GPA from UVA for DC firm

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

GPA from UVA for DC firm

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:25 pm

What is normally considered to be the GPA cutoff for someone from UVA wanting to do firm work in DC?

vamedic03

Re: GPA from UVA for DC firm

Postby vamedic03 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What is normally considered to be the GPA cutoff for someone from UVA wanting to do firm work in DC?

Varies dramatically based on the firm.

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:59 pm

vamedic03 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:What is normally considered to be the GPA cutoff for someone from UVA wanting to do firm work in DC?

Varies dramatically based on the firm.

cr. Talk to K Don and look at the chart.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:35 pm

Perhaps I should rephrase. What GPA to have a realistic shot a landing a firm gig and not fuck myself by bidding heavily on DC?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:45 pm

It really depends on other factors like work experience and interviewing skills. If you don't have a 3.6 or better though, you probably should avoid DC unless you're dead set on working there because there's a decent chance you'll end up dissatisfied with the number of interviews you get. That doesn't mean you need a 3.6 to get a DC job, but given how much almost everyone at UVA wants to be in DC, it's hard to feel safe unless you have top grades. Assuming you're a 1L, it also depends on the economy in the next 6 months because obviously the GPA needed will vary with how many open spots there are. Just focus on getting the highest GPA possible and deal with strategy in June or July.

Sup Kid

Postby Sup Kid » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:It really depends on other factors like work experience and interviewing skills. If you don't have a 3.6 or better though, you probably should avoid DC unless you're dead set on working there because there's a decent chance you'll end up dissatisfied with the number of interviews you get. That doesn't mean you need a 3.6 to get a DC job, but given how much almost everyone at UVA wants to be in DC, it's hard to feel safe unless you have top grades. Assuming you're a 1L, it also depends on the economy in the next 6 months because obviously the GPA needed will vary with how many open spots there are. Just focus on getting the highest GPA possible and deal with strategy in June or July.

TITCR

vamedic03

Postby vamedic03 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Perhaps I should rephrase. What GPA to have a realistic shot a landing a firm gig and not fuck myself by bidding heavily on DC?

Regardless of your GPA, you should think strongly before bidding heavily on DC. I would highly recommend, even if you have a 4.0, to split your bids between NYC and DC. There are 2 reasons for this - (1) at any given GPA range, DC firms are far more selective and (2) you get 50 bids and for any GPA range, there are probably only about 30-40 firms between DC and NYC that you should be bidding on (i.e., wherein your GPA is not dramatically below or above their typical GPA range).

extragnarls

Postby extragnarls » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:34 am

vamedic03 wrote:Regardless of your GPA, you should think strongly before bidding heavily on DC. I would highly recommend, even if you have a 4.0, to split your bids between NYC and DC. There are 2 reasons for this - (1) at any given GPA range, DC firms are far more selective and (2) you get 50 bids and for any GPA range, there are probably only about 30-40 firms between DC and NYC that you should be bidding on (i.e., wherein your GPA is not dramatically below or above their typical GPA range).

+1

I wouldn't have believed it as a 1L, what with all the advice about grades being key to OGI success, but there's just no grade cutoff that makes you safe in DC. You may find that most people above a certain GPA got a DC firm job if they threw enough bids at it, but yeah... be prepared to get about 25% the number of interviews per bid in DC as compared with NYC.

Cavalier

Postby Cavalier » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:46 am

There's no high GPA cutoff, but there's also no GPA that makes you completely safe for DC. I know plenty of people with a 3.4-3.5 who got V25 offers in DC, and I also know multiple law review grade-ons who got nothing there. You should use a good amount of your bids on NY just to be safe.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:22 am

And whatever you do, don't listen to SH if he tells you you'll be fine with a 3.3...

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:26 am

Related question but, WHY THE FUCK does everyone want to be in D.C.? I would think that NY would win hands down every time. Is appellate lit really that appealing?

ksimon2007

Postby ksimon2007 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:39 am

Veyron wrote:Related question but, WHY THE FUCK does everyone want to be in D.C.? I would think that NY would win hands down every time. Is appellate lit really that appealing?

TBH, my fascination with D.C. for a legal career does, in part, have something to do with my fascination with politics.

vamedic03

Postby vamedic03 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:22 am

Veyron wrote:Related question but, WHY THE FUCK does everyone want to be in D.C.? I would think that NY would win hands down every time. Is appellate lit really that appealing?

Several reasons:

(1) Regulatory practices - way more regulatory/admin law practices in DC than anywhere else

(2) Broader range of litigation and less finance driven litigation

(3) Relating to #2, the practices tend to be driven by government rather than by wall street

(4) Cost of living - yes, DC is expensive, but it's cheaper than NYC

(5) Many DC firms are less leveraged than NYC firms and while associates work very long hours, they seem to work shorter hours than NYC associates

Finally, you aren't going to be working in an appellate practice (for the most part).

Cavalier

Postby Cavalier » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:26 am

Also, UVA is 40% VA residents, so DC is a lot closer to home for many people.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:21 am

I want to be in DC because I loved my time living there. It was much, much more my style than NYC was.

Return to “Legal Employment”