TX Split Summers - Only One Okay for 1L? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: TX Split Summers - Only One Okay for 1L?

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:58 pm

Any BB Dallas offers out yet?

Stanford4Me

Platinum

Post by Stanford4Me » Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote: i recently read some articles on financial probs for BB in particular (i dont keep up much w/ FJ) and VE's litigation dept due to the recession; anyone see any glaring issues with either of them stability-wise? i guess economy is picking up again (yay!)
I know Fulbright Dallas had their biggest year last year. They're still hiring conservatively for SAs - trying to hire small classes to ensure higher offer rates. Whether or not that actually happens is debatable.

Edit: And stop abusing the Anonymous feature, d00ders.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:49 pm

Stanford4Me wrote:
Anonymous User wrote: i recently read some articles on financial probs for BB in particular (i dont keep up much w/ FJ) and VE's litigation dept due to the recession; anyone see any glaring issues with either of them stability-wise? i guess economy is picking up again (yay!)
I know Fulbright Dallas had their biggest year last year. They're still hiring conservatively for SAs - trying to hire small classes to ensure higher offer rates. Whether or not that actually happens is debatable.

Actually they had an awful offer rate last year. Word that I am hearing is that they are having financial issues.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Stanford4Me wrote:

Actually they had an awful offer rate last year. Word that I am hearing is that they are having financial issues.
I also think it's a bit strange that their program is only six weeks and is first half only, since (contrary to popular views on Dallas) there aren't many firms that do second half programs. Obviously this isn't a big deal for 1Ls, since getting any firm work is awesome, but as a 2L I had a problem with it, especially when several of the other firms extended to 10 weeks.

I also heard from lots of Dallas attorneys that Fulbright is having some financial problems and there are a lot of partners/associates looking to get out.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Stanford4Me wrote:

I also think it's a bit strange that their program is only six weeks and is first half only, since (contrary to popular views on Dallas) there aren't many firms that do second half programs. Obviously this isn't a big deal for 1Ls, since getting any firm work is awesome, but as a 2L I had a problem with it, especially when several of the other firms extended to 10 weeks.

I also heard from lots of Dallas attorneys that Fulbright is having some financial problems and there are a lot of partners/associates looking to get out.
i thought that for TX split summers where a 6 weeks first half was favored was somewhat the norm...or at least that firms were shifting to that model

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Stanford4Me

Platinum

Post by Stanford4Me » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Stanford4Me wrote:

I was told, by many @ Fulbright Dallas, that last year was a "record setting year" with regard to Dallas Office revenues. Can't speak for offers because I didn't look into that.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:22 am

Stanford4Me wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Stanford4Me wrote:

I was told, by many @ Fulbright Dallas, that last year was a "record setting year" with regard to Dallas Office revenues. Can't speak for offers because I didn't look into that.
I don't know. I've heard, as has the other poster, that there is serious issues happening in Dallas FJ. And, they no offered 50% of their class. Combine that with the 6wk only.. things don't add up to a healthy office in Dallas.

Stanford4Me

Platinum

Post by Stanford4Me » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:10 am

Anonymous User wrote: I don't know. I've heard, as has the other poster, that there is serious issues happening in Dallas FJ. And, they no offered 50% of their class. Combine that with the 6wk only.. things don't add up to a healthy office in Dallas.
Yeah, I definitely understand that w/ regard to offers things have been rough, and I am by no means saying that FJ is the epitome of financial stability. I was just relaying what was told to me. Could've been a bait-and-switch tactic (though I hope they wouldn't have numerous people blatantly lie to me about their financial position). Either way, I ended up going with another firm.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

i thought that for TX split summers where a 6 weeks first half was favored was somewhat the norm...or at least that firms were shifting to that model
Every big Dallas firm I applied to with the exception of Weil, HayBoo and Andrews Kurth were first half only (and I think HayBoo second half was basically full of students from their Fast Track 1L program) All of the first half firms had 8 or 10 week summer programs except Fulbright, so that really stood out to me.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”