What Kind of Firms Can I Access with these Grades from Corne

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273568
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

What Kind of Firms Can I Access with these Grades from Corne

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:40 pm

Got a B+ in K's, LRW, and Conlaw.
A in Torts
A+ in Civil Procedure

1L at Cornell, believe I will have a 1L SA.
Additionally, a close family friend is a judge on the 6th Circuit COA and has indicated I will be able to clerk for her after graduation. I am not sure how I could use this to my advantage though until I am formally accepted for clerkship.

I would love to work at Covington DC. I know I still have 2nd Semester to go, but assuming I do similarly, how realistic would this be? What other firms would be good options for litigation in DC?

A&O
Posts: 347
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:08 am

Re: What Kind of Firms Can I Access with these Grades from Corne

Postby A&O » Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:53 pm

Kind of difficult to assume you'll get another A+ next semester, but assuming you maintain a GPA above 3.8, your grades won't hold you back from any firm that interviews at Cornell.

Edit: Though from my information, there might be a sample size problem. I have Covington at 3.83 in 2007 at Cornell, but they gave only one callback that year...
Last edited by A&O on Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273568
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: What Kind of Firms Can I Access with these Grades from Corne

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Got a B+ in K's, LRW, and Conlaw.
A in Torts
A+ in Civil Procedure

1L at Cornell, believe I will have a 1L SA.
Additionally, a close family friend is a judge on the 6th Circuit COA and has indicated I will be able to clerk for her after graduation. I am not sure how I could use this to my advantage though until I am formally accepted for clerkship.

I would love to work at Covington DC. I know I still have 2nd Semester to go, but assuming I do similarly, how realistic would this be? What other firms would be good options for litigation in DC?


What's the curve, where does this put you at?

A&O
Posts: 347
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:08 am

Re: What Kind of Firms Can I Access with these Grades from Corne

Postby A&O » Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:55 pm

A&O wrote:Kind of difficult to assume you'll get another A+ next semester, but assuming you maintain a GPA above 3.8, your grades won't hold you back from any firm that interviews at Cornell.

Edit: Though from my information, there might be a sample size problem. I have Covington at 3.83 in 2007 at Cornell, but they gave only one callback that year...


Honestly, if you keep your GPA like that, I'd just transfer to HYS, maybe even CCN. Those schools will give you a substantially better chance. The fact that Covington gave 1 callback in 2007 at Cornell is a little discouraging...

User avatar
let/them/eat/cake
Posts: 595
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:20 pm

Re: What Kind of Firms Can I Access with these Grades from Corne

Postby let/them/eat/cake » Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:42 pm

Covington is going to be tough from Cornell no matter what. That being said, hope springs eternal and, as someone mentioned, transferring is always an option. If you are a URM that may change the calculus (I mention this only bc you seemed pretty certain of a 1L SA gig, which jobs are almost nonexistent regardless of grades unless obtained through an URM focused program). In any case, congratulations, and enjoy that CALI award.

A&O
Posts: 347
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:08 am

Re: What Kind of Firms Can I Access with these Grades from Corne

Postby A&O » Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:58 pm

Actually, I didn't realize that he earned 3 B+s. Assuming they are weighted equally, his GPA is a 3.64. Not even close for Covington (at least in 2007).

Assuming a 3.64, OP is out of the running at Cleary DC, S&C, CSM, Cleary NY, WilmerHale, Debevoise, Paul Weiss, Simpson Thacher, GDC, K&E DC, Goodwin Proctor DC, Latham & Watkins, K&E NY, and Dechert DC.

Surprisingly, A&P DC still looks promising, though that sample is just for 4 callbacks given in 2007. 4 callbacks.

User avatar
KMaine
Posts: 862
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:57 pm

Re: What Kind of Firms Can I Access with these Grades from Corne

Postby KMaine » Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:07 pm

It will also be interesting to see what the new curve does to the calculus (and if professors will curve to 3.55 or stay closer to 3.35). I am not quite convinced that transferring really helps your chances at elite firms, but I am not basing that on anything, just putting it out there. In any case, congrats on the A+. On the bright side, assuming a somewhat decent spring, you have a good chance at being employed.

