Law School Scam?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
adieu
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:53 pm

Law School Scam?

Postby adieu » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:29 pm

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/09/business/09law.html

Have you guys had a look at this? It makes me really nervous, and I'm only applying to tier one schools. Share your thoughts please!

User avatar
Adjudicator
Posts: 1108
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:18 am

Re: Law School Scam?

Postby Adjudicator » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:31 pm

OMG. This has to be a joke by now.

User avatar
NoleinNY
Posts: 1031
Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:58 pm

Re: Law School Scam?

Postby NoleinNY » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:37 pm

More like a meme.

User avatar
dcwumpus
Posts: 169
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:40 pm

Re: Law School Scam?

Postby dcwumpus » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:40 pm

Has anyone seen the NYT article about how bad job prospects are for law school grads? If you do, could you share the link?

Sorry if this has already been posted on here, I couldn't figure out the search function on this site.

Renzo
Posts: 4265
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:23 am

Re: Law School Scam?

Postby Renzo » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:47 pm

ITT: the NYT reports what people have been saying on this board for a year+, and someone becomes the 100th person to tell this board about this breaking news.

User avatar
Kohinoor
Posts: 2756
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:51 pm

Re: Law School Scam?

Postby Kohinoor » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:01 pm

Renzo wrote:ITT: the NYT reports what people have been saying on this board for a year+, and someone becomes the 100th person to tell this board about this breaking news.

I swear that when I started here we hated JDU for delivering this very message.

Renzo
Posts: 4265
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:23 am

Re: Law School Scam?

Postby Renzo » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:42 am

Kohinoor wrote:
Renzo wrote:ITT: the NYT reports what people have been saying on this board for a year+, and someone becomes the 100th person to tell this board about this breaking news.

I swear that when I started here we hated JDU for delivering this very message.

It's true. But then, people just were able to say, "noooo, not me--I'm at a top school." Now it's clear we've really all been scammed into playing a losing lottery even if there are a disproportionate number of winners here.

User avatar
A'nold
Posts: 3622
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:07 pm

Re: Law School Scam?

Postby A'nold » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:01 am

Wait.....what?! Please post any and all articles dealing with the economy and job prospects for law students. I'm starting to think that the school's adcoms and brochures weren't telling me the entire truth.... :shock:

User avatar
thuggishruggishbone
Posts: 87
Joined: Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:53 pm

Re: Law School Scam?

Postby thuggishruggishbone » Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:01 pm


User avatar
SteelReserve
Posts: 299
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:46 pm

Re: Law School Scam?

Postby SteelReserve » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:01 am

I swear that when I started here we hated JDU for delivering this very message.


I know we are all tired of hearing about the NY Times article, but your comment here, as well as Renzo's, is completely credited.

I rarely post anymore but I've been a member of this board for several years and during my 1L year the common wisdom was that JDU was merely a handful of trolls using sock puppets to try and mitigate their pitiful life situations through criticism of law school; and also that they only had themselves to blame for their circumstances.

Now I can truly say JDU may have only been a handful of people, but they represented a HUGE slice of the law student factory, perhaps even the majority as far as ITE goes.

Problematically, just as TLSers in years past discounted JDUers as trolls or "dumbs" who attended "TTTTTT" schools for 150k, we see the exact same blame-the-other-guy mentality with this NY Times Article.

Specifically, much of the commentary on this board and others and even conversation with friends, has focused on how absolutely absurd this Wallerstein guy is for taking 250k and acting like a brat studying in France and claiming "prestige among his friends" is the value of his degree.

So as interesting and meaningful as the article was, it was completely undermined because now, just as people fingered JDUers as morons and losers, every prospective law student in reading this article assumes "well, I'm not an idiot like this Wallerstein character, so surely law school will pay off for me!!!!"


/end rant, apologize for the rant, I'm not working tomorrow and I had a couple glasses of wine.

User avatar
npe
Posts: 138
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:39 pm

Re: Law School Scam?

Postby npe » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:06 am

I don't know why they don't find more sympathetic people to interview. This dumbass:

(1) almost used his student lo'ans to put a down payment on a house
(2) "hopes" he doesn't "end up in BigLaw
(3) publicly claims that he isn't very good at keeping records, yet is still optimistic about getting hired as a lawyer

Meanwhile, hardworking median students at top schools with little debt are having a hell of a time finding work. Their lives suck right now too, and it's not nearly as much their own doing as it is this ass-clown's.

Voyager
Posts: 638
Joined: Sun May 06, 2007 2:52 pm

Re: Law School Scam?

Postby Voyager » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:24 pm

Renzo wrote:
Kohinoor wrote:
Renzo wrote:ITT: the NYT reports what people have been saying on this board for a year+, and someone becomes the 100th person to tell this board about this breaking news.

I swear that when I started here we hated JDU for delivering this very message.

It's true. But then, people just were able to say, "noooo, not me--I'm at a top school." Now it's clear we've really all been scammed into playing a losing lottery even if there are a disproportionate number of winners here.


Something you and I can agree on.

By the way, all of the "winners" I know (and I know quite a few) are absolutely fucking despondent over their jobs. So even if you "win" the big salary, you end up rather miserable.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273254
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Law School Scam?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:45 am

I can't help but feel that this will sort itself out. Once banks realize that students from TTT schools cannot pay back their loans, the banks will stop funding them. Fewer students will attend these schools and some lower ranked schools will go out of business.

In the meantime, unfortunately, students are getting scammed. But the banks are also getting scammed. Misery loves company.

User avatar
reasonable_man
Posts: 2200
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:41 pm

Re: Law School Scam?

Postby reasonable_man » Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:54 am

The article would have been better if they took the time to find graduates of Top 30 and 40 law schools that are starving and came off as less entitled than the plankton the NYT interviewed for this article.

User avatar
sojasoph
Posts: 108
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:14 am

Re: Law School Scam?

Postby sojasoph » Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:12 am

reasonable_man wrote:The article would have been better if they took the time to find graduates of Top 30 and 40 law schools that are starving and came off as less entitled than the plankton the NYT interviewed for this article.


plankton are cool
Image

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: Law School Scam?

Postby Grizz » Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:33 am

I feel like this thread will add new and exciting opinions that the other over 9000 didn't.

User avatar
sojasoph
Posts: 108
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:14 am

Re: Law School Scam?

Postby sojasoph » Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:36 am

rad law wrote:I feel like this thread will add new and exciting opinions that the other over 9000 didn't.

I dont see how everything wasnt covered already in the other 9000 posts.

BlueDiamond
Posts: 953
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:56 pm

Re: Law School Scam?

Postby BlueDiamond » Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:16 am

sojasoph wrote:
rad law wrote:I feel like this thread will add new and exciting opinions that the other over 9000 didn't.

I dont see how everything wasnt covered already in the other 9000 posts.


/enter sarcasm

User avatar
dailygrind
Posts: 19658
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:08 am

Re: Law School Scam?

Postby dailygrind » Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:19 pm

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=143622&hilit=nytimes&start=450

judging by the low number of replies over the week of its existence, i'm guessing that this isn't particularly revelatory here.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.