2 grades so far, below median..help?! Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
MrAnon

Gold

Re: 2 grades so far, below median..help?!

Post by MrAnon » Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:13 am

"stay in school" is the cardinal rule around here. Anything said against it is heresy.

berkeleykel06

Bronze

Post by berkeleykel06 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:14 am

romothesavior wrote:Really have no idea how what I posted was being a jerk. Nor do I see how posting memes with the anon feature is appropriate.
For starters, you attacked someone for being an 0L who wasn't and you numbered your freaking responses. You also clearly overreacted. I truly don't see the difference between what you said and what mapnoren said:

You said the OP probably won't get the job; Map said don't worry because most people don't get paid 1L jobs (implying Map also thinks OP probably won't get the job).
You said OP isn't in dropout range; Map told OP not to drop out.
You said OP should meet with professors to figure out what went wrong (ie basically find a way to improve your grades); Map said that it is essential to have strong grades at the end of 1L (implying OP must find a way to improve his/her grades).

The only difference was that Map said not to allow TLSers to freak him/her out. But for all we know this was solely directed at MrAnon, who had already implied that the OP should consider dropping out.

megaTTTron

Silver

Post by megaTTTron » Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:16 am

berkeleykel06 wrote:
romothesavior wrote:Really have no idea how what I posted was being a jerk. Nor do I see how posting memes with the anon feature is appropriate.
For starters, you attacked someone for being an 0L who wasn't and you numbered your freaking responses. You also clearly overreacted. I truly don't see the difference between what you said and what mapnoren said:

You said the OP probably won't get the job; Map said don't worry because most people don't get paid 1L jobs (implying Map also thinks OP probably won't get the job).
You said OP should meet with professors to figure out what went wrong (ie basically find a way to improve your grades); Map said that it is essential to have strong grades at the end of 1L (implying OP must find a way to improve his/her grades).

The only difference was that Map said not to allow TLSers to freak him/her out. But for all we know this was solely directed at MrAnon, who had already implied that the OP should consider dropping out.
hahah, true though. (i number all the time for sass-effect)

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:26 am

suebee2 wrote:--ImageRemoved--
Banned for alting.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:06 am

berkeleykel06 wrote:

I number my points for brevity all the time, and I'll do so again.

1. I did not attack him for being a 0L. I've never seen that poster before in all my time on TLS. I simply asked if he was a 0L, and said if he was, he should stop giving advice.
2. My main point was that no one was being a "hater." The term hater is one of my least favorite terms of all time. Some people treat any and all criticism as "hating," or treat any and all frank and honest assessments as "hating." If someone asks for advice or input, and that input is "Sorry dude, you're probably not in good shape for a 1L gig," that is not "hating." That is simply doing what that person asked.
3. I have been nothing but respectful in this thread. But thanks for calling me out.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

burvowski

Bronze

Post by burvowski » Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:02 pm

what do you guys think? drop out? t1 school

3.0 curve....C+, C, B, B putting me at 2.55.

Legal Writing isn't graded first semester, but I have around a B right now

never been interested in big law. just wondering what my chances are at some kind of legal employment.

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:14 pm

burvowski wrote:what do you guys think? drop out? t1 school

3.0 curve....C+, C, B, B putting me at 2.55.

Legal Writing isn't graded first semester, but I have around a B right now

never been interested in big law. just wondering what my chances are at some kind of legal employment.
Hanging your own shingle has no GPA requirement.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:16 pm

OP here

I know few people with bad grades ever post them on TLS (believe me, I've searched to get an idea of my fate lol). Anyhow, to update how my grades turned out in case someone else is searching for the same info (as there are several hundred people below median at UT/UCLA/Vandy/GULC [hehe])

1st semester: B-, B, A, B+ (3.23 GPA)
2nd semester: B+, A-, A-, A (3.68 GPA)
Cumulative 3.44

While my overall GPA isn't great, I think I've pulled myself out of the /self zone. Moral of the story: don't give up hope.

blurbz

Silver

Post by blurbz » Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:26 pm

Quite the turnaround. Congratulations!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:03 pm

Where does that put you then? top 40%?

MrAnon

Gold

Post by MrAnon » Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:26 pm

B- is a bad grade plain and simple. Biglaw firms absolutely do not hire people from your range of school, if any range of school, with a B-. You need to target public interest, solos, small firms, insurance defense, that sort of thing.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:31 pm

Ah, I forgot about this thread. Got attacked for absolutely nothing. Good times on TLS.

Anyways, congrats on the turnaround OP! I agree with Mr. Anon that you are not out of the woods yet, and OCI is probably out if you aren't at a T14 or close to it. In any case, you should be out pounding the pavement and having coffee/informational interviews with every alumni member you can talk to. Do everything you can to put yourself in a position to get a job. You may not make it rain straight out of law school, but you have given yourself a chance to become employed as a lawyer. Good job righting the ship.

seatown12

Silver

Post by seatown12 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:08 pm

MrAnon wrote:B- is a bad grade plain and simple. Biglaw firms absolutely do not hire people from your range of school, if any range of school, with a B-. You need to target public interest, solos, small firms, insurance defense, that sort of thing.
Dude you advised OP to drop out and s/he subsequently had a 3.68 semester. Enjoy your crow.
romothesavior wrote:OCI is probably out if you aren't at a T14 or close to it.
OP said s/he was at UCLA/UT/Vandy in the first post.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

What the f.supp?

