working for school looked down upon?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

working for school looked down upon?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:35 pm

Top-6 school 1L here. Have an interview with a PI center at my school. It deals with things very pertinent to the private sector, so it wouldn't be a bad opportunity to learn about things that are both interesting and useful.

My question is whether working for my school would look desperate next year at OCI - this isn't a late March hail mary or anything, I could easily keep looking and probably find something independent of my school, although I am really interested in the work this center does and probably more so than I would be in other PI work. But the endgame is biglaw.

There's also the lingering suspicion that I wouldn't do as much legal work as I would elsewhere (i.e., would end up doing a lot of policy research, rather than legal memos etc.), which concerns me. Should I forget about it?

Informative

Re: working for school looked down upon?

Postby Informative » Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:53 pm

No one cares what you do 1L summer. All that matters is what you do 2L summer.

vamedic03

Postby vamedic03 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:17 pm

Working for the school in some capacity 1L summer is completely normal. I know lots of people who were RA's 1L summer and are going to be working for V5 & V10 firms.

cornellbeez

Postby cornellbeez » Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:42 pm

Informative wrote:No one cares what you do 1L summer. All that matters is what you do 2L summer.

This. You only need to do something legal. It doesn't matter what, and firms don't care.

Return to “Legal Employment”