USAO Drug Test?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

USAO Drug Test?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:33 pm

Does anyone know if these agencies drug test?

Anonymous User

Re: USAO Drug Test?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:52 pm

USAO-DC didn't do anything more than a background check last year, but note that they do ask on the background check about your drug history. It's best not to lie on those...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:48 pm

nice, the background check is what is a scarin me a litte

ggocat

Postby ggocat » Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:37 pm

Some drug test for internships. Obviously all do for permanent positions.

Moral_Midgetry

Postby Moral_Midgetry » Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:42 pm

For being a summer, I don't think they do. Regular employees they def do but I don't think so for summers. They do a background check to make sure you aren't a terrorist but as long as you'll pass that you should be fine.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:46 pm

If you have been using within the last year, and I assume you have, since you're asking about tests, DO NOT TAKE THE JOB. If you get caught lying about it, you will never, ever, ever work as a lawyer. Ever. Lying to the DOJ in a sworn statement is like the epitome of how not to pass a character and fitness exam. Yes, there is a chance that the background check will miss it; it's not as rigorous a background check as you'd undergo for full-time work. But there is no way that it's worth the risk.

pu_golf88

Postby pu_golf88 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:49 pm

Renzo wrote:If you have been using within the last year, and I assume you have, since you're asking about tests, DO NOT TAKE THE JOB. If you get caught lying about it, you will never, ever, ever work as a lawyer. Ever. Lying to the DOJ in a sworn statement is like the epitome of how not to pass a character and fitness exam. Yes, there is a chance that the background check will miss it; it's not as rigorous a background check as you'd undergo for full-time work. But there is no way that it's worth the risk.

I'm not condoning lying, but wouldn't drug use only show up in a polygraph or if the OP had gotten in trouble for drug use in the past? I doubt they polygraph and hopefully the OP isn't dumb enough to lie if there are documented drug issues.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:17 pm

pu_golf88 wrote:
Renzo wrote:If you have been using within the last year, and I assume you have, since you're asking about tests, DO NOT TAKE THE JOB. If you get caught lying about it, you will never, ever, ever work as a lawyer. Ever. Lying to the DOJ in a sworn statement is like the epitome of how not to pass a character and fitness exam. Yes, there is a chance that the background check will miss it; it's not as rigorous a background check as you'd undergo for full-time work. But there is no way that it's worth the risk.

I'm not condoning lying, but wouldn't drug use only show up in a polygraph or if the OP had gotten in trouble for drug use in the past? I doubt they polygraph and hopefully the OP isn't dumb enough to lie if there are documented drug issues.

It seems, anecdotally, that drug testing sometimes happens for summers and sometimes it doesn't. OP does not want to take that chance. Also, for a full time position, OP certainly could not get away with any of it. And, if OP can't/does not have interest in this line of work, why not pursue something else?

ggocat

Postby ggocat » Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:25 pm

pu_golf88 wrote:

When I interned for a USAO in law school (paid), they did a single scope background investigation. This includes talking to neighbors, friends, and relatives.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:15 am

ggocat wrote:
pu_golf88 wrote:

When I interned for a USAO in law school (paid), they did a single scope background investigation. This includes talking to neighbors, friends, and relatives.

First, this is credited. Second, as I stated up at the top of this post (USAO-DC post), you won't get drug tested but you will have a background investigation done. They WILL ASK if you have taken illegal drugs, and if you lie on the form which you sign to be truthful to the best of your knowledge and get caught, you are not only going to fail C&F after law school, but you will be subject to civil AND criminal penalties. DON'T LIE, it's not worth it for a summer internship.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:21 am

Anonymous User wrote:
ggocat wrote:
pu_golf88 wrote:

First, this is credited. Second, as I stated up at the top of this post (USAO-DC post), you won't get drug tested but you will have a background investigation done. They WILL ASK if you have taken illegal drugs, and if you lie on the form which you sign to be truthful to the best of your knowledge and get caught, you are not only going to fail C&F after law school, but you will be subject to civil AND criminal penalties. DON'T LIE, it's not worth it for a summer internship.

You can't definitively say he won't be tested, because I know people who have been. It may not be commonplace, but, I promise you, some USAO offices do drug test for summers.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:32 am

Patriot1208 wrote:You can't definitively say he won't be tested, because I know people who have been. It may not be commonplace, but, I promise you, some USAO offices do drug test for summers.

Fair enough. The point remains though that if he's done or is doing drugs, he should probably look for another place to work, rather than get caught in a background or drug test.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:33 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:You can't definitively say he won't be tested, because I know people who have been. It may not be commonplace, but, I promise you, some USAO offices do drug test for summers.

Fair enough. The point remains though that if he's done or is doing drugs, he should probably look for another place to work, rather than get caught in a background or drug test.

Agreed.

vamedic03

Postby vamedic03 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:01 am

More important question, if you're actively using drugs, or using them recently enough to worry about testing positive, why do you want to work in a prosecutor's office?

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:24 am

pu_golf88 wrote:

As others have said, they'll talk to friends/family/acquaintances as part of the background investigation. I've been on both ends of these, and when they have contacted my about someone else, they have asked for suggestions about other people who know the candidate well, so you don't have control over who they'll talk to. It's not worth it to lie, risking jail/fine, not to mention permanently being branded unfit to practice law and/or work for the federal gov't just to get an internship.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:22 am

vamedic03 wrote:More important question, if you're actively using drugs, or using them recently enough to worry about testing positive, why do you want to work in a prosecutor's office?

