Should I drop out? Bottom of one of MVP Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Should I drop out? Bottom of one of MVP

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:44 am

Relax and wait until you see all of your grades before you make any decisions. As a 1L last year, I finished dead last in one of my classes. However, the rest of my grades were okay, and I talked with all of my professors about my exam performance. I did better during my second semester, and I was able to line up a SA spot at a V100 this summer.

Oh, and I am currently a 2L at MVP.

underdawg

Silver

Post by underdawg » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:11 am

megaTTTron wrote:
underdawg wrote:i dunno, if "going over your exams" means an extra $20k+ in the hole (one semester's tuition). if you can't get a semester's money back, then sure, might as well find out what you did wrong
The point is to see how far off you were. What were your other grades. Sometimes the curve effs you. One C+ shouldn't make you drop out.
you should really read my entire post where i reveal that i did not read entire OP
Last edited by underdawg on Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:10 am

Definitely wait to see how you do in the rest of the courses. One B- isn't going to ruin you. I got one in each semester (CCN) and still managed multiple SA offers ranging V40-V100. Your other grades can definitely help offset it.

3ThrowAway99

Gold

Post by 3ThrowAway99 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:21 am

No, unless you are entirely set on BigLaw or otherwise are realizing that you really never wanted law in the first place. Just my opinion.

3ThrowAway99

Gold

Post by 3ThrowAway99 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:23 am

Anonymous User wrote:Definitely wait to see how you do in the rest of the courses. One B- isn't going to ruin you. I got one in each semester (CCN) and still managed multiple SA offers ranging V40-V100. Your other grades can definitely help offset it.
This too- first semester prob isn't enough to decisively kill your chances at BigLaw anyway unless you repeat the same grades (that's if BigLaw is your whole purpose for going to law school; otherwise I think what I suggested earlier also applies).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

nigelfrost

Bronze

Post by nigelfrost » Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:06 pm

Hey...2nd semester, 2L here. Not that that means anything, but it will at least give context.

The big question I have for you, OP, is whether you're being honest with yourself. If you really are being truthful about "always wanting to be an attorney," then I think you need to consider a few things.

First off, what are your other options? If you don't mind my asking, what did you get your undergrad in? That could have some effect on whether or not to drop. Having an engineering degree versus (what I had) an English degree could be a releveant factor on the dropping decision. The market doesn't just suck for lawyers right now; it sucks for nearly every industry. But some fields may (emphasis on may) be having a better time of it.

Second, wait until you get your other grades in to make a decision. Even if you (as you acknowledge) will be bottom of the class no matter what those other grades are, it will give some closure to the situation before you decide to bail.

Third, consider what this means for the future. If you've "always wanted to be a lawyer" there are other avenues open to you besides Big Law. I realize that the debt is massive; I'm paying sticker at a T20 and it's a killer. But there are debt forgiveness programs, repayment options, and (if it comes down to it) just the plain and simple option of paying it off slowly over the next 30 years. Yeah, it sucks. But if it means you get to do what you've "always wanted to" for the rest of your life, then think of it as a trade off: you've sacrificed financial freedom to wake up every morning and be happy to go to work. That's at least as good as the fuckers that go to law school "for the money," get paid astronomical amounts at Big Law, but hate themselves every day of their lives.

Additionally, remember that there are other factors at play in getting the "good job" post-graduation. I do not have stellar 1L grades. But I made some great contacts with a few attorneys at a firm that I really wanted to work for. I ended up with an unpaid internship my first summer and will be coming back this summer for a summer associate position, working with comrades who are graduating from T10 schools. Don't let the grade thing be your ONLY factor; yes, it's a big part of the employment process, but it's not the ONLY part.

Bottom line: do some serious soul searching. Don't let one letter on your transcript become something that defines you and the rest of your life. If you've got a goal, figure out a way to get there.

Now, it's an entirely different story, though, if you never really wanted to "always be a lawyer" and just "did this for the paycheck." If THAT was your reasoning...then I say drop out now. No question.

Good luck!

JPrezy87

Bronze

Post by JPrezy87 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I got a grade and it was the lowest possible. Meaning: I am going to be the bottom fourth of my class.

I am thinking about dropping out. I have always wanted to be a lawyer, but if I can't find a job then what is the point?

