Congressional Research Service

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
chaosnoodlesoup

Congressional Research Service

Postby chaosnoodlesoup » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:37 pm

I've read their website and the wikipedia article, but I haven't been able to find a first hand account from attorneys experienced with CRS.

What does one do as an attorney for CRS? Are jobs with CRS considered prestigious? Are they hard to get? How are advancement prospects? Etc. etc. I'm not sure if anyone on TLS has ever been with CRS, but if you know anything besides the data on their website, I'd appreciate it if you'd share.

Thanks!

chaosnoodlesoup

Re: Congressional Research Service

Postby chaosnoodlesoup » Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:57 am

hopeful bump.

MoonshineJoe

Postby MoonshineJoe » Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:26 pm

I am working for CRS this summer but, unfortunately, I do not have any answers to your questions about advancement prospects, etc. I _can_ tell you that they work as a think tank for Congress and submit their findings in confidential reports.
Many of these reports have been gathered together by organizations like the Center for Democracy and Technology and can be found on the web. See --LinkRemoved-- or http://www.fas.org/sgp/crs/index.html.

So, in short, they write reports for Congress, I suspect its not particularly prestigious (though more so than ambulance chasing), and I have no idea about advancement prospects. If anyone has anymore information I would love to hear it.

Nicholas Nickleby

Postby Nicholas Nickleby » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:59 pm

MoonshineJoe wrote:I am working for CRS this summer but, unfortunately, I do not have any answers to your questions about advancement prospects, etc. I _can_ tell you that they work as a think tank for Congress and submit their findings in confidential reports.
Many of these reports have been gathered together by organizations like the Center for Democracy and Technology and can be found on the web. See --LinkRemoved-- or http://www.fas.org/sgp/crs/index.html.

So, in short, they write reports for Congress, I suspect its not particularly prestigious (though more so than ambulance chasing), and I have no idea about advancement prospects. If anyone has anymore information I would love to hear it.

Confidential reports? Aren't all CRS reports available to the public?

MoonshineJoe

Postby MoonshineJoe » Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:50 pm

Nicholas Nickleby wrote:
MoonshineJoe wrote:I am working for CRS this summer but, unfortunately, I do not have any answers to your questions about advancement prospects, etc. I _can_ tell you that they work as a think tank for Congress and submit their findings in confidential reports.

Confidential reports? Aren't all CRS reports available to the public?

They aren't classified, but the reports are not made directly available to the public. Supposedly you can get your hands on reports by requesting a copy from your congressmen, though that would require knowing which report to request. The reports are not too hard to get a hold of if you know where to look, but they aren't written for public consumption.

FWIW, Wikipedia suggests that there have been a few attempts by Congress to mandate that the reports be made publicly available. All of these attempts have failed.

Return to “Legal Employment”