User avatar
let/them/eat/cake
Posts: 595
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:20 pm

Re: What Kind of Firms Can I Access with these Grades from Corne

Postby let/them/eat/cake » Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:51 pm

KMaine wrote:It will also be interesting to see what the new curve does to the calculus (and if professors will curve to 3.55 or stay closer to 3.35). I am not quite convinced that transferring really helps your chances at elite firms, but I am not basing that on anything, just putting it out there. In any case, congrats on the A+. On the bright side, assuming a somewhat decent spring, you have a good chance at being employed.


I'm just posting to say I'd be hesitant to call it a "new curve". One teacher said they'd try to 'grade up' to it, another said it was only meant to create a floor so that grades on the lower end don't go through the basement floor. My point being, the practical effects of what u r referring to are definitely not certain, and the one thing we know for sure is that the curve is still 'officially' 3.35. The .2 difference to which u refer is just some amorphous, nonofficial 'cushion', and I wouldn't bank on it. Law folk, esp professors, are burkean in mentality and will probably continue to grade as they have in the past.

A&O
Posts: 347
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:08 am

Re: What Kind of Firms Can I Access with these Grades from Corne

Postby A&O » Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:56 pm

Curve change or not, firms will know about it and adjust accordingly, unfortunately. I can't fathom the benefit of these new distributions, other than it's more pleasant to the eyes when looking at a transcript full of B+s than a transcript full of B-s. I guess it helps students applying to firms that aren't as "on top" of the grading system as the big guys are.

User avatar
Other25BeforeYou
Posts: 503
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 1:19 pm

Re: What Kind of Firms Can I Access with these Grades from Corne

Postby Other25BeforeYou » Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:02 pm

let/them/eat/cake wrote:
KMaine wrote:It will also be interesting to see what the new curve does to the calculus (and if professors will curve to 3.55 or stay closer to 3.35). I am not quite convinced that transferring really helps your chances at elite firms, but I am not basing that on anything, just putting it out there. In any case, congrats on the A+. On the bright side, assuming a somewhat decent spring, you have a good chance at being employed.


I'm just posting to say I'd be hesitant to call it a "new curve". One teacher said they'd try to 'grade up' to it, another said it was only meant to create a floor so that grades on the lower end don't go through the basement floor. My point being, the practical effects of what u r referring to are definitely not certain, and the one thing we know for sure is that the curve is still 'officially' 3.35. The .2 difference to which u refer is just some amorphous, nonofficial 'cushion', and I wouldn't bank on it. Law folk, esp professors, are burkean in mentality and will probably continue to grade as they have in the past.

And I think the ceiling is 3.5, not 3.55. But it does have the chance of inflating the top 10% mark, meaning OP's GPA (which, if I'm adding correctly, would be a 3.68, traditionally in the top 10% after two semester, but not before then I think?) might be below the top 10% mark or further below, which employers know.

Bad ass civ pro performance, and kick ass grades overall. Congrats!
Last edited by Other25BeforeYou on Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273568
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: What Kind of Firms Can I Access with these Grades from Corne

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:03 pm

GPA's a 3.685. The past two years this would put me dead on top 10%.

Not a minority; I just happened to get lucky with an SA.

A&O
Posts: 347
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:08 am

Re: What Kind of Firms Can I Access with these Grades from Corne

Postby A&O » Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:GPA's a 3.685. The past two years this would put me dead on top 10%.

Not a minority; I just happened to get lucky with an SA.



Well, at least we know your personality won't be a problem.

Try for Covington. It's worth a shot. If you want a much better shot, I'd transfer, but only really if you have the grades for HYS. Otherwise, stay put.

I'd use DC as the reach market and NYC as the safety. If you make LR, you can of course throw more bids at DC.

CyLaw
Posts: 1557
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:59 pm

Re: What Kind of Firms Can I Access with these Grades from Corne

Postby CyLaw » Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:03 am

Congrats to OP. Excellent work. Keep that up next semester and OCI should be little trouble. Have you used the NALP directory to determine firms that interview at Cornell that have DC offices?

I'm glad to see my classmates doing what they need to do for BigLaw. Means more government and PI jobs for me. :)




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.