Some "curve" help

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Some "curve" help

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:59 am

Hi. Lurker for a long time, but now curious about grades, since we don't get much help from career services to let us know where we stand after first term.

I'm at Stanford, and have 3 "Honors" grades (top 30%) out of 4 classes, including one book prize (top 4 students out of 60). I'm not expecting an "H" in my final grade later this week. Does anyone know where 3 Hs puts a person after 1st term? What about 4 Hs?

I'm really not sure how grades function here, since the curve is a non-random distribution. If any posters could give me some help, I'd greatly appreciate it!

Anonymous User

Re: Some "curve" help

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:25 pm

I'm in the same position at Stanford. 3H (including 1 book award), 1P, and still waiting for my last grade which I'm pretty sure will be a P. I feel like this should probably be at least top third since randomly distributed grades would give everyone an average of about 1.5 H's (including LRW), but I'm really not sure. I only know 3 people's grades, and they were 1H, 1H, and 0H. It'd be nice to have a better idea where we stood, but at the end of the day, we're prob all gonna do fine at OCI.

quakeroats

Postby quakeroats » Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm at Stanford, and have 3 "Honors" grades (top 30%) out of 4 classes, including one book prize (top 4 students out of 60). Does anyone know where 3 Hs puts a person after 1st term?

Just below median at Yale.

Drake014

Postby Drake014 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:32 pm

quakeroats wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'm at Stanford, and have 3 "Honors" grades (top 30%) out of 4 classes, including one book prize (top 4 students out of 60). Does anyone know where 3 Hs puts a person after 1st term?

Having a grade for 3 out of 4 classes that designates you're in the top 30% of each class still results in you being below the 50% mark overall? That's barely even mathematically possible.

Edit: Actually, I take it back, that's not mathematically possible given their stats.

quakeroats

Postby quakeroats » Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:17 pm

Drake014 wrote:
quakeroats wrote:

Having a grade for 3 out of 4 classes that designates you're in the top 30% of each class still results in you being below the 50% mark overall? That's barely even mathematically possible.

Edit: Actually, I take it back, that's not mathematically possible given their stats.

I think you missed the point.

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:08 pm

Drake014 wrote:
quakeroats wrote:

clearly not Yale material.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:10 pm

This isn't what the Legal Employment forum is for.

Return to “Legal Employment”