I worked hard this semester: I outlined for all my classes, I read for every single class, I attended every class, and I took practice tests a few weeks before exams. I have no idea what my mistake are.

Oh, and I am paying sticker.
wtf? drop out? you're gonna drop out as a 3L...that hundred thousand dollar debt you took on gonna go to waste now?? and so what you got mediocre grades...suck it up...move on...and make the best of it :).

justadude55

Silver

Post by justadude55 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:12 pm

Does the bottom 1/2 at MVP really have poor employment options? I'd imagine you're competing against a tough pool at these schools to begin with. Dummies don't really get in.

JPrezy87

Bronze

Post by JPrezy87 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:16 pm

MrAnon wrote:drop out. If you have a C or a D that is the death star for law school transcripts. You are paying way to much money to go on to a career in law that won't pay the bills. Find something you are better at than law school exam taking.
oh come on! seriously....you're saying the guys blacklisted in the legal world now??

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

JPrezy87

Bronze

Post by JPrezy87 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:....

yea if you're freaking out over something like this then maybe the law world isn't for you..you gotta learn to deal with adversity and bumps in the road...and learn how to cope when things don't go your way...if you're gonna be losing sleep at night over one C- (or whatever the grade was) I don't even wanna see how you react when you can't find a court document or a client disputes the bill :).

InLikeFlint

Bronze

Post by InLikeFlint » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:46 pm

JPrezy87 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:....

yea if you're freaking out over something like this then maybe the law world isn't for you..you gotta learn to deal with adversity and bumps in the road...and learn how to cope when things don't go your way...if you're gonna be losing sleep at night over one C- (or whatever the grade was) I don't even wanna see how you react when you can't find a court document or a client disputes the bill :).
My god you're a terrible flame.

los blancos

Platinum

Post by los blancos » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:53 pm

OP wants "A job"

Employment rate at graduation at MVPDNC is over 95%. After 6 months, basically 100%.

Those of you telling him to drop out if he's below median are nuts.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:59 pm

Thanks guys for all your support. I am going to wait for my other grades to come in.

My major was liberal arts i.e I have nothing else to fall back on.

Anyways, I did some soul searching and even if I am making 40k, in the end I am still a lawyer plus LRAP will cover my loan payments so I will still be OKAY. Not great, but in a good space.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:00 pm

los blancos wrote:OP wants "A job"

Employment rate at graduation at MVPDNC is over 95%. After 6 months, basically 100%.

thanks for your support!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:01 pm

JPrezy87 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I got a grade and it was the lowest possible. Meaning: I am going to be the bottom fourth of my class.

I am thinking about dropping out. I have always wanted to be a lawyer, but if I can't find a job then what is the point?

I worked hard this semester: I outlined for all my classes, I read for every single class, I attended every class, and I took practice tests a few weeks before exams. I have no idea what my mistake are.

wtf? drop out? you're gonna drop out as a 3L...that hundred thousand dollar debt you took on gonna go to waste now?? and so what you got mediocre grades...suck it up...move on...and make the best of it :).
I am a 1L. First semester. Thanks for your input.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:02 pm

nigelfrost wrote:Hey...2nd semester, 2L here. Not that that means anything, but it will at least give context.

The big question I have for you, OP, is whether you're being honest with yourself. If you really are being truthful about "always wanting to be an attorney," then I think you need to consider a few things.

First off, what are your other options? If you don't mind my asking, what did you get your undergrad in? That could have some effect on whether or not to drop. Having an engineering degree versus (what I had) an English degree could be a releveant factor on the dropping decision. The market doesn't just suck for lawyers right now; it sucks for nearly every industry. But some fields may (emphasis on may) be having a better time of it.

Second, wait until you get your other grades in to make a decision. Even if you (as you acknowledge) will be bottom of the class no matter what those other grades are, it will give some closure to the situation before you decide to bail.

Third, consider what this means for the future. If you've "always wanted to be a lawyer" there are other avenues open to you besides Big Law. I realize that the debt is massive; I'm paying sticker at a T20 and it's a killer. But there are debt forgiveness programs, repayment options, and (if it comes down to it) just the plain and simple option of paying it off slowly over the next 30 years. Yeah, it sucks. But if it means you get to do what you've "always wanted to" for the rest of your life, then think of it as a trade off: you've sacrificed financial freedom to wake up every morning and be happy to go to work. That's at least as good as the fuckers that go to law school "for the money," get paid astronomical amounts at Big Law, but hate themselves every day of their lives.

