1L summer: reputable online job banks?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
sethc

1L summer: reputable online job banks?

Postby sethc » Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:28 pm

1L here in my 2nd term looking for jobs this summer. I'm aware it'll probably be non-paid.. and I'm also using my school's career office with openings and such. I searched through some of the stuff on this forum, but nothing really that was more or less in a single thread or post.

I just want to compile a list for my own reference of good, reputable, useful online job banks that cater to this kind of thing. It'd be a great sticky-post for this forum to help a lot more people in law school than just me + other 1Ls, I think. ESPECIALLY with the way the legal job market is right now! If you guys wanna contribute some good links, I also don't mind at all to compile them all in 1 list/1 post to share as a sticky, myself.

I'm easily WELL aware of how ignorant it is to use Monster/CareerBuilder etc. because they're so spamtastic and rarely have jobs that law students want/need. I figured that shit out even during undergrad--real quick. So far I've checked into Martindale.com and that's about the only one I've found so far that would be helpful to a list like this.

Anyone mind posting some other good ones?

sethc

Re: 1L summer: reputable online job banks?

Postby sethc » Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:25 am

Ok guys, I know a lot of people have probably said "fuck it" to responding to a more or less frivolous thread and that's fine, normally I wouldn't even mention it - I realize it's just an online forum.

But, I've gotten quite a few PMs asking me to send them the list when I'm finished. I plan to take care of that regardless, but I figured the rest of you might want to know this so we might get this thing going with the aim of making it a sticky. Apparently it definitely would help more than just me. Pitch in guys!

megaTTTron

Postby megaTTTron » Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:27 am

PSLawnet your school should have access.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:00 am

megaTTTron wrote:PSLawnet your school should have access.

This, and the Arizona government handbook, also likely available through your school's OCS.

sethc

Postby sethc » Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:13 am

Thanks, that's a really good one I hadn't heard of. Some of the job postings, from first glance, look like some of the ones my school occasionally sends out in an email. Interesting, I'll add it to the list - appreciate it!

Renzo wrote:This, and the Arizona government handbook, also likely available through your school's OCS.

Heh, I actually get your point and what you're saying.. but perhaps this might not be the best thread for clever wisecracks that are really vague?

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:15 am

sethc wrote:

Thanks, that's a really good one I hadn't heard of. Some of the job postings, from first glance, look like some of the ones my school occasionally sends out in an email. Interesting, I'll add it to the list - appreciate it!

Renzo wrote:This, and the Arizona government handbook, also likely available through your school's OCS.

Heh, I actually get your point and what you're saying.. but perhaps this might not be the best thread for clever wisecracks that are really vague?

Uh, there were no wisecracks. The Arizona government handbook is very helpful, and you need a password from your OCS.

sethc

Postby sethc » Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:02 am

Renzo wrote:Uh, there were no wisecracks. The Arizona government handbook is very helpful, and you need a password from your OCS.

Argh, see why the internet sucks for sarcasm sometimes? I totally thought you were referring to the whole AZ immigration thing and the fact that the state is a PR nightmare right now, legally speaking lol. My bad, it's late and dammit my Packers are going to the NFC 'Ship! Thanks though, I hadn't heard of that myself so I'll surely add it to the list.

random5483

Postby random5483 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:35 am

Your school should have access to "Symplicity" or something similar. My school usually has tons of postings on its webpage (school specific access). Other than PSLaw, there are several other choices.

Other than that, you can use NALP (mainly larger firms so might be too late) - http://www.nalp.org/nalpdirectoryoflegalemployers

Also, for court positions at the state level you just need to go to each county court (or appellate court's) website. Same with federal level courts.

MartinDale can be useful to search for legal jobs or law firms (smaller ones are listed here unlike NALP) - http://www.martindale.com/

Finally, go to the Department of Justice (state/federal), US Attorney's Office, Local County District Attorney (or Public Defender) Offices, etc. Send one to each of them (locations you are willing to work for free at).

sethc

Postby sethc » Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:46 am

random5483 wrote:Your school should have access to "Symplicity" or something similar. My school usually has tons of postings on its webpage (school specific access). Other than PSLaw, there are several other choices.

Other than that, you can use NALP (mainly larger firms so might be too late) - http://www.nalp.org/nalpdirectoryoflegalemployers

Also, for court positions at the state level you just need to go to each county court (or appellate court's) website. Same with federal level courts.

MartinDale can be useful to search for legal jobs or law firms (smaller ones are listed here unlike NALP) - http://www.martindale.com/

Finally, go to the Department of Justice (state/federal), US Attorney's Office, Local County District Attorney (or Public Defender) Offices, etc. Send one to each of them (locations you are willing to work for free at).

Great contribution, thanks. I'll add these & more to the list, including direct links to each State & Federal online-bank that lists jobs a law student would want to look into. Similarly, I know that http://www.USAjobs.gov is even a good place to throw in with Martindale etc. It sounds like a spamtastic source, but it's actually not. Before law school, I applied to plenty of jobs through it.

FOR MY LIST: I'm not going any lower than state level for my own job search. However, I will seek out all State & Federal-level job-banks & add to the list, but if anyone else wants to contribute stuff for particular cities (like NYC, LA, Chicago, etc.) I would definitely put them on there & in the appropriate places.. but I'm not going to look for them on my own because of time constraints. HERE is the cool part of making a public list for the forum: it's something I'd look at if I seen it in front of me (like a lot of people) but I'm not going to sift through Google looking for them.

Return to “Legal Employment”