Working During Spring Semester of 1L

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Accept Offer or Keep Looking?

Accept Offer
50%
Keep Looking
50%

Total votes: 4

Anonymous User

Working During Spring Semester of 1L

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:28 pm

Hey guys just wanted some advice- got an offer to work at an assemblyman's office but the position starts next week and runs until the end of May. I'm a 1L and my grades weren't the best last semester so I'm not sure what or how many offers I'll get for the summer. Would you recommend I keep applying for something else for the summer and focus on academics or work 12-15 hours per week this semester and not take a chance for another offer?

Big Shrimpin

Re: Working During Spring Semester of 1L

Postby Big Shrimpin » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:04 pm

Where do you go to LS? What do you want to do after graduation? What % in the class are you? If you want substantive advice, then you should provide more context. It's not a black-and-white issue.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:09 pm

Sorry about that. Lower tier school finished around median but I'm not sure what I want to do after graduation though I do have an interest in Constitutional Law & am applying for various judicial internships. Guess the advice I'm looking for is if its even worth it to work even ten hours a week during the semester when I could be studying or doing other academic things. At the same time I'm not sure how many other opportunities are out there for me. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Big Shrimpin

Postby Big Shrimpin » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:28 pm

Hmm. Well if this position is something you're really passionate about, then surely do it. I would start spamming judges to see if you could get an internship for the summer (if you haven't already done so...probably should've done that during your winter break at the latest, but there still might be some spots open somewhere). Those aren't that difficult to get, just send cover letters/resumes/writing samples ad infinitum. It's a great experience for 1L summer, when all you really need is "something" law-related. I absolutely loved interning for a judge 1L summer.

If you're not emotionally invested in the spring semester gig, then you might want to consider spending more time on your grades. Median at a low-tier school is going to put you in a really hard place when it comes to looking for jorbs, especially considering that you've only got 6 semesters of law school.

I understand that you have no idea whether you'll land a summer gig. Grades, however, are really important in the long run. I voted pass on the semester gig. Ferociously search for a summer gig, and study hard this semester. GL!

vamedic03

Postby vamedic03 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hey guys just wanted some advice- got an offer to work at an assemblyman's office but the position starts next week and runs until the end of May. I'm a 1L and my grades weren't the best last semester so I'm not sure what or how many offers I'll get for the summer. Would you recommend I keep applying for something else for the summer and focus on academics or work 12-15 hours per week this semester and not take a chance for another offer?

It depends - if you're interested in politics or in work on the hill, you need to make connections and network. This would probably be a good start. Networking at a lower tier school will probably be more beneficial than trying to raise your grades - Top 30 % versus median will probably not make much of a difference.

Also, an interest in "Constitutional" law is rather vague. What exactly do you mean?

Return to “Legal Employment”