1L with Federal Clerkship, Looking for Advice/Input

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

1L with Federal Clerkship, Looking for Advice/Input

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:22 am

I go to a Top 6 School (MVP) and have taken two 6-week federal clerkships (not magistrate) in Philadelphia (my hometown) with the Eastern District of PA. I took the first two internships offered and had about 20 interviews pending in NYC/Philadelphia/Chicago over break that I immediately cancelled.

I recognize that I'm set for the summer, but does having 2 half-summer federal clerkships look in any way bad to BigLaw employers during 2L OCI? A lot of my classmates are now starting to interview with BigLaw firms and getting offers from COA judges, so I'm getting a little buyer's regret.

FYI: Long term, I'm interested in going into M+A for a large firm or in-house for a bank.

Any advice from anyone older and wiser than a 1L?

Anonymous User

Re: 1L with Federal Clerkship, Looking for Advice/Input

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:32 am

Ib4 shitstorm @ obvious flame. (Clerkship v internship/extern, and t6==mvp)

LurkerNoMore

Postby LurkerNoMore » Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:35 am

Newer attorneys and law students get quite in a tizzy about protecting the use of clerkship. In today's vernacular what you have is either an internship or externship (seems to be some regional variation in the use of these two).

You have a legal job for the summer. Your job in the fall is to sell the your work experience. The only disadvantage you are at over some of your classmates is that you won't be getting paid. The COA/District Court distinction isn't important. Do the best work you can. Pay attention to what you are learning. Think about how those skills can be applied to a firm job. Sell it in the fall.

Unitas

Postby Unitas » Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:44 am

LurkerNoMore wrote:Newer attorneys and law students get quite in a tizzy about protecting the use of clerkship. In today's vernacular what you have is either an internship or externship (seems to be some regional variation in the use of these two).
You have a legal job for the summer. Your job in the fall is to sell the your work experience. The only disadvantage you are at over some of your classmates is that you won't be getting paid. The COA/District Court distinction isn't important. Do the best work you can. Pay attention to what you are learning. Think about how those skills can be applied to a firm job. Sell it in the fall.

Internship and externship are used to mean the same thing oddly, at first I thought externship was used when getting class credit for the work, but it appears I was wrong based on how people use it. The words just mean the same thing at my school.

If you mean to say clerkship and internship for judges are the same, here are some differences: A clerkship is a job and an internship is an internship. A clerk works directly for the judge and an intern generally works directly for the judge's long-term clerk. Clerkships are paid and internships are not (usually). Some judges hire clerks almost always from interns, some judges have blanket rules against hiring interns as clerks. The poisitions are hugely different. A lot of law students use them incorrectly interchangeably.

LurkerNoMore

Postby LurkerNoMore » Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:08 am

Unitas wrote:
Internship and externship are used to mean the same thing oddly, at first I thought externship was used when getting class credit for the work, but it appears I was wrong based on how people use it. The words just mean the same thing at my school.

This is school specific.

Unitas wrote:If you mean to say clerkship and internship for judges are the same, here are some differences: A clerkship is a job and an internship is an internship. A clerk works directly for the judge and an intern generally works directly for the judge's long-term clerk. Clerkships are paid and internships are not (usually). Some judges hire clerks almost always from interns, some judges have blanket rules against hiring interns as clerks. The poisitions are hugely different. A lot of law students use them incorrectly interchangeably.

No I didn't mean to say that. A clerkship is a paid position after you have completed law school and an internship/externship occurs during school -- the substantive work differences will vary from chambers to chambers. However, the vitriol over the distinction is rather new. Older attorneys often use the word clerkship to cover everything. That's all I was getting at. OP should be sure to call it either an internship or externship, depending on what is used at their school.

ggocat

Postby ggocat » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:43 am

Anonymous User wrote:Any advice from anyone older and wiser than a 1L?

Stop worrying about the prestige of your job compared to your peers. Learn this lesson early, and you will be much happier in life.

You've already accepted an internship. You're not going to back out, so don't worry about it.