This question comes up on here every couple of months. Some idiot thinks it would be cool to work at the USAO but thinks drug laws are unjust. So, they come ask, is it ok if I just do drugs sometimes or whatever and still work at the USAO. Honestly, it seems like a pretty common sense answer.

nStiver

Postby nStiver » Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:25 pm

Hmm, I used to use drugs but have not for 3+ years. I wonder how this would effect my chances if I just came clean about it on the application. Sorry to hijack the thread, OP.

ScottRiqui

Postby ScottRiqui » Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:36 pm

nStiver wrote:Hmm, I used to use drugs but have not for 3+ years. I wonder how this would effect my chances if I just came clean about it on the application. Sorry to hijack the thread, OP.

Almost everything is forgivable, but not lying.

I have a Top Secret/SCI clearance right now, and in idle conversation with the investigators that have performed my clearances over the years, I've heard all sorts of stories about people with a history of drug use (including drug charges/sentences) that have gone on to hold government jobs, clearances, etcetera.

Of course, there are no guarantees that they'll ignore your history, but they're big boys and girls - they know that some people (yes, even good people) have used illegal drugs.

Your only other options are to limit your interviews to places that will never ask the question, or to lie about it (and God help you if you choose that route and anyone finds out, civilian or government.)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:40 pm

OP Here, i wouldn't call myself an idiot, usao civil is not ALL drug prosecution, I think its fairly stupid to say "you like weed, so you dont want to work for the usao." never did hard stuff, and yea smoking in law school can be used as a stress reliever. So i was wondering if I should just stop, which obviously the answer is yes. im not going to lie, its definitely not worth lying on the form, but maybe theyll understand that im still young and i did it a few times in the last year, especially because ive never gotten in trouble for drug usage or possession

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP Here, i wouldn't call myself an idiot, usao civil is not ALL drug prosecution, I think its fairly stupid to say "you like weed, so you dont want to work for the usao." never did hard stuff, and yea smoking in law school can be used as a stress reliever. So i was wondering if I should just stop, which obviously the answer is yes. im not going to lie, its definitely not worth lying on the form, but maybe theyll understand that im still young and i did it a few times in the last year, especially because ive never gotten in trouble for drug usage or possession

You are right not to lie, but I think within a year is a dealbreaker. It's better to quit now, wait a year, and then pretty much all doors will be open for you. And I, for one, don't think you're an idiot for wanting to work in the USAO civil division, even with your choice of recreation (my beef is with people who want to lie under oath and take the job, not with people who want to smoke weed and take the job). But what you said here rings true--you're young. It's time to realize pot is for kids and pizza delivery guys, not for serious professionals in prestigious government jobs.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP Here, i wouldn't call myself an idiot, usao civil is not ALL drug prosecution, I think its fairly stupid to say "you like weed, so you dont want to work for the usao." never did hard stuff, and yea smoking in law school can be used as a stress reliever. So i was wondering if I should just stop, which obviously the answer is yes. im not going to lie, its definitely not worth lying on the form, but maybe theyll understand that im still young and i did it a few times in the last year, especially because ive never gotten in trouble for drug usage or possession

There is all but zero chance of you admitting to it within the last year and getting the job. Generally, you need to be years removed, and it needs to have been when you were young. I don't know how young you are, but 26-27 is considered to old to still be experimenting with drugs. Believe me, I saw a thirty year old interview for a different part of the DOJ who admitted to smoking up until he was 28. Even though he was two years removed, it was basically said that if you are still smoking at 28, then you obviously don't respect the position you are applying too. Personally, I just don't understand wanting to be the enforcement arm of the country yet wondering if you can continue to participate in the same things of the people you are prosecuting.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:32 am

Patriot1208 wrote:

There is all but zero chance of you admitting to it within the last year and getting the job. Generally, you need to be years removed, and it needs to have been when you were young. I don't know how young you are, but 26-27 is considered to old to still be experimenting with drugs. Believe me, I saw a thirty year old interview for a different part of the DOJ who admitted to smoking up until he was 28. Even though he was two years removed, it was basically said that if you are still smoking at 28, then you obviously don't respect the position you are applying too. Personally, I just don't understand wanting to be the enforcement arm of the country yet wondering if you can continue to participate in the same things of the people you are prosecuting.

nah, im in my early 20's and i think weed should be legalized and taxed like a bitch. so in my view, im not doing anything wrong, but i dont want to get into that. so if i have smoked weed at all in the last year, and admit too it, they won't hire me for a 1l summer internship??? im going to at least try, shits dumb

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:36 am

Anonymous User wrote:nah, im in my early 20's and i think weed should be legalized and taxed like a bitch. so in my view, im not doing anything wrong, but i dont want to get into that. so if i have smoked weed at all in the last year, and admit too it, they won't hire me for a 1l summer internship??? im going to at least try, shits dumb

This is why they have the rule. The federal government doesn't want it's lawyer's doing what they think is right; they want their lawyers "uphold the laws and Constitution of the United States," even when they personally don't like them.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:

nah, im in my early 20's and i think weed should be legalized and taxed like a bitch. so in my view, im not doing anything wrong, but i dont want to get into that. so if i have smoked weed at all in the last year, and admit too it, they won't hire me for a 1l summer internship??? im going to at least try, shits dumb

I'm not going to speak definitevly on the matter for that specific job in that specific office, but, from what i've seen in a vast array of different jobs in different parts of the DOJ, I think you have absolutely no chance. The DOJ just has too many people wanting to work for them to take a perceived risk on someone who has been, recently, breaking federal law. No matter how you feel on the subject, that is the bottomline.

Return to “Legal Employment”