here....

Post by dabears1 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:14 pm

What evidence do any of us have that the type of work (and the demand for) attorneys do is at the very least, relatively constant? (even assuming some semblance of a stabilizing economy in the next decade)

Are we sure that the demand for what a society needs attorneys for isn't severly contracting, due to techonolgy, the increasingly globalized encomic model of the world, etc, etc?

I'm not sure how many of you believe that we have a truly efficient (and non-manipulated) "free market" system, but regardless of your thoughts on that are, any purely global, capatalist system isn't designed to support things that can (through techonology, outsourcing, etc) become more efficient.

Efficiency, in the case of our legal system, means less lawyers. A lot less.

I just wanted to get some of your thoughts on these concerns.... I just don't see future economies relying on an antiquated legal model involving a flood of lawyers anymore. I see more and more legal work being outsourced, or made more efficient through technology and so forth.
Last edited by dabears1 on Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Adjudicator

Silver

Re: Something we're overlooking here....

Post by Adjudicator » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:16 pm

I don't think the demand for legal services in this country is going to decrease in the future.

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:49 pm

dabears1 wrote:What evidence do any of us have that the type of work (and the demand for) attorneys do is at the very least, relatively constant? (even assuming some semblance of a stabilizing economy in the next decade)

Are we sure that the demand for what a society needs attorneys for isn't severly contracting, due to techonolgy, the increasingly globalized encomic model of the world, etc, etc?

I'm not sure how many of you believe that we have a truly efficient (and non-manipulated) "free market" system, but regardless of your thoughts on that are, any purely global, capatalist system isn't designed to support things that can (through techonology, outsourcing, etc) become more efficient.

Efficiency, in the case of our legal system, means less lawyers. A lot less.

I just wanted to get some of your thoughts on these concerns.... I just don't see future economies relying on an antiquated legal model involving a flood of lawyers anymore. I see more and more legal work being outsourced, or made more efficient through technology and so forth.
Legal work is already being outsourced and made more efficient through technology. I could see corporate deals requiring fewer lawyers to conduct due diligence and such (which is already happening due to leaps such as e-discovery). I could also see legal filings like chapter 7s only requiring a lawyer to rubberstamp the documents rather than prepare them (which again is already happening).

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:51 pm

dabears1 wrote:Efficiency, in the case of our legal system, means less lawyers. A lot less.
Wrong. It means fewer lawyers.

dabears1

New

Post by dabears1 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:56 pm

Cavalier wrote:
dabears1 wrote:Efficiency, in the case of our legal system, means less lawyers. A lot less.
Wrong. It means fewer lawyers.
Touche!

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:57 pm

dabears1 wrote:I'm an unauthorized alt. Now I'm banned.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Legal Employment”