One L Judicial Internships and Writing Samples

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
CSKNJ

One L Judicial Internships and Writing Samples

Postby CSKNJ » Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:43 pm

I'm sending out judicial internship mailers and was wondering if I should include my writing sample (first semester memo) or wait for the judge's office to request one? Thanks.

Geist13

Re: One L Judicial Internships and Writing Samples

Postby Geist13 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:08 pm

I included mine. Figured if they didn't want to read it, they could put it in the trash where it belongs anyway.

missinglink

Postby missinglink » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:10 pm

Include it.

It's more work on their end if they have to contact you and request it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:38 pm

When I applied, I didn't include one. But now that I'm a law clerk responsible for deciding who gets hired, I can definitely say that I prefer to see a writing sample. That being said, I typically look at the writing sample only to rule out candidates. So if your cover letter is perfect and your resume is acceptable, I would not include one.

Geist13

Postby Geist13 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:When I applied, I didn't include one. But now that I'm a law clerk responsible for deciding who gets hired, I can definitely say that I prefer to see a writing sample. That being said, I typically look at the writing sample only to rule out candidates. So if your cover letter is perfect and your resume is acceptable, I would not include one.

Are you implying that if your application materials are solid, the writing sample can only serve to harm you until it is actually requested?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:21 am

Geist13 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:When I applied, I didn't include one. But now that I'm a law clerk responsible for deciding who gets hired, I can definitely say that I prefer to see a writing sample. That being said, I typically look at the writing sample only to rule out candidates. So if your cover letter is perfect and your resume is acceptable, I would not include one.

Are you implying that if your application materials are solid, the writing sample can only serve to harm you until it is actually requested?

Yes.

Return to “Legal Employment”