Should I drop out? Bottom of one of MVP Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
beach_terror

Platinum

Re: Should I drop out? Bottom of one of MVP

Post by beach_terror » Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:28 pm

As much as I dislike interrupting e-fights, I thought he was pretty clear.

JPrezy87

Bronze

Post by JPrezy87 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:40 pm

InLikeFlint wrote:
JPrezy87 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:....

yea if you're freaking out over something like this then maybe the law world isn't for you..you gotta learn to deal with adversity and bumps in the road...and learn how to cope when things don't go your way...if you're gonna be losing sleep at night over one C- (or whatever the grade was) I don't even wanna see how you react when you can't find a court document or a client disputes the bill :).
My god you're a terrible flame.
I'm not a flame sir..im just trying to keep it real :).

JPrezy87

Bronze

Post by JPrezy87 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:34 am

Anonymous User wrote:
JPrezy87 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I got a grade and it was the lowest possible. Meaning: I am going to be the bottom fourth of my class.

I am thinking about dropping out. I have always wanted to be a lawyer, but if I can't find a job then what is the point?

I worked hard this semester: I outlined for all my classes, I read for every single class, I attended every class, and I took practice tests a few weeks before exams. I have no idea what my mistake are.

Oh, and I am paying sticker.
wtf? drop out? you're gonna drop out as a 3L...that hundred thousand dollar debt you took on gonna go to waste now?? and so what you got mediocre grades...suck it up...move on...and make the best of it :).
I am a 1L. First semester. Thanks for your input.
1L...first semester too?! shytt...you got two years to pull those grades up son!

warumnicht

New

Post by warumnicht » Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:37 am

JPrezy87 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
JPrezy87 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I got a grade and it was the lowest possible. Meaning: I am going to be the bottom fourth of my class.

I am thinking about dropping out. I have always wanted to be a lawyer, but if I can't find a job then what is the point?

I worked hard this semester: I outlined for all my classes, I read for every single class, I attended every class, and I took practice tests a few weeks before exams. I have no idea what my mistake are.

Oh, and I am paying sticker.
wtf? drop out? you're gonna drop out as a 3L...that hundred thousand dollar debt you took on gonna go to waste now?? and so what you got mediocre grades...suck it up...move on...and make the best of it :).
I am a 1L. First semester. Thanks for your input.
1L...first semester too?! shytt...you got two years to pull those grades up son! relax!
Two years is not quite accurate, since major hiring milestones will happen with only 1L grades under one's belt -- maybe 3 semesters, if OP is going for public interest or mid/small law. 3L grades only count if you don't have any offers at that point and are starting your search anew.

But even if you don't have two whole years, you definitely have at least one more semester. Totally doable.

JPrezy87

Bronze

Post by JPrezy87 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:40 am

Patriot1208 wrote:
A&O wrote:Are you seriously going to let "employment rates" from USNews and from time periods that don't reflect current economic decisions placate your concerns?

If so, that's dumb.

(1) There's absolutely no check against inaccuracy and deceptive reporting.
(2) Even if there is, schools have used means to increase employment rates, including instituting their own "fellowship" programs for graduates who are still unemployed by graduation.
(3) I'd wait for the Class of 2011 statistics to come out. That, in my opinion, is when we'll know the true effect of the economic crisis (and the worst effect it could possibly have).

On a brighter note: The "unemployment" rate is down to 9.4 from 9.8. Rejoice (though not really)!

1) I think it's pretty fair to assume that, while the employment numbers are fudged, if the OP shows real diligence he/she could find A job somewhere.
2) The employment rate is down because 300,000 people stopped looking for jobs, meaning, it isn't really down.
Hate to butt in....but people giving up on the job search is only PARTIALLY responsible for the unemployment rate going down for December...America added 103'000 jobs last month...things are starting to get better :).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:03 am

JPrezy87 wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:
A&O wrote:Are you seriously going to let "employment rates" from USNews and from time periods that don't reflect current economic decisions placate your concerns?

If so, that's dumb.

(2) Even if there is, schools have used means to increase employment rates, including instituting their own "fellowship" programs for graduates who are still unemployed by graduation.
(3) I'd wait for the Class of 2011 statistics to come out. That, in my opinion, is when we'll know the true effect of the economic crisis (and the worst effect it could possibly have).

On a brighter note: The "unemployment" rate is down to 9.4 from 9.8. Rejoice (though not really)!

1) I think it's pretty fair to assume that, while the employment numbers are fudged, if the OP shows real diligence he/she could find A job somewhere.
2) The employment rate is down because 300,000 people stopped looking for jobs, meaning, it isn't really down.
Hate to butt in....but people giving up on the job search is only PARTIALLY responsible for the unemployment rate going down for December...America added 103'000 jobs last month...things are starting to get better :).
OP here. You are now a BIG FLAME.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:07 am

los blancos wrote:OP wants "A job"

Employment rate at graduation at MVPDNC is over 95%. After 6 months, basically 100%.

Those of you telling him to drop out if he's below median are nuts.
Bridge to Practice PWND

los blancos

Platinum

Post by los blancos » Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:57 am

Desert Fox wrote:

Employment rate at graduation at MVPDNC is over 95%. After 6 months, basically 100%.

Bridge to Practice PWND

I'm future BtP. I think. I hope not. But probably. It'll be very useful.

JPrezy87

Bronze

Post by JPrezy87 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:39 am

Anonymous User wrote:
JPrezy87 wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:

If so, that's dumb.

not being a flame..just a nerd :)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

JPrezy87

Bronze

Post by JPrezy87 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:40 am

Desert Fox wrote:

Bridge to Practice PWND
huh...wadda mean by bridge to practice pwnd?

MrAnon

Gold

Post by MrAnon » Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:43 am

justadude55 wrote:
MrAnon wrote:drop out. If you have a C or a D that is the death star for law school transcripts. You are paying way to much money to go on to a career in law that won't pay the bills. Find something you are better at than law school exam taking.
is this accurate? 1 C or D at a top 10, and you're done?
In terms of biglaw, yes. In terms of other jobs, in this economy, you're going solo.

Aqualibrium

Gold

Post by Aqualibrium » Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:59 am

MrAnon wrote:
justadude55 wrote:
MrAnon wrote:drop out. If you have a C or a D that is the death star for law school transcripts. You are paying way to much money to go on to a career in law that won't pay the bills. Find something you are better at than law school exam taking.
In terms of biglaw, yes. In terms of other jobs, in this economy, you're going solo.
The curve at those schools is so high that getting a C or D means you're doing something REALLY REALLY wrong. A C on a 2.67 curve, fine. A C on a 3.3 or 3.4 curve, terrible.

JPrezy87

Bronze

Post by JPrezy87 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:15 am

MrAnon wrote:
justadude55 wrote:

err...i think that's a little pessimistic...i mean if you're at a top 10 you got an edge in terms of making it into biglaw already...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:31 pm

JPrezy87 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
JPrezy87 wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:

not being a flame..just a nerd :)
lol, not a nerd, just continually wrong in about everything you post.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”