Clerkship w/ grades at Top 1/3rd?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Do I have a decent shot at a district court clerkship?

Yes
39%
No
61%

Total votes: 23

Anonymous User

Clerkship w/ grades at Top 1/3rd?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:58 am

So, I'm a 2L who just got my grades back, and after a surprisingly good semester (by far my best yet) I've gone from middle-of-the-class to just about the top 1/3rd mark (I'm at the 33rd percentile cut-off). I'm at a T14.

What are my chances at a clerkship in either Southern Dist. of CA or the Dist. of Arizona? As far as my recommendations, I've got a fed judge willing to make calls to judges she knows well in those two districts.

Anyway, what are my chances in either of those two district courts? I know sitting at the 33rd percentile isn't great, so what do you guys think?

Thanks!
Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed May 04, 2011 11:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.

ggocat

Re: Clerkship w/ mediocre grades?

Postby ggocat » Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:05 am

If the judge will make phone calls on your behalf, then yes. I wouldn't expect much (if anything) to come out of an OSCAR-bomb.

iagolives

Postby iagolives » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:11 am

ggocat wrote:If the judge will make phone calls on your behalf, then yes. I wouldn't expect much (if anything) to come out of an OSCAR-bomb.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:00 pm

Yes, the judge has offered to make calls to several judges she personally knows very well.

So I guess basically I know that Top 1/3rd at a UT/UCLA/Vandy/USC isn't stellar, but I'm just trying to decide whether I should bust a** this semester (my 2nd 2L semester) for either a District Judge clerkship or even a magistrate clerkship in one of the districts I mentioned.

If my clerkship chances are too slim, I see no reason in busting a** for what can only be a minimal improvement in my grades at this late point.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Anonymous User

Re: Clerkship w/ grades at Top 1/3rd?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:11 pm

bump

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:07 pm

How important is taking classes like fed courts, compared to getting high grades in easy stuff?

bob sacamano

Postby bob sacamano » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:30 pm

So, would I have any better shot at state CoA's in those areas, or even with a federal magistrate?
Last edited by bob sacamano on Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

XxSpyKEx

Postby XxSpyKEx » Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Clerkship w/ grades at Top 1/3rd?

LOL.

I think the two people who hit "yes" on the poll must have been drunk and accidentally hit "yes" when they actually meant "no" (or, alternatively, they haven't gone through the clerkship hiring cycle this last year or two and have no clue as to how competitive federal clerkships are now).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:30 am

I'm not too sure, but while a district court judge may be pretty iffy with those grades, I wouldn't think that a magistrate would be necessarily out of the question with real help from the federal judge.

Couple district-specific factoids:

1. Dist. of Ariz. is far less competitive than S. D. of Cal. Think about it. Someone who clerks in Arizona is likely either from there or only went there because it was the best clerkship he/she got (and he/she was totally committed to clerking). S.D. Cal. is probably going to involve competition with a lot more HYS types, given that it's a far more popular place for a young person to live.

2. Both districts have HUGE criminal dockets. Given their proximity to the border (and the resultant border-related crimes) this isn't at all surprising. I know of at least one judge in the area that asked specifically whether his clerk applicants were interested in working on those kinds of cases, since most clerks have top grades and most people with top grades don't want to wallow around in that kind of non-glamorous stuff.

Richie Tenenbaum

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:39 am

Sorry if I'm derailing this thread at all, but was curious on the opinion of those with experience on what percentile is needed from UT to have a shot at a federal clerkship in TX? Top 15%? Top 10%?

ggocat

Postby ggocat » Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:22 am

Richie Tenenbaum wrote:Sorry if I'm derailing this thread at all, but was curious on the opinion of those with experience on what percentile is needed from UT to have a shot at a federal clerkship in TX? Top 15%? Top 10%?

Decent shot in Texas with top 15%. Law review? Even better.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:08 pm

So, 3.6 @ UT is 25%, what are good guesses at 20%, 15%?

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm at a lower T-15.

What is this I don't even

PriyaRai

Postby PriyaRai » Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:26 pm

He's at UT and aced a class with Dan Rodriguez.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:43 pm

PriyaRai wrote:He's at UT and aced a class with Dan Rodriguez.

Or Matt Spitzer.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 04, 2011 11:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm not too sure, but while a district court judge may be pretty iffy with those grades, I wouldn't think that a magistrate would be necessarily out of the question with real help from the federal judge.

Couple district-specific factoids:

1. Dist. of Ariz. is far less competitive than S. D. of Cal. Think about it. Someone who clerks in Arizona is likely either from there or only went there because it was the best clerkship he/she got (and he/she was totally committed to clerking). S.D. Cal. is probably going to involve competition with a lot more HYS types, given that it's a far more popular place for a young person to live.

2. Both districts have HUGE criminal dockets. Given their proximity to the border (and the resultant border-related crimes) this isn't at all surprising. I know of at least one judge in the area that asked specifically whether his clerk applicants were interested in working on those kinds of cases, since most clerks have top grades and most people with top grades don't want to wallow around in that kind of non-glamorous stuff.

Although I think a lot of SD California's criminal docket goes through the El Centro courthouse, so maybe that lessens the crim load in San Diego. Although they only have like one or two magistrates in El Centro, so I dunno how much that really reduces San Diego's crim caseload

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Wed May 04, 2011 11:49 pm

This thread is relevant to my interests.

P.S. Love the Texas is T-14 trolling.

Return to “Legal Employment”