How to best leverage grades

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

How to best leverage grades

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:52 am

I'm a 1L at a T2... Just got my ranking and I'm #4 (top 2%). My main goal for summer employment was to do something out of my comfort zone to explore options...but now I'm not sure if I should do something different to leverage grades.

I've applied to a few firms, but most only do a diversity SA for 1Ls. The rest is all PI/government...I know it's not too late to apply to more firms, but should I be grinding hard?....I just don't want to kill whatever small shot I have at big law or something elite by taking a shitty (from a future employer's perspective) job.

Any advice/perspective would be appreciated.

A'nold

Re: How to best leverage grades

Postby A'nold » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:58 am

Anonymous User wrote:I'm a 1L at a T2... Just got my ranking and I'm #4 (top 2%). My main goal for summer employment was to do something out of my comfort zone to explore options...but now I'm not sure if I should do something different to leverage grades.

I've applied to a few firms, but most only do a diversity SA for 1Ls. The rest is all PI/government...I know it's not too late to apply to more firms, but should I be grinding hard?....I just don't want to kill whatever small shot I have at big law or something elite by taking a shitty (from a future employer's perspective) job.

Any advice/perspective would be appreciated.

I was in a similar situation and mass mailing did not work for me. However, I got a job (paying pretty good money, as a matter of fact) by emailing an attorney that looked at a family member's case months before. I was involved in an organization at school in the same field as the attorney and I was 100% sincere in my interest. Basically you might get lucky, haha.

I've heard that it really doesn't matter what you do 1L year as long as it is legal.

Return to “Legal Employment”