Does height matter for success in BigLaw?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
JazzOne

Re: Does height matter for success in BigLaw?

Postby JazzOne » Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:22 am

IAFG wrote:6'3"+ or enjoy DLA Piper

lol

If one could only be so lucky.

Chris_cpb

Postby Chris_cpb » Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:22 am

Anonymous User wrote:so I've always compensated for it by phenomenal work ethic.

I would have picked up on this a lot faster if I was sober :oops:

I know you're messing around bud.

Apparantly no one else sees it. A nice little run you had here.
Last edited by Chris_cpb on Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:25 am, edited 3 times in total.

Lawquacious

Postby Lawquacious » Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:22 am

Anonymous User wrote:OP here. Guys, this is a legitimate concern. My grades are all A's and my LSAT was in the top 99.99%. I always have a perceived lack of stature compared to others of above average height so I've always compensated for it by phenomenal work ethic. It seems those who are taller always work less but can assume leadership position. Those who are shorter but more hard-working can only be secondary.

I would do some research about short world leaders and see what you find out.. IDK actually what the result will be, but I'm sure there have been some pretty dominant people in history who have been short in stature.. I'm not being saracstic.. maybe that will lift your spirits. Also, if you have the numbers you report, you are intensely intelligent and that may well overcome a lot of the usual social barriers in career elevation IMO..

other than Kim Jong Il lol
Last edited by Lawquacious on Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

OGR3

Postby OGR3 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:23 am

Lawquacious wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:OP here. Guys, this is a legitimate concern. My grades are all A's and my LSAT was in the top 99.99%. I always have a perceived lack of stature compared to others of above average height so I've always compensated for it by phenomenal work ethic. It seems those who are taller always work less but can assume leadership position. Those who are shorter but more hard-working can only be secondary.

I would do some research about short world leaders and see what you find out.. IDK actually what the result will be, but I'm sure there have been some pretty dominant people in history who have been short in stature.. I'm not being saracstic.. maybe that will lift your spirits. Also, if you have the numbers you report, you are intensely intelligent and that may well overcome a lot of the usual social barriers in career elevation IMO..

--ImageRemoved--

FTW!

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:25 am

Lawquacious wrote:

lol

Pol Pot and Kim Jong Il

Edit: Damn, I got scooped.

sundance95

Postby sundance95 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:25 am

OGR3 wrote:kimjongil.jpg

haha beat me to it

Lawquacious

Postby Lawquacious » Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:26 am

Chris_cpb wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:so I've always compensated for it by phenomenal work ethic.

Apparantly no one else sees it. Quite impressive.

Yeah.. I think your prob right.. that sounds trollish.. dang I fall for these easily..

Lawquacious

Postby Lawquacious » Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:26 am

JazzOne wrote:
Lawquacious wrote:

lol

Pol Pot and Kim Jong Il

Edit: Damn, I got scooped.

LMAO..

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:27 am

Anonymous User wrote:It seems those who are taller always work less but can assume leadership position. Those who are shorter but more hard-working can only be secondary.

Same with good-looking people, people from powerful families, etc. etc. etc. Life isn't fair, get over it.

Lawquacious

Postby Lawquacious » Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:30 am

man this thread is killing me now.. just about in tears laughing.. should have done some research before giving a pep talk (to a likely troll no less).. :lol:

Chris_cpb

Postby Chris_cpb » Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:33 am

Lawquacious wrote:
Chris_cpb wrote:

Apparantly no one else sees it. Quite impressive.

Yeah.. I think your prob right.. that sounds trollish.. dang I fall for these easily..

I feel kind of pathetic. Whenever I swoop in to give some advice I end up being the idiot.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:40 am

I'm 6 foot 6 inches tall

worldtraveler

Postby worldtraveler » Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:45 am

Dear God I hope it's an asset.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:45 am

OP here. I was being honest. I'm not trolling.

Lawquacious

Postby Lawquacious » Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:50 am

Anonymous User wrote:OP here. I was being honest. I'm not trolling.

Well my advice stands if you're not a troll and my apologies if any offense taken (and BTW, I'm sure there are some good as well as bad examples lol). Unfortunately the trolls on here can make it hard to tell who is for real...

bigben

Postby bigben » Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:24 am

"studies have shown that short people are paid less than taller people, with disparities similar in magnitude to the race and gender gaps."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Height_discrimination

re-applicant

Postby re-applicant » Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:30 am

bigben wrote:"studies have shown that short people are paid less than taller people, with disparities similar in magnitude to the race and gender gaps."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Height_discrimination

Yes. But those are based on averages, and I can guarantee you that the short people who buck the trend aren't worrying about this kind of thing. It can only cripple your confidence.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:36 am

Lawquacious wrote:

Well my advice stands if you're not a troll and my apologies if any offense taken (and BTW, I'm sure there are some good as well as bad examples lol). Unfortunately the trolls on here can make it hard to tell who is for real...

I just hope that height doesn't really matter and that people won't judge my abilities based on my appearance.

Chris_cpb

Postby Chris_cpb » Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:37 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Lawquacious wrote:

I just hope that height doesn't really matter and that people won't judge my abilities based on my appearance.

They will.

Postby 005618502 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:43 am

This is funny because when i meet someone who is 6'3''+ i auto think that they are uncoordinated (unless pro athlete). This plus most that are that tall are "scrawny" which could also be looked down upon just like being short, or ugly.

5'11''-6'1'' and 190-215 lbs = perfect build in most cases. I dont know how this affects job prospects though.

Good thread :p

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:45 am

JazzOne wrote:

I imagined an immigrant Asian voice as I was reading this post.

JazzOne wrote:I am the skinniest person ever to be admitted to UT Law (5'7", 130 lbs. sopping wet). Care to help me come up with an exercise regimen to pack on a few pounds? It's seriously embarrassing that my girlfriend can pick me up pretty easily.

Why would someone who posted something like the latter, also post something like the former?

Chris_cpb

Postby Chris_cpb » Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:02 am

Anonymous User wrote:
JazzOne wrote:

JazzOne wrote:I am the skinniest person ever to be admitted to UT Law (5'7", 130 lbs. sopping wet). Care to help me come up with an exercise regimen to pack on a few pounds? It's seriously embarrassing that my girlfriend can pick me up pretty easily.

Why would someone who posted something like the latter, also post something like the former?

Are you asking why a person would have an opinion about someone who they share a characteristic with? Why would they not do so?

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
JazzOne wrote:

Well, because it was true, asshole. As I was reading the post, I imagined an Asian voice. It wasn't even the height thing that made me think that; it was the comment about 99.99 LSAT percentile. I am not very sensitive about my height, and apparently at least three hiring partners were willing to look past it. At least I'm willing to take credit for my own jokes. Everyone who posts here from my school knows who I am IRL. I'm not some pussy who hides his identity with anonymous posts.

Hey mods, how about outing this asshole for abusing the anoymous feature?

rundoxierun

Postby rundoxierun » Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:40 pm

Whenever I hear someone give an answer that starts with "I read in a study.." I just LOL.

smittytron3k

Postby smittytron3k » Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:45 pm

AssumptionRequired wrote:This is funny because when i meet someone who is 6'3''+ i auto think that they are uncoordinated (unless pro athlete). This plus most that are that tall are "scrawny" which could also be looked down upon just like being short, or ugly.

5'11''-6'1'' and 190-215 lbs = perfect build in most cases. I dont know how this affects job prospects though.

Good thread :p

so being 6'7", 205 lbs is probably not the way to go, huh...

Return to “Legal Employment”