Dress Code - Interview over coffee

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
seatown12

Re: Dress Code - Interview over coffee

Postby seatown12 » Thu May 19, 2011 9:58 am

What day of the week is it?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:50 pm

What is the appropriate dress for meeting several partners for a beer? I have had a screener with this firm, and set up a meeting with several partners when I notified the firm I was going to be in the area. Full suit and tie, or ditch the tie and go business casual + suit jacket?

rpupkin

Postby rpupkin » Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What is the appropriate dress for meeting several partners for a beer? I have had a screener with this firm, and set up a meeting with several partners when I notified the firm I was going to be in the area. Full suit and tie, or ditch the tie and go business casual + suit jacket?

Wait . . .you set it up a meeting at a bar with several partners? How did you arrange that? (The answers to these questions are potentially relevant to your dress code question.)

Davidbentley

Postby Davidbentley » Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What is the appropriate dress for meeting several partners for a beer? I have had a screener with this firm, and set up a meeting with several partners when I notified the firm I was going to be in the area. Full suit and tie, or ditch the tie and go business casual + suit jacket?

Latter unless you're in DC.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:12 pm

rpupkin wrote:Wait . . .you set it up a meeting at a bar with several partners? How did you arrange that? (The answers to these questions are potentially relevant to your dress code question.)

I didn't set it up at a bar, I suggested meeting with some attorneys and they decided to meet for a drink.

rpupkin

Postby rpupkin » Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
rpupkin wrote:Wait . . .you set it up a meeting at a bar with several partners? How did you arrange that? (The answers to these questions are potentially relevant to your dress code question.)

I didn't set it up at a bar, I suggested meeting with some attorneys and they decided to meet for a drink.

There are a lot of factors here that could affect the attire choice (region, firm culture, practice area, venue for drinks). Although business casual would be fine 95% of the time for this kind of thing, I'll recommend a suit and tie just in case your circumstances fall in the 5%.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:36 pm

It's a job interview. No one is going to fault you for showing up in a suite and tie.

lolwat

Postby lolwat » Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:41 pm

kalvano wrote:It's a job interview. No one is going to fault you for showing up in a suite and tie.

Showing up in a suite might be bad if the interview is at a bar.

But yep, agree.

h2go

Postby h2go » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:25 pm

lolwat wrote:
kalvano wrote:It's a job interview. No one is going to fault you for showing up in a suite and tie.

But yep, agree.

I'm in NorCal. People would definitely find it weird if you showed up to a bar in a suit. I would strongly recommend against it if that's where you are located.

rpupkin

Postby rpupkin » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:35 pm

h2go wrote:
lolwat wrote:

But yep, agree.

I'm in NorCal. People would definitely find it weird if you showed up to a bar in a suit. I would strongly recommend against it if that's where you are located.

Eh. Even in NorCal it depends a bit on the firm and the practice group. Also, I think some folks are imagining a crowded hip bar. Given the context, it's much more likely that this will take place in fancy hotel bar or something, where a suit and tie would be less conspicuous.

sublime

Postby sublime » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:58 pm

Yea, I'd show up in a suit and tie, and you can always take off the tie.

Better to be one step overdressed than one step underdressed.

Return to “Legal Employment”