Bronze

Post by What the f.supp? » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:53 pm

MrAnon and Romo's posts are just absurd and overly harsh with their sweeping generalizations (e.g. no biglaw if you ever received a single B-).

Read the recruiter thread--OCI realizes you're human and they care about trends. I twice got the equivalent of a B- my 1L year and then after kicking butt in 1L spring and 2L fall, now work in DC biglaw (I'm 24 and white; no real work experience). Plenty of my classmates and friends at other schools received one or two lower grades and have great SAs now.

This is my first and last ad hominem post, but my guess is--judging by the stupid stuff they say--that Anon and Romo are unable to retain a single friend from whom they would be able to gather information about how things are in the real world. Yes, you should be out networking at CLE conferences in your interest area(s), but so should everyone--even those with jobs locked up--since you meet many of the movers and shakers in your field.

A couple B- grades in no way dooms you. The last people to whom you want to listen when deciding to abandon a dream (or once a dream) are some of the tools that post on TLS. What makes them credible to you? Talk to someone you trust, ask your favorite professor, email a couple recruiters, you get the idea.

MrAnon

Gold

Post by MrAnon » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:14 pm

What the f.supp? wrote:MrAnon and Romo's posts are just absurd and overly harsh with their sweeping generalizations (e.g. no biglaw if you ever received a single B-).

Read the recruiter thread--OCI realizes you're human and they care about trends. I twice got the equivalent of a B- my 1L year and then after kicking butt in 1L spring and 2L fall, now work in DC biglaw (I'm 24 and white; no real work experience). Plenty of my classmates and friends at other schools received one or two lower grades and have great SAs now.

This is my first and last ad hominem post, but my guess is--judging by the stupid stuff they say--that Anon and Romo are unable to retain a single friend from whom they would be able to gather information about how things are in the real world. Yes, you should be out networking at CLE conferences in your interest area(s), but so should everyone--even those with jobs locked up--since you meet many of the movers and shakers in your field.

A couple B- grades in no way dooms you. The last people to whom you want to listen when deciding to abandon a dream (or once a dream) are some of the tools that post on TLS. What makes them credible to you? Talk to someone you trust, ask your favorite professor, email a couple recruiters, you get the idea.
I won't disagree with anything you said EXCEPT that emailing recruiters to discuss your B minus is HORRIBLE advice. do not do this. And the recruiter in the other thread apparently does 3L hiring. Wherever he/she works it is not called biglaw so don't get confused. Firms that do 3L hiring have all kinds of local subjective criteria.

stratocophic

Gold

Post by stratocophic » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:36 pm

What the f.supp? wrote:MrAnon and Romo's posts are just absurd and overly harsh with their sweeping generalizations (e.g. no biglaw if you ever received a single B-).

Did you even read his posts :|

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:17 am

stratocophic wrote:

Did you even read his posts :|
He clearly didn't read a damn thing I've said ITT. (I never, ever said a B- would prevent him from getting a 2L SA, but his RC is obviously quite poor.)

I was the first one to tell OP not to drop out, and I've been nothing but encouraging and optimistic ITT. Prior to OP's turnaround this semester, his shot at a biglaw job was poor. Now, he's probably got a 50/50 shot or a little less (depending on his resume and background). His diversity status certainly could help, and he goes to a good school. I told OP not to drop out, I encouraged him, I wished him luck... yet f.supp thinks I'm a mouth-breathing, friendless loser who was a harsh jerk to OP. :roll:

I am baffled trying to figure out why I'm taking all this shit ITT.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

paulinaporizkova

Gold

Post by paulinaporizkova » Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:28 am

mapnoren wrote:Don't let people on TLS freak you out. While those grades are not wonderful, you still have more to come. In addition, you have second semester as well to bring your gpa up. Many students do not have a paid summer job after the first year. Thus, it is essential to have strong grades at the end of 1L for 2L OCI, but don't sweat it now, and certainly do not drop out! You have worked too hard and expended too much effort to let some haters on TLS convince you to throw it all away.
6 month bump because I think the placement of "Thus" in this paragraph is delightful

Hannibal

Gold

Post by Hannibal » Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:38 am

Congrats to OP on the turnaround. Also, this thread makes me weep for the ability of TLS users to give reasoned feedback.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:26 pm

OP here (again)

Thanks for the congratulatory remarks. @Romo, I feel like you've been pretty supportive. MrAnon's been the only douchey one (but then again, it's his schtick so I don't really care).

I know OCI will be rough, but I'm just relieved that I'm at least a good bit above the median, and with a summer class I'm taking, I'll probably end up being top 1/3 or at the very least top 35% by the time OCI rolls around. Sure, it's not the most ideal place to be, but I'm pretty satisfied considering the mindfuck 1st semester grades put me through.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:43 am

What the f.supp? wrote:This is my first and last ad hominem post, but my guess is--judging by the stupid stuff they say--that Anon and Romo are unable to retain a single friend from whom they would be able to gather information about how things are in the real world.
Because you were dumb enough to admit you're making ad homs:

Also, you have 27 posts. Maybe you should take time reading what other people are writing, especially someone like Romo who's known for being generally helpful, before you start attacking them.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”