Getting Fired from a job - affect OCI Prospects?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Cupidity

Re: Getting Fired from a job - affect OCI Prospects?

Postby Cupidity » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:22 pm

Your resume need not list every job you have. Skip it. I'd rather have some fluffy BS than a job I was fired from. If they ask "what were you doing for this gap" tell them about the job but say you didn't think it was important enough to put on the resume

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:23 pm

Cupidity wrote:Your resume need not list every job you have. Skip it. I'd rather have some fluffy BS than a job I was fired from. If they ask "what were you doing for this gap" tell them about the job but say you didn't think it was important enough to put on the resume

Really? It was a decent job, and it took a year. Cant really skip it as it ties into everything else on my resume. if they asked, it would seem weird, I think. Did get fired though.

BUt as long as they dont really ask about prior jobs, I'm good to go. I can BS the rest of my resume pretty well.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:01 pm

I am also in a similar situation as OP, although I am concerned primarily with 1L summer jobs. A lot of states attorney's offices and government offices that I want to apply to have applications, and one of the questions is usually "Have you ever been fired?" I was fired two years ago from a serving job at a country club while I was in college for drinking on the job.

Obviously, I plan to disclose whenever asked, and keep it off my resume and not talk about it if I don't have to. Is this an auto-ding? Or will it be NBD?

Return to “Legal Employment”