Secondary Market Firm or Hold Out for cool PI?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Secondary Market Firm or Hold Out for cool PI?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:19 pm

So, here's the situation. I worked for a firm in a secondary market after graduating college, and they indicated interest in having me back for my 1L summer. I don't have a firm offer or anything, but my career office indicated things could move quickly once I contact them. Thing is, I'm not positive I want to be back in my home market this summer, let alone 2L or post-grad summer. Plus, 1L summer may be the only time to get in a judicial or PI internship that matches my real interests (yes, I'd love to do PI post-grad, but let's be realistic). So, should I bite the bullet and email the firm (which I loved working at, found everyone very nice, but just don't want to spend a summer at home), or hold out and see if I can't get something that would be really interesting to me, in the market where I want to go post-grad?

Also, just in case, I'm in the top half of the T14, but have no grades yet. Expecting to do well on one exam, poorly on another, and moderate-mediocre on my third. Money is not a problem for the summer if I do PI.

Mostly looking for a "here's what I would do" sort of response, but perspectives from 2/3Ls who went through similar situations or who know what the PI internship market is like would be amazing.

Aqualibrium

Re: Secondary Market Firm or Hold Out for cool PI?

Postby Aqualibrium » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:41 pm

What type of firm is it? If it's a reasonably sized firm with any sort of regional prestige, the best thing for your resume is to try to get the job.

If you do get it, it'll be something that takes you farther than any 1L judicial internship and most PI placements you'll find. The market it's in honestly doesn't matter. Having legit firm work on your resume, regardless of the market, will set you apart from most of the applicant pool come OCI. On top of that, it preserves your home market as a reasonable fallback if OCI doesn't go so well for you.

I know right now you think you want PI so the OCI talk may seem unnecessary, but IMO it's unwise to completely throw away a potential option. You never know what might change, or what your success will be with regards to finding PI work that you like. Additionally, the firm gig will take you farther with firms AND with PI orgs IMO (With firms you'll have something to talk about, can say you have some understanding of the environment and appreciate it. With PI orgs, you have experience using the things you've learned in law school to talk about, and, if it's true (or even if it's false), you can tell them with some level of confidence why the firm environment isn't for you).

Also, you can split the summer...do both!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:05 pm

Depends on what kind of firm we are talking about. If its something like Foley in Milwaukee, Dorsey in Minneapolis, Jones Day in Cleveland, or King & Spalding in Atlanta - you should absolutely take it.

If its a plaintiff's firm in your home market, I would wait.

spondee

Postby spondee » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:12 pm

Skip the firm. If you have an interest in PI, spend your summer in PI.

1L summer is the best time to explore that. If you decide you want to pursue PI, you need a resume that shows that interest across time. And if you decide you want to work in the private sector for a firm, well, 2L OCI firms barely care how you spend your 1L summer - as long as you come away with a legal "issue" you can talk about.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:33 pm

Just an update: the firm rounds out the bottom of the V100 rankings. Like I said, great place to work, but may find it unbearable having to live at home especially if I have a lot of friends from school working in cool places like NYC and DC over the summer. As for career interests, I'd like to either clerk or work for a firm for a few years after school, but ultimately end up in government work, although DOJ honors or something would be cool if I could swing it straight out.

Return to “Legal Employment”