All B-'s on a B+ curve

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
A&O

Re: All B-'s on a B+ curve

Postby A&O » Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:18 pm

He got B minuses.

...at a school where even the bottom of the bottom biglaw firms traditionally take maybe the top 10% of the class, though probably less.

Since it's mathematically impossible for the OP to get into that range, I'm not sure where your advice is coming from.

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:23 pm

IzziesGal wrote:I still disagree with everyone here. I see everyone's point, but I don't think advising someone to quit law school altogether over one bad semester is good advice. There are firms at the bottom of the Vault rankings that would probably look at OP if his next semester is good, if he has stellar work experience, extra-curriculars, etc. It's definitely true that someone who's median or below at a top 10 school is in a better situation (I take this for granted), but his situation is not hopeless. He didn't earn all Cs, Ds, and Fs, people. He got B minuses.

A B- on a B+ curve is roughly the equivalent of getting a C. The only people lower in the class than OP are the ones who did in fact get some combination of C's and B-'s. I understand your advice not to drop out, but the idea that OP can get a Vault job is just way off. It is HIGHLY unlikely that there is even one firm in the v100 who is going to touch a candidate who is median at a t40. Add to that the fact that OP has to get top 5-10% to even get to median, and it makes the fact that you're even bringing Vault level firms into the discussion just seem ridiculous.

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:29 pm

OP if you went to law school for biglaw, your run has ended. If any other aspect of legal work appeals to you, stick it out for another semester and see if you can get those grades up.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:13 pm

Kohinoor wrote:OP if you went to law school for biglaw, your run has ended.

100% credited. I know many 2Ls with better grades at a T5 and they have no offers.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:41 am

OP here, and to answer some questions I saw... the median is actually a 3.2, not quite the B+, I'm interested in a midlaw job doing some possible criminal defense, and so far only 2 of my grades are B-'s... I was just throwing out a worst possible scenario to see some responses. Sorry if I was trolling a bit, but I was just gauging where I was at based on my first two grades. I appreciate the feedback and look forward to some more

savagecheater

Postby savagecheater » Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:37 am

IzziesGal wrote:Um, I think you guys are all being a bit too dramatic about OP's situation. If he can improve his grades next semester (meaning knock it out of the ballpark), he will still likely be okay. Having worked closely with big law recruiters, a shaky first semester of 1L year is not the kiss of death people on here make it out to be. In the words of several V20 recruiters, firms understand a not-so-stellar Fall 1L semester. Just kill it in the spring. By no means should you "runnnn" and drop out of law school. Jesus.

What part of below median at a T40 didn't you get?

If they got straight B-s semester 1, how good are their chances they will crush semester 2 and pull straight A's to BRING THEMSELVES UP TO MEDIAN?

Even more to the point, would you bet $25,000 on their doing so?

wiseowl

Postby wiseowl » Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:06 am

A 2.67 at a mid-T1 and someone is telling him he's got a shot at a V100 down the road?

I've seen some sunshine on this site before, but sweet Jesus.

OP, decide before the check clears (if it hasn't already) if you really want to give up any semblance of a life this semester (I mean 12-18 hour days) and at the end of that if you would be happy hanging a shingle, working as a public defender, etc. If the answer is yes, good luck and hit the books. If not, I do not see the wisdom of dropping further and further into a hole.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:09 am

Desert Fox wrote:
IzziesGal wrote:Um, I think you guys are all being a bit too dramatic about OP's situation. If he can improve his grades next semester (meaning knock it out of the ballpark), he will still likely be okay. Having worked closely with big law recruiters, a shaky first semester of 1L year is not the kiss of death people on here make it out to be. In the words of several V20 recruiters, firms understand a not-so-stellar Fall 1L semester. Just kill it in the spring. By no means should you "runnnn" and drop out of law school. Jesus.

V20 firms won't touch anyone below median at anything but T6 schools.

This is optimistic, V100 is tough to swing below median. V20s aren't going below median much anywhere but HYS.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:30 pm

IzziesGal wrote:I still disagree with everyone here. I see everyone's point, but I don't think advising someone to quit law school altogether over one bad semester is good advice. There are firms at the bottom of the Vault rankings that would probably look at OP if his next semester is good, if he has stellar work experience, extra-curriculars, etc. It's definitely true that someone who's median or below at a top 10 school is in a better situation (I take this for granted), but his situation is not hopeless. He didn't earn all Cs, Ds, and Fs, people. He got B minuses.

Again, this OP wouldn't even really have a shot at biglaw if he/she got all A+s next semester and was a little above median after one semester. OP is at a T40.

Does that mean drop out? I dunno. I won't drop out just because there is no shot at biglaw, but there are lots of variables at play. If OP is looking at a lot of debt and is uncomfortable with being a lawyer for very low pay, then OP should get out now before they incur more debt. If OP is okay with being in a lot of debt or has a full ride, and is fine with working a really low paying job to start out (which is almost a guarantee at this point) and just REALLY wants to be a lawyer, then they should stick with it. It is a very personal call.

Again, I won't advocate dropping out without knowing more about the OP's situation. But your insistence that there are Vault firms who would look at OP after this semester is just laughably out of touch with reality.

Return to “Legal Employment”