MrKappus

Postby MrKappus » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:47 am

Anonymous User wrote:I recognize that I'm set for the summer, but does having 2 half-summer federal clerkships look in any way bad to BigLaw employers during 2L OCI? A lot of my classmates are now starting to interview with BigLaw firms and getting offers from COA judges, so I'm getting a little buyer's regret.

You're going to be at a pretty significant disadvantage when OCI rolls around. Just try to enjoy the summer and glean whatever minimal experience you can out of the jobs. Best of luck, but at this point, things aren't looking too good for you.

JordynAsh

Postby JordynAsh » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:55 am

Just be happy you have an offer of any kind of employment!

As others have pointed out, MVP =/= T6.

- Bitterly gradeless 1L

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:17 pm

The lack of constructive feedback on this forum is staggering. I just wanted to know if this route that I've chosen is considered less than stellar compared to some of my classmates.

MrKappus

Postby MrKappus » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I just wanted to know if this route that I've chosen is considered less than stellar compared to some of my classmates.

Very, very much so.

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:The lack of constructive feedback on this forum is staggering. I just wanted to know if this route that I've chosen is considered less than stellar compared to some of my classmates.

Yes. From a (wiser and older) 2L.

ggocat

Postby ggocat » Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:The lack of constructive feedback on this forum is staggering. I just wanted to know if this route that I've chosen is considered less than stellar compared to some of my classmates.

Phrased like that, of course it is.

I repeat solely for your benefit the advice I gave above: stop worrying about the prestige of your job compared to your peers.

/s/ an older and wiser law clerk.

of Benito Cereno

Postby of Benito Cereno » Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I go to a Top 6 School (MVP) and have taken two 6-week federal clerkships (not magistrate) in Philadelphia (my hometown) with the Eastern District of PA. I took the first two internships offered and had about 20 interviews pending in NYC/Philadelphia/Chicago over break that I immediately cancelled.

I recognize that I'm set for the summer, but does having 2 half-summer federal clerkships look in any way bad to BigLaw employers during 2L OCI? A lot of my classmates are now starting to interview with BigLaw firms and getting offers from COA judges, so I'm getting a little buyer's regret.

FYI: Long term, I'm interested in going into M+A for a large firm or in-house for a bank.

Any advice from anyone older and wiser than a 1L?

your 1l mvp classmates are not interviewing with biglaw firms....

concurrent fork

Postby concurrent fork » Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:04 pm

MrKappus wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I recognize that I'm set for the summer, but does having 2 half-summer federal clerkships look in any way bad to BigLaw employers during 2L OCI? A lot of my classmates are now starting to interview with BigLaw firms and getting offers from COA judges, so I'm getting a little buyer's regret.

You're going to be at a pretty significant disadvantage when OCI rolls around. Just try to enjoy the summer and glean whatever minimal experience you can out of the jobs. Best of luck, but at this point, things aren't looking too good for you.

+1
Most of your classmates will score 1L SAs at V10 firms.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:16 pm

what? you dont go to a top six school. your 1L classmates have a lot of big law interviews and COA internships? In a major market? i highly doubt this, there are only a handful of firms that hire 1L's, and most wont interview you until you have grades in unless you have a connection or something.

darkarmour

Postby darkarmour » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:34 pm

*still surprised TLS is so easily trolled by OP*

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:38 pm

darkarmour wrote:*still surprised TLS is so easily trolled by OP*

Post-count fodder, friend. You'll catch on eventually.

dood

Postby dood » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:44 pm

patrickd139 wrote:
darkarmour wrote:*still surprised TLS is so easily trolled by OP*

Post-count fodder, friend. You'll catch on eventually.

lol 180

dood

Postby dood » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:45 pm

ggocat wrote:

Phrased like that, of course it is.

I repeat solely for your benefit the advice I gave above: stop worrying about the prestige of your job compared to your peers.

/s/ an older and wiser law clerk.

everything above is true.

/s/ an older and wiser 2L who interned with a CoA judge 1L summer.

Return to “Legal Employment”