Any statisticians out there?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Any statisticians out there?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:32 pm

I am going to be sending out my final 1L summer apps over the next few weeks. In order to decide for which jobs I am most competitive (i.e. where to invest my time and effort), I would like to figure out where I stand relative to the rest of my class.

However, I go to Berkeley, which does not release rankings, and I am wondering if some of you may be able to help me figure out (roughly) where I stand.

Boalt requires four classes the first semester, three of which are graded (LRW is Credit/No Credit). Grades are assigned on the following scale: HH = top 10%, H= 11-30%, and P = the bottom 60%

I have so far received an HH in torts and a P in property. I am assuming I got either an H or a P in Civ Pro. Can anyone help me figure out where I will stand in either of the two cases?

Edit for more info: We are awarded 5 points per class unit for an HH, 3 points per class unit of an H, and 2 points per class unit for a P

Torts is a 5 unit course, as is Civ Pro. Property is 4 units.

I am honestly not sure if there is enough info to give me answer. Sorry for wasting anyone's time if there is not. Thanks for reading.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

UnitarySpace

Re: Any statisticians out there?

Postby UnitarySpace » Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:41 pm

You can't make any reliable estimates without more information.

InLikeFlint

Postby InLikeFlint » Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I am going to be sending out my final 1L summer apps over the next few weeks. In order to decide for which jobs I am most competitive (i.e. where to invest my time and effort), I would like to figure out where I stand relative to the rest of my class.

However, I go to Berkeley, which does not release rankings, and I am wondering if some of you may be able to help me figure out (roughly) where I stand.

Boalt requires four classes the first semester, three of which are graded (LRW is Credit/No Credit). Grades are assigned on the following scale: HH = top 10%, H= 11-30%, and P = the bottom 60%

I have so far received an HH in torts and a P in property. I am assuming I got either an H or a P in Civ Pro. Can anyone help me figure out where I will stand in either of the two cases?

I have a limited knowledge of statistics, but wouldn't you need to know how well a student's grade in one class correlated to their other classes to figure this out?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:42 pm

You can't make any reliable estimates without more information.

Thought this might be the case. What other information would be necessary?

A&O

Postby A&O » Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:47 pm

In retrospect, probably a good idea that you didn't forward that sole HH to the firm when you received it, right?

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:51 pm

Does Berkeley publish GPA distributions from prior classes (for first semester)? That might help you figure out how the distribution of grades looks across students.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:51 pm

In retrospect, probably a good idea that you didn't forward that sole HH to the firm when you received it, right?

Probably.

Maybe someday you will realize, in retrospect, that it is not a good idea to condescendingly out people who are earnestly seeking advice. But I guess you were just so proud of yourself for putting two anon posts together that you couldn't resist publicly self-fellating. That's cool.

ggocat

Postby ggocat » Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Probably.

Maybe someday you will realize, in retrospect, that it is not a good idea to condescendingly out people who are earnestly seeking advice. But I guess you were just so proud of yourself for putting two anon posts together that you couldn't resist publicly self-fellating. That's cool.

Maybe you shouldn't use the anon feature unless you are revealing sensitive information about a firm, job, clerkship, etc.

All of these threads in the legal employment board made solely so people can talk about grades anonymously are getting annoying.
Last edited by ggocat on Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:03 pm

Maybe you shouldn't use the anon feature unless you are revealing sensitive information about a firm, job, clerkship, etc.

Grades not sensitive information? I have classmates on here that know my username. Seems reasonable to me - and also to TLS*

I. The anonymous post feature is meant to be used in a limited sense for when someone is disclosing information that might actually be sensitive in some manner. This can include information about grades, where a person has interviewed/received job offers, and other information that might identify them if their username was known.

A&O

Postby A&O » Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Probably.

u mad?

Return to “Legal Employment”