Confused Transfer Student

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Confused Transfer Student

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:27 pm

So........I didn't do OCI this fall due to a weird time line. I just figured that my job search would be much harder than others' and never once thought I could get a job through OCI. I just received grades back and I am near the top of my class at a respected regionally strong t30ish school. Did not try to write onto LR.

What should I do? I have never really considered biglaw (or midlaw for that matter) but have quite a large student loan bill as the costs are piling up at my new school. I remember reading posts of transfer students at t14's that were in the top 5% or so that couldn't land these kinds of jobs, so I know it is still unlikely. To be honest, I would love to clerk but I've heard lack of LR is fatal. I mean, could I write onto some kind of secondary journal for my 3L year and maybe qualify for a lower level state clerkship? I will move where the jobs are so location is not a giant concern.

I am very interested in doing criminal law but I've heard that grades aren't a big consideration.......

Are my good grades basically wasted here due to my unique situation? (i.e., can my grades get me a decent position or will I be scrambling just as students that missed the OCI boat will over the next year?). Thanks.

concurrent fork

Re: Confused Transfer Student

Postby concurrent fork » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:39 pm

What were your reasons for transferring if not to participate in OCI?

megaTTTron

Postby megaTTTron » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:41 pm

My 2 cents:

Your grades are not worthless. You need to do two things (1) sustain your grades and (2) get some type of meaningful 2L summer employment. This will put you in a good position to have options during 3L OCI. You should start applying to DA offices, gov't positions, firms (maybe, if any are still hiring), in-house companies.

Also, if you want to clerk, try to get onto a journal. Any journal experience is good. I don't know what the process is like at your school, but you should look into it. This will boost 3L OCI chances, and any employment chances in general.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:49 pm

Thanks Mega. Some firms are still posting on the school's database with like end of January deadlines so I'll definitely send resumes to them as well.

To concurrent fork: I transferred for many reasons. One of the biggest ones is that this school is in the area I grew up and have lived my entire life.

megaTTTron

Postby megaTTTron » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Thanks Mega. Some firms are still posting on the school's database with like end of January deadlines so I'll definitely send resumes to them as well.

To concurrent fork: I transferred for many reasons. One of the biggest ones is that this school is in the area I grew up and have lived my entire life.

Gov't work looks great. Don't let those deadlines slip. Now that I think about it, I get these stupid OCS emails seemingly daily with upcoming gov't deadlines--which is good. Just be on top of it. It's a horrid process, but you need to do something other than like, working for a judge (or some other 1L summer thing). Also, what did you do 1L summer?

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:06 pm

Do a journal, keep rocking awesome grades, try to clerk when you graduate. I understand that clerking can open at least doors for you that may have been closed after OCI. Good luck.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:43 pm

vanwinkle wrote:Do a journal, keep rocking awesome grades, try to clerk when you graduate. I understand that clerking can open at least doors for you that may have been closed after OCI. Good luck.

Thank you vanwinkle.

Has anybody ever heard of a 2L writing onto LR? I remember seeing something about this before but it sounds like it doesn't really happen.

A&O

Postby A&O » Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:Do a journal, keep rocking awesome grades, try to clerk when you graduate. I understand that clerking can open at least doors for you that may have been closed after OCI. Good luck.

Thank you vanwinkle.

Has anybody ever heard of a 2L writing onto LR? I remember seeing something about this before but it sounds like it doesn't really happen.

Publish a note in the journal?

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:06 pm

A&O wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Thank you vanwinkle.

If your school's LR allows it, this is a way on. You can "note-on" at some schools. Try to spend a part of 2L spring writing an academic paper worthy of submission, and pay close attention to the submission deadlines for LR at your school. If they publish your note, then they invite you onto the LR board.

Otherwise, getting published in a secondary journal can still be beneficial to your career ambitions.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:47 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
A&O wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Thank you vanwinkle.

If your school's LR allows it, this is a way on. You can "note-on" at some schools. Try to spend a part of 2L spring writing an academic paper worthy of submission, and pay close attention to the submission deadlines for LR at your school. If they publish your note, then they invite you onto the LR board.

Otherwise, getting published in a secondary journal can still be beneficial to your career ambitions.

Thanks again for your help. :)

Return to “Legal Employment”