~3.1 at one of MVP Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
megaTTTron

Silver

Re: ~3.1 at one of MVP

Post by megaTTTron » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:55 am

Anonymous User wrote:You're going to need to haul ass second semester and get some As/A-s. Fwiw, my grades were all over the ballpark 1L year, and I ended up getting a job through on-campus recruiting. (I got a B- and B 1L year, which were balanced out with As.) Firms pretty much just look at the cumulative GPA. Change your study methods, study more, bring up that GPA. I would wait to see how the second semester goes before deciding whether to drop out or not.
True, although a C or lower (depending on the curve, maybe a C- or D) might raise some eyebrows.

OperaAttorney

Silver

Post by OperaAttorney » Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:54 pm

Aqualibrium wrote:
Veyron wrote:
Anonymous Loser wrote:3L here. Many of my classmates have made dramatic improvements in their GPA's since fall semester of 1L year. Unfortunately, no on cares. All of the critical hiring decisions relevant to large law firms are made almost exclusively on the basis of 1L grades. This means that the OP has a very limited opportunity to raise his GPA: even straight A's spring semester will likely not shift his GPA much above median. The OP may well graduate with latin honors after padding his GPA with 2L and 3L seminars, but by that point many employment opportunities will be foreclosed. Moreover, after doing so poorly fall semester, there is little reason to believe that the OP will surpass his classmates, the majority of whom are much better at law school than he is.
Meh, he doesn't need to shift above median. Near median and killer interview skills and a good bid strategy can still win the day at MVP [the bottom 1/3 is going to be permafucked no matter what tho] (now, on my part, I just HOAP and PRAY that I'm not so far below median that even a recovery to around median is out of the cards).
"Killer interview skills" are a rarity. That's why grades and school are such an important part of the equation for most people.
Ditto re: "killer interview skills."

My two cents? The OP should get off TLS and start doing some STRATEGIC NETWORKING, particularly since most law students suck at strategic networking.

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:19 pm

OperaAttorney wrote:
Aqualibrium wrote:
Veyron wrote:
Anonymous Loser wrote:3L here. Many of my classmates have made dramatic improvements in their GPA's since fall semester of 1L year. Unfortunately, no on cares. All of the critical hiring decisions relevant to large law firms are made almost exclusively on the basis of 1L grades. This means that the OP has a very limited opportunity to raise his GPA: even straight A's spring semester will likely not shift his GPA much above median. The OP may well graduate with latin honors after padding his GPA with 2L and 3L seminars, but by that point many employment opportunities will be foreclosed. Moreover, after doing so poorly fall semester, there is little reason to believe that the OP will surpass his classmates, the majority of whom are much better at law school than he is.
Meh, he doesn't need to shift above median. Near median and killer interview skills and a good bid strategy can still win the day at MVP [the bottom 1/3 is going to be permafucked no matter what tho] (now, on my part, I just HOAP and PRAY that I'm not so far below median that even a recovery to around median is out of the cards).
"Killer interview skills" are a rarity. That's why grades and school are such an important part of the equation for most people.
Ditto re: "killer interview skills."

My two cents? The OP should get off TLS and start doing some STRATEGIC NETWORKING, particularly since most law students suck at strategic networking.
DEFINE strategic networking?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”