Should I drop out? Bottom of one of MVP

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Should I drop out? Bottom of one of MVP

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:04 pm

I got a grade and it was the lowest possible. Meaning: I am going to be the bottom fourth of my class.

I am thinking about dropping out. I have always wanted to be a lawyer, but if I can't find a job then what is the point?

I worked hard this semester: I outlined for all my classes, I read for every single class, I attended every class, and I took practice tests a few weeks before exams. I have no idea what my mistake are.

Oh, and I am paying sticker.

vamedic03

Re: Should I drop out? Bottom of one of MVP

Postby vamedic03 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I got a grade and it was the lowest possible. Meaning: I am going to be the bottom fourth of my class.

I am thinking about dropping out. I have always wanted to be a lawyer, but if I can't find a job then what is the point?

I worked hard this semester: I outlined for all my classes, I read for every single class, I attended every class, and I took practice tests a few weeks before exams. I have no idea what my mistake are.

Go talk to your professors and go over your exams.

megaTTTron

Postby megaTTTron » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:17 pm

vamedic03 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I got a grade and it was the lowest possible. Meaning: I am going to be the bottom fourth of my class.

+1.

underdawg

Postby underdawg » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:23 pm

i dunno, if "going over your exams" means an extra $20k+ in the hole (one semester's tuition). if you can't get a semester's money back, then sure, might as well find out what you did wrong

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:23 pm

megaTTTron wrote:
vamedic03 wrote:

+1.

HI am going to talk to my professors. But is it worth staying one more semester at MVP and have 60k of debt when I am going to be at the bottom anyway and not be able to get a job? I mean, Digging myself out of this whole and trying to be median is probably going to be impossible even if I hit median next semester.

I don't even want a 160k job. I just want A job. I don't mind even if I am making 40k.

MrAnon

Postby MrAnon » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:26 pm

drop out. If you have a C or a D that is the death star for law school transcripts. You are paying way to much money to go on to a career in law that won't pay the bills. Find something you are better at than law school exam taking.

vamedic03

Postby vamedic03 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
megaTTTron wrote:
vamedic03 wrote:

+1.

HI am going to talk to my professors. But is it worth staying one more semester at MVP and have 60k of debt when I am going to be at the bottom anyway and not be able to get a job? I mean, Digging myself out of this whole and trying to be median is probably going to be impossible even if I hit median next semester.

I don't even want a 160k job. I just want A job. I don't mind even if I am making 40k.

If you just want a job out of law school, then stay. Talk to your professors and work your way towards median. You can find a job, it'll take a lot of hustling, but you can find a job as a lawyer.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:27 pm

Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby 20160810 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:29 pm

You want to drop out of law school because you got a b-?
:shock:

justadude55

Postby justadude55 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:30 pm

MrAnon wrote:drop out. If you have a C or a D that is the death star for law school transcripts. You are paying way to much money to go on to a career in law that won't pay the bills. Find something you are better at than law school exam taking.

is this accurate? 1 C or D at a top 10, and you're done?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:31 pm

SBL wrote:You want to drop out of law school because you got a b-?

even if I get median in all my other classes I will still be bottom fourth at best.

underdawg

Postby underdawg » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:31 pm

if your school has any common decency, they should let you go over your exams before you decide whether to drop out of not (assuming that you can get your money back for the second semester). but of course, they are merely money-making (or buy fancy things for profs) machines.

a lot of people have this stupid "never give up" mentality in their heads. when "never give up" puts you in crushing debt, then often it is indeed time to give up.

forget about a 160k job, it is by any reasonable standard impossible at this point. if you can get median next semester, you might be able to get A job. a fighting chance, probably. networking and such is going to be super important.

dunno dude. but know that it is perfectly fine to give up on certain things. it's also perfectly fine to gamble on being able to get a job, which even if lower-paying, it should be a bit better due to your school's relatively well-funded LRAP.

OH I MISREAD YOUR POST. wait til you get your other fucking grades first, dummy. if you do end up in the bottom 25%, then yeah seriously consider dropping out.

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
SBL wrote:You want to drop out of law school because you got a b-?

even if I get median in all my other classes I will still be bottom fourth at best.

But if you get a single A, or more than one, you might be top half...at UVA you could have B-, A-, A-, A- and be top third.

My worst grade was below median but my overall GPA was top 20%. Some people have wide variance in their first semester of law school grades.

Wait until all your grades are in before you get all dramatic.
Last edited by RVP11 on Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:36 pm

Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A&O

Postby A&O » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:38 pm

The only difference between withdrawing now and withdrawing after you receive all your first semester grades is rashness and impatience.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:38 pm

Don't freak out until you have all of your grades. This is why they should be released all at once.

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:39 pm

Last edited by RVP11 on Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:41 pm

A&O wrote:The only difference between withdrawing now and withdrawing after you receive all your first semester grades is rashness and impatience.

Oh, I am going to wait until I get all of my grades. I am also going to talk to my professors. But based on past performance I am trying to utilize my time over the next three weeks to figure out what the hell I am going to do.

A&O

Postby A&O » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
A&O wrote:The only difference between withdrawing now and withdrawing after you receive all your first semester grades is rashness and impatience.

Oh, I am going to wait until I get all of my grades. I am also going to talk to my professors. But based on past performance I am trying to utilize my time over the next three weeks to figure out what the hell I am going to do.

Good. If your grades are uniformly bad, then that is definitely cause for concern, and it's your decision as to whether you should drop out or try another semester.

Just so you know, one of my friends received the lowest grade in one class and the highest grade in another, and she received a job, though her other grades were quite decent. Point being, a single B- won't kill your job prospects.

darkarmour

Postby darkarmour » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:49 pm

A&O wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Good. If your grades are uniformly bad, then that is definitely cause for concern, and it's your decision as to whether you should drop out or try another semester.

Just so you know, one of my friends received the lowest grade in one class and the highest grade in another, and she received a job, though her other grades were quite decent. Point being, a single B- won't kill your job prospects.

Yeah I second this. I know a dude who got a C+ (discretionary at my T14), ended up with V50 SA. Unusual success, but possible if you pull up dem bootstraps.

Cavalier

Postby Cavalier » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:57 pm

You only have one grade; it is way too early to be considering dropping out. If your grades are all below median, then you may want to consider it, but not if the rest of your grades are fine.

markymark

Postby markymark » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:14 am

You have ONE, I repeat ONE, grade. A close friend got the worst grade in one class in each semester and is headed to a V30 in NYC. This person did not get all A- or As in the other classes either.

Too premature for drop out talk.
Last edited by markymark on Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

thistimereborn

Postby thistimereborn » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:15 am

you need to calm down for a bit until you get all your grades in. During 1L year my first grade was my worst, and my second one I got was my second worst. I started to despair, and then I got two A's.

So don't freak out yet! If you got multiple Cs or whatever the "discretionary" lowest grade is, I'd drop out.

Maybe take a year off and re-apply and re-enroll? I'm not sure how that works and if you can just wipe out your one semester record, but it might be worth looking into.

megaTTTron

Postby megaTTTron » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:18 am

underdawg wrote:i dunno, if "going over your exams" means an extra $20k+ in the hole (one semester's tuition). if you can't get a semester's money back, then sure, might as well find out what you did wrong

The point is to see how far off you were. What were your other grades. Sometimes the curve effs you. One C+ shouldn't make you drop out.

Black-Blue

Postby Black-Blue » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:21 am

WTF is "lowest possible"? Is that a B, C, D, E, F, or G?

Return to “Legal Employment”