All B+

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
let/them/eat/cake

Re: All B+

Postby let/them/eat/cake » Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:55 pm

A&O wrote:
bk1 wrote:
A&O wrote:I don't really know about that. In my experience, most who performed poorly continued performing poorly. Those who did decently upped their game, and generally did better.

You realize, in a zero sum system, this doesn't make sense?

Yeah, someone else has to lose out. I get it. But I also know a substantial sum who had excellent grades who got decent-to-poor grades. Consistently good performance in law school is a hard thing.

and consistently mediocre performance is easy, and likely.

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:07 pm

I've always said the following about law school grades:

There are usually 3-5 people in a section that will compete for A's/Book Awards EVERY SINGLE TIME. Those people have a rare combination of genius, clarity with regards to how to take a law school exam, and a phenomenal work ethic.

Then there are those of us who may get an A here and there, but we are generally more at the whim of the curve. These people hover just above the median with regards to individual grades, but occasionally break through and grab an A, or slip up and get a grade at or below median. These people really only make up 20-30% of a section.

Then there is everyone else. These people are the majority of the section. It is very unlikely that they'll ever get an A range grade in their law school career. Median grades are the norm for some; they're simply average. The rest may get a median grade here or there, but they're generally below the curve. They'll work extra hard after fall semester, review their exam, etc... but it's very unlikely to pay off.

That's why it's a good thing to get a couple A range grades and a couple below median grades that average you out to a median cumulative gpa. You get to decide which group you're in, and you have at least some indication that you can perform.

(These are just my observations from my own law school experiences, and from watching and talking to my classmates and upperclassmen)

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:10 pm

patrickd139 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:B+ is your median? Wow.

This.

T14 students are probably more likely to drop out when grades dip below a certain level. I am going to drop out if I got any C's last semester.

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:56 pm

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:42 pm

Might be different at Cornell, but at my MVP, I did much worse than this and had multiple V100 offers. I know a few other people with similar results.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Might be different at Cornell, but at my MVP, I did much worse than this and had multiple V100 offers. I know a few other people with similar results.

This was definitely the case with a number of Cornell 2Ls with median and slightly below median grades this past fall. And then there were top-20%ers with no offers at all. It's really not all about grades when it comes to jobs.

danidancer

Postby danidancer » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Might be different at Cornell, but at my MVP, I did much worse than this and had multiple V100 offers. I know a few other people with similar results.

This was definitely the case with a number of Cornell 2Ls with median and slightly below median grades this past fall. And then there were top-20%ers with no offers at all. It's really not all about grades when it comes to jobs.

This.

let/them/eat/cake

Postby let/them/eat/cake » Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:42 am

danidancer wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

This.

I'll +1 w the caveat that I wouldn't want to bank on the personality/interview win. OCI was the most mentally harrowing experience of my life and I think im pretty mentally strong. I can't imagine it w added stress. If u put urself in a good position grade wise (ie around top half and much preferably above) your personality will carry the day in the end if you relax and let it shine through every now and then. That can be difficult to do when u are constantly thinking that if you fuck up you life is ooooover. ( also when you have 14 stitches in your head from football during your callbacks. Talk about using a story to your advantage.) my point being: if I can do it you can, and it can't be any worse than last year which was at least as good as '11, so good fucking luck.

Also, so u mean at your MVP people with all b+s got jobs, or the people at straight median did bc if it's the former we don't know what ur median or other cutoff is...

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:11 am

let/them/eat/cake wrote:
danidancer wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

This.

Also, so u mean at your MVP people with all b+s got jobs, or the people at straight median did bc if it's the former we don't know what ur median or other cutoff is...
Neither do the firms. I think that they assume, as we do, that B+ is median.

Return to “Legal Employment”