What does the voicemail mean??

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273532
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

What does the voicemail mean??

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:49 pm

I interviewed for a federal judicial clerkship this week, and I received a voicemail this evening from the law clerk who interviewed me. He left the office before I had a chance to call back. In the voicemail, he just said to call him - fairly even toned, nothing like "Hey, I have great news for you!" or "We have a few more questions for you." Just asked me to call.

QUESTION: Would he really call to tell me I didn't get the position? It's only been two days since the interview! I thought I did well, but I know they had numerous applicants. I'm at a T50 school in a tough market. Thoughts?? Anything to help me get some sleep tonight is appreciated.

User avatar
Adjudicator
Posts: 1108
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:18 am

Re: What does the voicemail mean??

Postby Adjudicator » Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:52 pm

You're Michael Jordan and its the Bulls calling you back out of retir..... wait, wrong thread. Sorry.

Geist13
Posts: 739
Joined: Sat Oct 10, 2009 3:21 pm

Re: What does the voicemail mean??

Postby Geist13 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:53 pm

I don't know how the legal employers do things, but in my experience you never get called to tell you they're hiring someone else. Most employers send letters.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273532
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: What does the voicemail mean??

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:59 pm

Geist13 wrote:I don't know how the legal employers do things, but in my experience you never get called to tell you they're hiring someone else. Most employers send letters.



That's what I'm thinking too (surprising, I'm sure). Why would he want to hear my disappoint? Envision the tears in my eyes? He also told me they would be making a decision "shortly."

Ugh. Why don't these people work till 10pm??

Sup Kid
Posts: 557
Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:49 pm

Re: What does the voicemail mean??

Postby Sup Kid » Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:12 am

If they are calling to tell you that you weren't selected, be happy that you weren't. Who wants to work for people with no hearts? Hell, even the law firms representing tobacco and gun companies just send a letter or email...

Anonymous User
Posts: 273532
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: What does the voicemail mean??

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:31 am

Sup Kid wrote:If they are calling to tell you that you weren't selected, be happy that you weren't. Who wants to work for people with no hearts? Hell, even the law firms representing tobacco and gun companies just send a letter or email...


Right?! Another good point. Ok, I can rest easy now. Thanks folks.

Sandro
Posts: 2526
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:12 am

Re: What does the voicemail mean??

Postby Sandro » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:01 am

Adjudicator wrote:You're Michael Jordan and its the Bulls calling you back out of retir..... wait, wrong thread. Sorry.


LOL :lol:

User avatar
uk4220
Posts: 29
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:32 pm

Re: What does the voicemail mean??

Postby uk4220 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:12 am

Adjudicator wrote:You're Michael Jordan and its the Bulls calling you back out of retir..... wait, wrong thread. Sorry.


Hahaha

Seriously - what is it with these telephone phobias?? Call them back!

Aqualibrium
Posts: 2011
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:57 am

Re: What does the voicemail mean??

Postby Aqualibrium » Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:06 am

Sup Kid wrote:If they are calling to tell you that you weren't selected, be happy that you weren't. Who wants to work for people with no hearts? Hell, even the law firms representing tobacco and gun companies just send a letter or email...


I've gotten a rejection call before, and I don't think it's heartless. I actually really appreciated it. The hiring partner at the firm told me everyone loved me, but they needed me to get my grades up a bit, and that I should keep in touch with them.

I kept in touch with the folks at the firm all summer, and when grades came out that summer, he emailed me and asked how I did. I did much better, and he congratulated me and said we'd see each other at OCI. The OCI interview was basically a formality, it was supposed to be 20 minutes, I left in 5. I got the callback phone call the next day, and within an hour of being at their office I had the job offer.

That's obviously not the situation here though. You kids amaze me with your constant worrying. He's probably calling to give you the offer.

User avatar
underdawg
Posts: 1131
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:15 am

Re: What does the voicemail mean??

Postby underdawg » Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:55 pm

i got an "evenhanded" call like that and it was..........them wanting me to interview again because they weren't sure!

i did get the offer tho eventually, so if it's the off-chance that it's something kooky like that, take it in stride. they wouldn't bother to interview you again if you couldn't get the job. again, super rare that this is happening, but it's always a possibility.

User avatar
ggocat
Posts: 1663
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:51 pm

Re: What does the voicemail mean??

Postby ggocat » Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:35 pm

If this is for a clerkship, I don't think it's likely an offer. Judge would probably make the phone call.

If this is for an internship, it's probably an offer.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273532
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: What does the voicemail mean??

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:50 pm

ggocat wrote:If this is for a clerkship, I don't think it's likely an offer. Judge would probably make the phone call.

If this is for an internship, it's probably an offer.



