DEADLINE: Federal Defender vs USAO vs FTC

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

DEADLINE: Federal Defender vs USAO vs FTC

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:47 pm

CCN 1L here - I have an offer at the Massachusetts Federal Defender's office (in Boston) that I have to respond to by Tuesday morning. The other two offers (Boston USAO + Boston FTC) have given me until the end of the month so I have some time to decide on them.

Question: I am interested in all of them literally equally so which is most prestigious? Is the Federal Defender prestigious at all or is it closer to public defender's offices in terms of prestige? Thanks!

Anonymous User

Re: DEADLINE: Federal Defender vs USAO vs FTC

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:53 pm

FTC. Only SEC would be more prestigious if you have an eye toward OCI.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:FTC. Only SEC would be more prestigious if you have an eye toward OCI.

Thanks for the response. Any other thoughts?

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:04 pm

It depends on what you want to do when you graduate.

If you want to do criminal work, especially PD work, take the FPD spot. That'll be great experience for you, and generally I think DAs are more willing to take people who previously did PD work than vice versa.

If you want to do OCI and shoot for BigLaw, then do FTC.

Do you know if you'd be doing criminal or civil work for the USAO?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:14 pm

vanwinkle wrote:It depends on what you want to do when you graduate.

If you want to do criminal work, especially PD work, take the FPD spot. That'll be great experience for you, and generally I think DAs are more willing to take people who previously did PD work than vice versa.

Yeah, it's going to be criminal USAO. And no, don't really have any ambitions to go into criminal work. Mainly focused on biglaw.

Moral_Midgetry

Postby Moral_Midgetry » Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Yeah, it's going to be criminal USAO. And no, don't really have any ambitions to go into criminal work. Mainly focused on biglaw.

Considering this, your answer is definitely FTC. However, I do know former summers from my USAO that are currently first year associates at v50s.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:22 pm

Moral_Midgetry wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Mainly focused on biglaw.

Considering this, your answer is definitely FTC.

+1.

underdawg

Postby underdawg » Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:15 pm

Moral_Midgetry wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Considering this, your answer is definitely FTC. However, I do know former summers from my USAO that are currently first year associates at v50s.

???

there are zillions of first year associates at v50s that did their first summers at any number of spots. the only 1L summer job that will hurt you is the lack of one.

and for anyone wanting to do criminal work at some point in the future, USAO might mean you can never get a PD job in the future as they tend to be fanatical, so federal defender would keep both options open.

for OP, whatever seems more interesting is the correct choice. more interesting = can talk about it better in interviews = better OCI chances.

Return to “Legal Employment”