Formatting Question

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Lawquacious

Formatting Question

Postby Lawquacious » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:15 am

I've noticed that when I send my resume or other docs in Word format by email when I open them by 'view' the formatting gets screwed up. My 'view' opens in Google docs (I use gmail, and the school email service is apparently also gmail/google based. When I 'download' the doc it opens fine as a Word doc).

Will people who 'view' the doc received in the email also see the jumbled version, or only those using a gmail client? I don't want to explicitly tell people to 'download' rather than 'view' with every email (but also def don't want to say nothing and have my resume look like crap). Anyone have solutions to this? Also, I recently got a Mac (which honestly I am REALLY regretting right now), so although I translate each Pages doc into Word format I'm wondering if the Mac could be complicating things (beyond the complication of translating every single freaking doc). I think it's just a Word -> Google Docs issue though.

SamuelLChang

Re: Formatting Question

Postby SamuelLChang » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:21 am

PDF is the best way to go.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:22 am

Save your Word files as .pdf's and then send those instead of the word documents.

Sup Kid

Postby Sup Kid » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:44 am

I agree pdfs are always better, but be rest assured that everyone realizes that when you "view" a document it looks different than if you open it in the program where it was made. No law firm will hold that against you (and most people will just download it anyway -- definitely DON'T write in your email "please download and not view")

Lawquacious

Postby Lawquacious » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:46 am

Re: the PDF suggestion-thanks for the tip! I do save and send some of my docs as PDF already, but didn't think of that as a way of avoiding the Word -> Google issue.

Lawquacious

Postby Lawquacious » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:47 am

Sup Kid wrote:I agree pdfs are always better, but be rest assured that everyone realizes that when you "view" a document it looks different than if you open it in the program where it was made. No law firm will hold that against you (and most people will just download it anyway -- definitely DON'T write in your email "please download and not view")

lol.. yea that prob could come off badly, especially in a mailing to a firm.

Return to “Legal Employment”