Traveling for Interviews

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Traveling for Interviews

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:27 pm

I am a 1L and sent out some judicial internship applications. Got a call back from a state supreme court justice asking about an interview (in my home state and the state where I wish to return after law school). Problem is, I just went back up to school and won't be home until spring break (a 5 hour trip away). How did you guys (2L's and 3L's) handle situations like this? Is it really advisable to miss class and spend all that time traveling for a 1L summer internship interview?

Unitas

Re: Traveling for Interviews

Postby Unitas » Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I am a 1L and sent out some judicial internship applications. Got a call back from a state supreme court justice asking about an interview (in my home state and the state where I wish to return after law school). Problem is, I just went back up to school and won't be home until spring break (a 5 hour trip away). How did you guys (2L's and 3L's) handle situations like this? Is it really advisable to miss class and spend all that time traveling for a 1L summer internship interview?

Ask for a phone interview? Explain your ties to the area and say travel time would be very hard on you since you have returned to school.

Anonymous User

Re: Traveling for Interviews

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:42 pm

Unitas wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I am a 1L and sent out some judicial internship applications. Got a call back from a state supreme court justice asking about an interview (in my home state and the state where I wish to return after law school). Problem is, I just went back up to school and won't be home until spring break (a 5 hour trip away). How did you guys (2L's and 3L's) handle situations like this? Is it really advisable to miss class and spend all that time traveling for a 1L summer internship interview?

Ask for a phone interview? Explain your ties to the area and say travel time would be very hard on you since you have returned to school.

Thats essentially all I can do I guess. I would even be willing to come home on a weekend, but I doubt any judge will want to meet on a Saturday. This is probably my fault. I was keen on getting the federal apps in on December 1st. For the state judges, I got home and did nothing for a few days, and waited until just after Christmas to put the apps together and send them out. Waiting those few extra days seemingly screwed my chance of getting a face-to-face interview.

Return to “Legal Employment”