Summer Housing in NYC

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
aquasaqua

Summer Housing in NYC

Postby aquasaqua » Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:15 am

Anybody have any tips for finding housing for the summer in New York? NYU put up their application recently and I'm wondering if I should just bite the bullet and pay $500+/week. I don't want to wait and then not have anything. Any suggestions?

jasonc.

Re: Summer Housing in NYC

Postby jasonc. » Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:30 am

Rent a room in bk! It should run you 600 to700 hundred a month . Check out craigslist and of course be careful!

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:36 am

I lived in the NYU dorms for a year. They're expensive, but the neighborhood is great, and if you don't live here it can be a really easy option. Finding rentals in NYC is not easy, especially if you aren't here to visit apts. and check them out.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:55 am

I've also heard NYU is the way to go, except you can't move in until May 29th, which is later than the start date for almost all of the firms. Other options: craigslist (1-2 months before), corporate temporary housing (~$2300/month for a furnished studio), and the NALP Housing Exchange

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:02 am

I'm working at Davis Polk this summer, and they've sworn up and down that we'll have access to apartment broker something or another services. You might want to see if your firm does something similar and then decide whether or not it's worth waiting to hear from them before looking yourself. You may also want to talk to 3Ls about where they were able to find housing.

I've also heard praise for the NYU dorms if only for simplicity's sake.

Big Shrimpin

Postby Big Shrimpin » Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:NALP Housing Exchange

I've checked out the website, but for some reason it wouldn't let me sign up. Does anyone have experience with this? Is it any cheaper than the NYU dorms? Surely, the cheapest option would be that lofstel thing, but it looks really sketchy to me. I'm paying rent at my school apartment in a different city plus NYC this summer. Yikes. Buh-bye paycheck.

tysmiller

Postby tysmiller » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:27 pm

This is probably not what you had in mind, but I am looking to sublet my apartment for the summer. $800/month for one bedroom in a three bedroom of CLS students just inside Harlem. 30 minute commute to NYU. PM if you want to know more.

bradnyk

Postby bradnyk » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:49 pm

I'm looking for someone to share a 2BR/1BA apartment (1000 sq feet) in the West Village area for the summer. It is fully furnished in a very nice area of the city. It is available from early May until August (3 month minimum). If anyone is interested, please PM me.

Brad

democrattotheend

Postby democrattotheend » Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:52 pm

bradnyk wrote:I'm looking for someone to share a 2BR/1BA apartment (1000 sq feet) in the West Village area for the summer. It is fully furnished in a very nice area of the city. It is available from early May until August (3 month minimum). If anyone is interested, please PM me.

Brad

I might be. What is the rent?

starrydreamz3

Postby starrydreamz3 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:14 pm

Lived in the New School Dorms in NYC int eh financial district. Great location if you are downtown. Right on the corner of Maiden and William

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:44 pm

jasonc. wrote:Rent a room in bk! It should run you 600 to700 hundred a month . Check out craigslist and of course be careful!

cr. You can buy a decent handgun in Brooklyn for under 500 bucks.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm working at Davis Polk this summer, and they've sworn up and down that we'll have access to apartment broker something or another services. You might want to see if your firm does something similar and then decide whether or not it's worth waiting to hear from them before looking yourself. You may also want to talk to 3Ls about where they were able to find housing.

I've also heard praise for the NYU dorms if only for simplicity's sake.

Not to threadjack but have you heard from them at all since you accepted? They said I should get some info after the new year, but not a peep so far.

Return to “Legal Employment”