Just to let you all know - I got it! Phew. Thanks for all your posts. To earlier message, I am many, many years out of college so I do not fit in the "kids" category. Just the excited-to-have-a-job-for-the-summer category.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273532
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: What does the voicemail mean??

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:23 pm

Revival time. Same voicemail but from the Judge theselves. Thoughts?

User avatar
Kratos
Posts: 6779
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2014 3:50 pm

Re: What does the voicemail mean??

Postby Kratos » Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Revival time. Same voicemail but from the Judge theselves. Thoughts?

go get drunk and stop being neurotic

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13918
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: What does the voicemail mean??

Postby rinkrat19 » Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:37 pm

Geist13 wrote:I don't know how the legal employers do things, but in my experience you never get called to tell you they're hiring someone else. Most employers send letters.

I don't know how judges do things, but I HAVE received a firm rejection by phone call. (I think it was because I was literally the 6th person on a list when they hired 5, so I had already known I was really close.) Also "we're taking some extra time to decide."

Anonymous User
Posts: 273532
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: What does the voicemail mean??

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:54 pm

ggocat wrote:If this is for a clerkship, I don't think it's likely an offer. Judge would probably make the phone call.

If this is for an internship, it's probably an offer.


In our chambers, FWIW, the protocol was to call the candidate and tell them that the judge would like to speak to him/her if he/she is prepared to accept an offer.

User avatar
A. Nony Mouse
Posts: 22879
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 am

Re: What does the voicemail mean??

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:14 pm

I got a voicemail like that from the judge who offered me the job (when he was calling to offer me the position). I highly doubt the judge will personally call you to reject you, unless they're a sadist or masochist. But they could theoretically want additional information or need to fill you on something they forgot to tell you about the process. There's nothing you can do until they call back.

wwwcol
Posts: 251
Joined: Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:57 am

Re: What does the voicemail mean??

Postby wwwcol » Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:35 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:I got a voicemail like that from the judge who offered me the job (when he was calling to offer me the position). I highly doubt the judge will personally call you to reject you, unless they're a sadist or masochist. But they could theoretically want additional information or need to fill you on something they forgot to tell you about the process. There's nothing you can do until they call back.


A lot of judges will call applicants personally to let them know the outcome of their interview, whether accept or reject. While it would be one thing for firms to call with rejections, I don't think it is sadistic at all for judges to give applicants the courtesy of a phone call. Having been on the end of more than one of these rejections, it's dissapointing at the time but on the other hand I respect judges more who call than who send a generic mass email.

User avatar
A. Nony Mouse
Posts: 22879
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 am

Re: What does the voicemail mean??

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:45 pm

wwwcol wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:I got a voicemail like that from the judge who offered me the job (when he was calling to offer me the position). I highly doubt the judge will personally call you to reject you, unless they're a sadist or masochist. But they could theoretically want additional information or need to fill you on something they forgot to tell you about the process. There's nothing you can do until they call back.


A lot of judges will call applicants personally to let them know the outcome of their interview, whether accept or reject. While it would be one thing for firms to call with rejections, I don't think it is sadistic at all for judges to give applicants the courtesy of a phone call. Having been on the end of more than one of these rejections, it's dissapointing at the time but on the other hand I respect judges more who call than who send a generic mass email.

You're right, that makes a lot of sense - I take back what I said.

User avatar
jessuf
Posts: 12569
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:27 pm

Re: What does the voicemail mean??

Postby jessuf » Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:53 pm

I feel like a call from a judge is 90% guaranteed to be an offer. If the judge wants another writing sample or whatever, the JA or law clerk would reach out to you. I've honestly never heard of phone call rejections. My judge plus all of the judges who have rejected me in the past post-interview do letters for rejections.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273532
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: What does the voicemail mean??

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:19 pm

Kratos wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Revival time. Same voicemail but from the Judge theselves. Thoughts?

go get drunk and stop being neurotic


So you think I got it?!?! .... jk.


My SO gave me the same advice. I took the get drunk part, the not be neurotic part, well that's just not realistic.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273532
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: What does the voicemail mean??

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Apr 11, 2015 11:42 pm

What court is this? D. Ct. CoA?

User avatar
Kratos
Posts: 6779
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2014 3:50 pm

Re: What does the voicemail mean??

Postby Kratos » Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What court is this? D. Ct. CoA?

why is this relevant and why are you anon?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273532
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: What does the voicemail mean??

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 14, 2015 2:53 pm

How bout this... Had a call back (1+ month ago) - No call, no letter, no email of rejection. Sent follow up, no reply.

I know there have been people denied via phone (1 week post CB). I'm assuming I am out, but what gives?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273532
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: What does the voicemail mean??

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Apr 18, 2015 6:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Revival time. Same voicemail but from the Judge theselves. Thoughts?


It was an offer.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.