2L at a T20...Help

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

2L at a T20...Help

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:27 pm

So 1L year I despised law school was miserable etc. ended up finishing slightly below the median mostly due to 2 not so stellar grades. Obviously I got nothing from OCI being below the median. Last semester I totally killed it and in 3 of my 4 classes got the 2nd highest grade in the class raising my GPA from below the median to about the top 1/3. Does anyone have any advice on how to proceed? Our spring OCI has 2 law firms and career services hasn't been that helpful aside from saying try and network and that smaller law firms will start hiring later in the spring.

I'm in a major market so at least i have that

General Tso

Re: 2L at a T20...Help

Postby General Tso » Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:28 pm

probably not going to make that big of a difference unfortunately

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So 1L year I despised law school was miserable etc. ended up finishing slightly below the median mostly due to 2 not so stellar grades. Obviously I got nothing from OCI being below the median. Last semester I totally killed it and in 3 of my 4 classes got the 2nd highest grade in the class raising my GPA from below the median to about the top 1/3. Does anyone have any advice on how to proceed? Our spring OCI has 2 law firms and career services hasn't been that helpful aside from saying try and network and that smaller law firms will start hiring later in the spring.

I'm in a major market so at least i have that

Aside from mass mailing obviously. Should I re-contact firms that interviewed @ OCI with my now greatly improved resume?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:33 pm

General Tso wrote:probably not going to make that big of a difference unfortunately

are 2L grades that worthless or is it just that the legal economy is a pile of crap

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:33 pm

they've already finished hiring for this year...what would be the point? I'd be applying to firms that DIDNT attend OCI at your school. Other than that, just wait for 3L OCI.

daesonesb

Postby daesonesb » Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:18 pm

I don't see how networking your ass off is bad advice. Seems like it is the best bet you have of still getting an SA'ship somewhere, right?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:50 am

I'm in kind of the same situation, but I had great grades at a t3 and now I'm at a t30 with even better grades. I would probably have had like a 90%+ chance at a biglaw SA if I would have had these kinds of grades and been at that school to begin with. Don't really know what to do right now.

megaTTTron

Postby megaTTTron » Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:09 am

General Tso wrote:they've already finished hiring for this year...what would be the point? I'd be applying to firms that DIDNT attend OCI at your school. Other than that, just wait for 3L OCI.

this. biglaw is done. you could try gov't stuff that's still hiring. but tcr is 3L OCI. keep up the good work!

MrAnon

Postby MrAnon » Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:29 pm

Lots of people start to figure it out by 2L and come away with stellar grades. There is not as much pressure though and unfortunately that is why 1L matters the most. You should look for a small law job.

Return to “Legal Employment”