Dress Code - Interview over coffee

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Dress Code - Interview over coffee

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:01 pm

Hi,

I've got an interview coming up with a judge. Normally, if it were in his chambers, I would wear a traditional suit / tie combo.

However, he suggested we meet over coffee instead. Does that suggest something more casual might be appropriate? Or should I just err on the side of caution and go in business attire?

Feel free to mock me. This sounds almost too stupid to worry about.

MrAnon

Re: Dress Code - Interview over coffee

Postby MrAnon » Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:34 pm

Yes, smart casual. No sneakers. Jeans are okay. He wants to see that you are a normal functioning human being, not a nerd in a tuxedo.

studebaker07

Postby studebaker07 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:52 pm

Yes dress down, but not too casual.

If you want to play it safe, maybe go with business casual (button down and slacks, maybe a blazer or jacket if its cold). No tie; no suit.

I always think a nice pair of jeans, button down, and blazer are nice for these kinds of meetings too.

After getting so roundly criticized, I feel compelled to redact this. Would definitely want to dress up, a suit would probably be best. I just went with the jeans idea originally because I had an interview last week with a partner from a mid-size firm and wore a suit to that interview. It was also over coffee and the partner made a comment about how she should have told me to dress down. I think here a suit is appropriate given that you are interviewing with a judge. Who knows, the interview may start at the coffee shop and the judge may ask you back to his chambers?

Good luck.
Last edited by studebaker07 on Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jessep

Postby Jessep » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:26 am

Jeans is absolutely absurd. Where the hell is this advice coming from, frat brothers? Go with business casual at the very least unless this is a very close friend. It is an INTERVIEW.

I'd suit up. Maybe I'd go business casual with a blazer. It is an interview with a judge. He's not going to be showing up in jeans. If the interview is during the work week, I'd be shocked if he shows up in anything less than a button down and slacks. Dressing slightly more formally than him is not a problem - jeans will be. No one will think you are a 'nerd' for suiting up for an interview...this is normal.

mr_toad

Postby mr_toad » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:37 am

Last month I wore a suit/tie to an interview over coffee with a practicing lawyer. I was accepted one week later (strong consider on LSP). FWIW. [Edit: apologize, just realized this was in the employment forum... still, suit/tie never hurts :) ]

UCLAtransfer

Postby UCLAtransfer » Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:39 am

Did I misread something? We are talking about an INTERVIEW with a JUDGE, right?

This is a difficult choice between slacks/dress shirt/blazer or a suit, jeans are not even in the running here, regardless of whether is it over coffee.

The judge will be wearing slacks and a button down shirt at the very least, will likely be wearing a tie, and could potentially wear a suit coat.

Jeans? Really?

MrPapagiorgio

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:41 am

First off, no freakin jeans. Next, no sneakers.

I'm thinkin khaki's, a button down and a blue blazer if its cold would do it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:49 am

I had the same dilemma with an interview over coffee in the morning. Lucky for me I had to be dressed for work after the interview (I was currently clerking part time at another firm). Thus I had a legitimate reason to look completely professional while also highlighting my work experience.

So, maybe find something to do later/earlier that day that requires you to suit up. Just a thought.

Otherwise, I'd go business casual. A suit would be too much for meeting over coffee...even if it is a judge.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:53 am

I say suit. You cannot go wrong with a suit. Better to be a little overdressed than underdressed. $5 says the judge shows up in a blazer and tie at least.

Unitas

Postby Unitas » Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:38 am

rad law wrote:I say suit. You cannot go wrong with a suit. Better to be a little overdressed than underdressed. $5 says the judge shows up in a blazer and tie at least.

Wear a suit minus the tie and keep the top button undone. You'll still likely look good, but not too dressed up to be seen as stuffy.

This wasn't supposed to be anonymous, my bad - this is Unitas.

BobSacamano

Postby BobSacamano » Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:46 am

Any chance you could case the place to get a sense of the judge's attire before you show up?

