invitation to apply as a 2L?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Geist13

invitation to apply as a 2L?

Postby Geist13 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:19 pm

Is it common for a firm who rejected your 1L application because they do not hire 1Ls to invite you to apply for a 2L SA?

I've also had a federal judge respond that he has no more room for interns but inviting me to apply for a clerkship when the time comes. I assume this is common. Is that true?

DallasCowboy

Re: invitation to apply as a 2L?

Postby DallasCowboy » Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:36 pm

yes. I actually had one firm not say that, though.

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:57 pm

Common and meaningless. Typed letter on firm stationery? Meaningless. Typed letter on firm stationery from desk of hiring partner? Still meaningless. Now, typed letter on firm stationery from desk of hiring partner WITH handwritten notes in the margins from the hiring partner? Actually still meaningless. Firms WANT you to reapply. It's free money for them and helps their exclusivity ratings in USNWR.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:16 pm

This might not be typical, but last year I applied for a 1L position to the firm I wanted to work for and they sent me an invitation to apply as a 2L. I emailed the recruiting coordinator with a quick thank you letter and told her I would definitely be applying. She responded asking if I could interview sooner rather than later. So I interviewed in April of 1L year and had an offer by May. Saved me the trouble of worrying all summer, and having to go through OCI.

Return to “Legal Employment”