take offer or keep looking?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

take offer or keep looking?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:17 pm

top 6 school, 1L, offer from mid-size low v100 firm in hometown secondary (third tier even?) market, maybe want to grow up to be a US atty or something, right now i'm interested in trade, white collar, and antitrust, but word on the street is that we'd do a lot of real estate work (even though this firm has a diverse practice including the things I do like).

have no grades yet, and have begun to believe they will never come out.

should i take the offer or take my chances with spring OCI, NYU PI career fair, etc.? very reluctant to accept because it's so early in the season and i'm a die-hard optimist (what if i get straight A's! then they'd appoint me summer attorney general at the DOJ! just kidding obviously, but you see why this is a consideration), and i have a history with this firm and would never leave them hanging for greener pastures (or draw out the offer-acceptance process for more than a reasonable time).

plan on going to a firm in hopefully a major market after graduation and maybe lateraling to government (do people do that?), so kind of interested in using my "last" free summer for several years for PI, but don't want to end up working for the Institute for Good Things and World Peace or some bs like that this summer (or, worse, unemployed).

have put in a lot of apps and haven't heard back from anything yet, so fear is becoming a motivator here. just looking for thoughts on the matter, especially from 2Ls with experience in the 1L summer job market.

edit: part of why i'm ambivalent is because i'm not sure if a lot of CCN people, especially those with (god willing) good grades, leave the big cities for the small towns over the summer - i.e., i don't want to look like a nobody at OCI next year compared to my classmates. thoughts?
Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fresh

Re: take offer or keep looking?

Postby Fresh » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:top 6 school, 1L, offer from mid-size low v100 firm in hometown secondary (third tier even?) market, maybe want to grow up to be a US atty or something, right now i'm interested in trade, white collar, and antitrust, but word on the street is that we'd do a lot of real estate work (even though this firm has a diverse practice including the things I do like).

have no grades yet, and have begun to believe they will never come out.

should i take the offer or take my chances with spring OCI, NYU PI career fair, etc.? very reluctant to accept because it's so early in the season and i'm a die-hard optimist (what if i get straight A's! then they'd appoint me summer attorney general at the DOJ! just kidding obviously, but you see why this is a consideration), and i have a history with this firm and would never leave them hanging for greener pastures (or draw out the offer-acceptance process for more than a reasonable time).

plan on going to a firm in hopefully a major market after graduation and maybe lateraling to government (do people do that?), so kind of interested in using my "last" free summer for several years for PI, but don't want to end up working for the Institute for Good Things and World Peace or some bs like that this summer (or, worse, unemployed).

have put in a lot of apps and haven't heard back from anything yet, so fear is becoming a motivator here. just looking for thoughts on the matter, especially from 2Ls with experience in the 1L summer job market.

Would dragging out the acceptance process until after you've gotten grades be unachievable?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:26 pm

Would dragging out the acceptance process until after you've gotten grades be unachievable?

at least for the sake of argument let's say yes for now, but it has been a few days since the offer, still no grades to show for it, and am betting my last grade won't come out for another week or more. so i guess it actually might be...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:29 pm

Even a 4.0+ from a T6 is still not going to make a lot of firms pay any attention to a 1L. I had creds like that and after enomrous amounts of searching only got a firm gig through a connection. You should almost certainly accept the position and put it out of your mind, especially since this isn't just a 'regional firm' - it's a vault ranked regional firm.

Edit to add: from experience, you're smart to think about geography, but you're looking at it a little backward. Big market firms EXPECT people from schools, but especially big city top schools, to flock them. For that reason regional firms often try to snag 1Ls, because they know that they'll loose most shooting matches with giant firms doing lavish OCI / summer programs for 2Ls. Nobody will bat an eyelash if after a summer in Not-NYC/DC/Chi/etc. you decide to look to a more major market as a 2L.

Follow the money. (I assume there's money to follow?)
Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

iagolives

Postby iagolives » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:32 pm

I didn't read past the first few lines, but ITE, take the offer.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:50 pm

Grades, even very good ones, have very little impact on 1L firm hiring.

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:54 pm

Are they paying? If yes ---> Take the offer.

Firm experience, especially v100 firms, is rare for 1L's. Won't matter where it is, it'll def be a plus come OCI.
Last edited by Aqualibrium on Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

iagolives

Postby iagolives » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:57 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdfeW2h8Qo4

I love that commercial! Also, so true in this case and ITE.

pu_golf88

Postby pu_golf88 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:00 pm

tl;dr: yes

Jessep

Postby Jessep » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:41 pm

Take the offer. Do not do public interest this summer. You have no interest in doing it long term, so there's no point in trying it out. If the economy was booming I might say differently, but right now you really need to think about developing your career.

Also, lateraling from a firm to government after a few years is pretty common.

Bronte

Postby Bronte » Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:30 pm

Jessep wrote:Take the offer. Do not do public interest this summer. You have no interest in doing it long term, so there's no point in trying it out. If the economy was booming I might say differently, but right now you really need to think about developing your career.

I agree that he should take the job. 1L firm positions are extremely scarce, and by all likelihood this is all he'll get. But I don't know that the rest of your comment makes sense. First, he does have an interest in doing PI long term; said he wants to grow up to work in government. Second, it's widely believed not to matter much for your future career prospects what you do 1L summer, as long as it's interesting legal work. It's a good chance to try out something that you are curious about. Some even argue that PI will be of more interest to firm recruiters and give you something to talk about in 2L OCI because they already know all about what you would have done if you worked at a firm.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:43 pm

Take it. Your odds of getting something better are small, it will help you out at OCI in the fall, and it won't lock you into anything or hurt your future options.

Jessep

Postby Jessep » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:02 am

Bronte wrote:
Jessep wrote:Take the offer. Do not do public interest this summer. You have no interest in doing it long term, so there's no point in trying it out. If the economy was booming I might say differently, but right now you really need to think about developing your career.

I agree that he should take the job. 1L firm positions are extremely scarce, and by all likelihood this is all he'll get. But I don't know that the rest of your comment makes sense. First, he does have an interest in doing PI long term; said he wants to grow up to work in government. Second, it's widely believed not to matter much for your future career prospects what you do 1L summer, as long as it's interesting legal work. It's a good chance to try out something that you are curious about. Some even argue that PI will be of more interest to firm recruiters and give you something to talk about in 2L OCI because they already know all about what you would have done if you worked at a firm.

PI generally does not mean government jobs related to his interests. I could be wrong but I took it to mean something different than his career aspirations. Although plenty of people do say that 1L job doesn't matter, it is a contact that you may carry with you the rest of your career. Doing a random job just to try it out seems silly to me. Some people disagree with me, but I strongly believe that students should be tailoring their resume to their career aspirations. I keep in touch with people from all of my internships because my internships were tailored to my career aspirations, and I got lucky and get along really well with them on a personal level. If I had done a summer defending parrots rights, I probably wouldn't have kept in touch with my employer and even if I did the contact wouldn't do much for my career.

Return to “Legal Employment”