I wish I was joking. I absolutely hate these iffy dress questions, I end up feeling super awkward if I don't match the other person.

LurkerNoMore

Postby LurkerNoMore » Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:12 am

It's an interview. Wear a suit.

There is no reason feel you need to match your interviewer. You are the one asking for a job. Dressing formally is a sign of respect. Now, if you are specifically told what dress code to wear, go with that.

Geist13

Postby Geist13 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:39 pm

there are only a few situations where being overdressed is actually detrimental. None of them involve the word interview.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:46 pm

Geist13 wrote:there are only a few situations where being overdressed is actually detrimental. None of them involve the word interview.

lolschool2011

Postby lolschool2011 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:50 pm

MrAnon wrote:Yes, smart casual. No sneakers. Jeans are okay. He wants to see that you are a normal functioning human being, not a nerd in a tuxedo.

Jeans are not ok. Do not listen to this person. Jeans are "ok" if you're going to a club or rodeo, not meeting a judge over coffee.

Khakis or nice pants with a light sweater.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:54 pm

Geist13 wrote:there are only a few situations where being overdressed is actually detrimental. None of them involve the word interview.

Always wear a suit to an interview. Always. It will never be taken wrongly, it will always send the message you're taking the interview seriously, and you avoid the possible risk that you underdressed and are thus perceived as not serious enough about the job.

Always always always wear a suit unless explicitly told not to.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:58 pm

vanwinkle wrote:Always wear a suit to an interview. Always. It will never be taken wrongly, it will always send the message you're taking the interview seriously, and you avoid the possible risk that you underdressed and are thus perceived as not serious enough about the job.

This. Yeah, you could maybe get away with less, but why even take the chance when wearing a suit is SO EASY?

warumnicht

Postby warumnicht » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:24 pm

Yes, go with a suit, but preferably not a solid black one (which generally makes young men look overdressed). If you have one that's dark gray or navy, wear that.

Chances are, the judge will be wearing slacks and a button-down (I used to work in a court setting, and that was pretty much the uniform for male judges). Unless he is actually wearing a jacket himself and doesn't take it off when you guys sit down for coffee, it's okay if you take yours off as well -- just make sure that your button-down is nice and crisp.

MrAnon

Postby MrAnon » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:30 pm

Be sure to arrive early and sit near a restroom. Watch for the judge to arrive and get out of his car. If he appears to be much more casual than you RUN to the restroom and ditch the jacket. You can pick it up later after the interview.

vamedic03

Postby vamedic03 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hi,

I've got an interview coming up with a judge. Normally, if it were in his chambers, I would wear a traditional suit / tie combo.

However, he suggested we meet over coffee instead. Does that suggest something more casual might be appropriate? Or should I just err on the side of caution and go in business attire?

Feel free to mock me. This sounds almost too stupid to worry about.

I'm going to buck the trend here and say where slacks, sports coat, and no tie. This is getting coffee in a public place, this isn't going to be in chambers. By choosing a coffee shop, the judge has signaled that this is not a formal event. Don't over dress, don't under dress.

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:06 pm

rad law wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:Always wear a suit to an interview. Always. It will never be taken wrongly, it will always send the message you're taking the interview seriously, and you avoid the possible risk that you underdressed and are thus perceived as not serious enough about the job.

This. Yeah, you could maybe get away with less, but why even take the chance when wearing a suit is SO EASY?

+1. Interview = suit. There is no location variable.

irish017

Postby irish017 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:08 pm

heyi

bredpit

Postby bredpit » Thu May 19, 2011 4:07 am

SPAM

flcath

Postby flcath » Thu May 19, 2011 4:17 am

What do you lose by going in a suit?

What could you potentially lose by not going in a suit?

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Thu May 19, 2011 4:32 am

bredpit wrote:Thanks & Regards,
Bred Pit

Nice spam d00d

Return to “Legal Employment”