Additionally, remember that there are other factors at play in getting the "good job" post-graduation. I do not have stellar 1L grades. But I made some great contacts with a few attorneys at a firm that I really wanted to work for. I ended up with an unpaid internship my first summer and will be coming back this summer for a summer associate position, working with comrades who are graduating from T10 schools. Don't let the grade thing be your ONLY factor; yes, it's a big part of the employment process, but it's not the ONLY part.

Bottom line: do some serious soul searching. Don't let one letter on your transcript become something that defines you and the rest of your life. If you've got a goal, figure out a way to get there.

Now, it's an entirely different story, though, if you never really wanted to "always be a lawyer" and just "did this for the paycheck." If THAT was your reasoning...then I say drop out now. No question.

Good luck!
Thanks!

InLikeFlint

Bronze

Post by InLikeFlint » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
JPrezy87 wrote:

I am a 1L. First semester. Thanks for your input.
It's a flame, dude. No need to respond.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

los blancos

Platinum

Post by los blancos » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
los blancos wrote:OP wants "A job"

thanks for your support!
Heh, I think I'm going to be in a similar position to you in a few weeks...

A&O

Bronze

Post by A&O » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:28 pm

Are you seriously going to let "employment rates" from USNews and from time periods that don't reflect current economic decisions placate your concerns?

If so, that's dumb.

(1) There's absolutely no check against inaccuracy and deceptive reporting.
(2) Even if there is, schools have used means to increase employment rates, including instituting their own "fellowship" programs for graduates who are still unemployed by graduation.
(3) I'd wait for the Class of 2011 statistics to come out. That, in my opinion, is when we'll know the true effect of the economic crisis (and the worst effect it could possibly have).

On a brighter note: The "unemployment" rate is down to 9.4 from 9.8. Rejoice (though not really)!

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:37 pm

A&O wrote:Are you seriously going to let "employment rates" from USNews and from time periods that don't reflect current economic decisions placate your concerns?

If so, that's dumb.

(1) There's absolutely no check against inaccuracy and deceptive reporting.
(2) Even if there is, schools have used means to increase employment rates, including instituting their own "fellowship" programs for graduates who are still unemployed by graduation.
(3) I'd wait for the Class of 2011 statistics to come out. That, in my opinion, is when we'll know the true effect of the economic crisis (and the worst effect it could possibly have).

On a brighter note: The "unemployment" rate is down to 9.4 from 9.8. Rejoice (though not really)!

1) I think it's pretty fair to assume that, while the employment numbers are fudged, if the OP shows real diligence he/she could find A job somewhere.
2) The employment rate is down because 300,000 people stopped looking for jobs, meaning, it isn't really down.

A&O

Bronze

Post by A&O » Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:01 pm

2) The employment rate is down because 300,000 people stopped looking for jobs, meaning, it isn't really down.
Congratulations! Now you understand why I put "unemployment" in quotation marks.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:09 pm

A&O wrote:
Congratulations! Now you understand why I put "unemployment" in quotation marks.

Wait, you are being snarky when you were unclear? Sorry bud, you can't expect people to read your mind and that certainly didn't imply that was what you meant.

A&O

Bronze

Post by A&O » Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:11 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:
A&O wrote:

Wait, you are being snarky when you were unclear? Sorry bud, you can't expect people to read your mind and that certainly didn't imply that was what you meant.
No, I was being snarky since the beginning. If the quotation marks didn't clue you in, perhaps this should have:
Rejoice (though not really)!
Stop blaming others for your illiteracy.

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:20 pm

A&O wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:
A&O wrote:

No, I was being snarky since the beginning. If the quotation marks didn't clue you in, perhaps this should have:
Rejoice (though not really)!
Stop blaming others for your illiteracy.
lol. You were unclear, it wasn't a big deal, stop being such a dick. Now, lets move on.

A&O

Bronze

Post by A&O » Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:24 pm

lol. You were unclear, it wasn't a big deal, stop being such a dick. Now, lets move on.
Ohhh the irony.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”