NY DA v SEC Honors Program Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
gdin

New

NY DA v SEC Honors Program

Post by gdin » Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:52 pm

Which would be better for 2L summer? I assume SEC but was curious as to people's thoughts.

vamedic03

Gold

Re: NY DA v SEC Honors Program

Post by vamedic03 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:00 pm

gdin wrote:Which would be better for 2L summer? I assume SEC but was curious as to people's thoughts.
Um... If you want to do prosecution then NY DA. If you want to do securities regulation or civil litigation then SEC. In terms of prestige, especially if you're talking Manhattan DA, they're equal - but, they're very different.

flcath

Silver

Post by flcath » Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:08 pm

vamedic03 wrote:
gdin wrote:Which would be better for 2L summer? I assume SEC but was curious as to people's thoughts.
Um... If you want to do prosecution then NY DA. If you want to do securities regulation or civil litigation then SEC. In terms of prestige, especially if you're talking Manhattan DA, they're equal - but, they're very different.
How selective is the NY county DA summer gig? Yes, I know it's the most selective office in the country--blah blah blah, you don't need to impress me (I already am)--but in terms of selectivity, what seems to be the floor for getting into the program?

Regardless of the answer, the SEC is clearly the more prestigious program in the eyes of most.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:22 pm

DANY is hyper-selective, but not in the firm sense. They don't care about what school you went to and your GPA is only one of about 8 factors (I interned with below median grades from non-t14).

vamedic03

Gold

Post by vamedic03 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:01 am

flcath wrote:
vamedic03 wrote:
How selective is the NY county DA summer gig? Yes, I know it's the most selective office in the country--blah blah blah, you don't need to impress me (I already am)--but in terms of selectivity, what seems to be the floor for getting into the program?

Regardless of the answer, the SEC is clearly the more prestigious program in the eyes of most.
I don't really agree with your conclusion. The SEC is prestigious, but it's not more prestigious than NY DA. It's comparing apples and oranges - they're two very different organizations that are each prestigious in their own fields.

As far as deciding between the two, one really has to ask themselves what they're looking for and what they're interested in. If you want to do prosecution, you'd be really hard pressed to find a better place to spend a summer than NY DA; likewise, if you want to do financial regulation, SEC is a great place to be.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

LjakW

Bronze

Post by LjakW » Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:DANY is hyper-selective, but not in the firm sense. They don't care about what school you went to and your GPA is only one of about 8 factors (I interned with below median grades from non-t14).
Would you care to share the other seven factors?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:48 am

Dedication to public service, desire to be a prosecutor, desire to live in new york, judgment....might be some others

gdin

New

Post by gdin » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:56 am

i want to work in ny but likely in civil so i think the sec is prob a better fit for me.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”