1L writing sample length

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
thrillerjesus

1L writing sample length

Postby thrillerjesus » Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:19 pm

A number of places specify a writing sample of specific length. I have 2 LRW memos, one is 5 pages, the other 7. If I'm applying to a place that specifies a sample of 2-3 pages, what is it exactly that I should send?

OGR3

Re: 1L writing sample length

Postby OGR3 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:23 pm

thrillerjesus wrote:A number of places specify a writing sample of specific length. I have 2 LRW memos, one is 5 pages, the other 7. If I'm applying to a place that specifies a sample of 2-3 pages, what is it exactly that I should send?

Use one page from each memo, that way they can get a more complete picture of your writing abilities.

Bosque

Postby Bosque » Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:43 pm

Serious response:

If you can cut your WS down to the page limit asked for, do it. If you have to, cut the facts section and leave a note saying you have it if they want it. If you cannot cut it down without making it unreadable, send the shortest you can. In general, a longer, better written WS is better than a shorter, bad one. But realise they probably wont read the whole thing.

LurkerNoMore

Postby LurkerNoMore » Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:24 am

Totally disagree with the above.

They have given you a direction. They want 2-3 pages. Sending in 5 is obviously not 2-3. They don't even need to read it to mentally check off "doesn't pay attention to detail."

It's a writing sample. It doesn't need to be a complete piece. Choose the best section of your best writing (preferably analysis). Bracket a notation as to what you've redacted at the beginning and end of the piece. Keep it within the page limits.

Oh, and if none of your sections can be read independently, its actually not a good writing piece for these purposes. Spend some time making sure it can be. When you write a memo, you want to make sure that you've written something that a partner can pick up, flip to a section heading, skim two pages, and learn something. This is probably why they've put this limit on the sample.

concurrent fork

Postby concurrent fork » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:41 pm

LurkerNoMore wrote:They want 2-3 pages. Sending in 5 is obviously not 2-3.

/thread

Return to “Legal Employment”