ITT: you evaluate my clerkship chances

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

ITT: you evaluate my clerkship chances

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:12 pm

I am:
- 2L at MVP
- on LR
- estimating that i'm going to be top 15-25% after this past semester.

Just started thinking about clerkships. I have vague ambitions of applying to off-plan judges during spring semester, and will certainly apply to on-plan judges during 3L fall semester.

I would be happy with a district court gig in California, and I know COA9 is a big reach.

Tips, advice?

CanadianWolf

Re: ITT: you evaluate my clerkship chances

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:14 pm

May depend upon your recommendations & how well your interviews go.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:24 pm

OP here. Assume average to above-average interviewing, and good (not stellar) recommendations.

MrKappus

Postby MrKappus » Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:27 pm

If this (viewtopic.php?f=1&t=75513) is right, I really don't see top 25% at MVP doing it. Good luck though. Think your note/comment will be published?

MrKappus

Postby MrKappus » Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:06 pm

G. T. L. Rev. wrote:I don't really think that post tells us that much, even if it is accurate and applicable ITE. But it is interesting.

I mean, it tells us that 10-13% of MVP grads got clerkships before the 2009 USNWR rankings (so very much ITE). I understand that 10-13% getting clerkships doesn't mean you need to be top 10-13%, but it certainly doesn't suggest that top 25% at MVP will find it easy to secure one, especially in CA districts, which are among the most competitive in the country.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:57 pm

OP here. Got most of my 2L first semester grades back. Assume top 15%, strong recs and at least 1 call frm former scotus clerk-professor.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:37 pm

Bump. No tips from the TLS maestros?

bigben

Postby bigben » Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:08 pm

MrKappus wrote:
G. T. L. Rev. wrote:I don't really think that post tells us that much, even if it is accurate and applicable ITE. But it is interesting.

I mean, it tells us that 10-13% of MVP grads got clerkships before the 2009 USNWR rankings (so very much ITE). I understand that 10-13% getting clerkships doesn't mean you need to be top 10-13%, but it certainly doesn't suggest that top 25% at MVP will find it easy to secure one, especially in CA districts, which are among the most competitive in the country.

LOTS of people in the top 10 and 20% don't apply for clerkships. For example, all of the ones interested in transactional work. Even plenty of future litigators don't bother with it, especially if they are not contemplating any moves into academia or government at any point.

That said, you may be totally right that a person with these stats does not have a good shot at CA dct's, I have no idea.

vamedic03

Postby vamedic03 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:17 pm

MrKappus wrote:

That data is really not helpful for the following reasons:

(1) The first clerkship stats were inaccurate - many schools did not accurately report that information that year (e.g., North Dakota).

(2) That data is pre-ITE. It's from the 2009 US News rankings - which were released in April 2009. The data was compiled from 2008. The legal market lagged behind the financial market in taking. See Lawschuck's layoff tracker. (http://lawshucks.com/layoff-tracker/lay ... onth/#1q08). The first layoffs didn't start until 1st Q 2008. The 2008 grads, which are the ones reflected in the rankings, already had their clerkships by this point and there wasn't yet the massive flood of applications. Classes of 2009-10 would be the classes to look at for clerkships ITE.

MrKappus

Postby MrKappus » Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:18 pm

(1) I think I made it pretty clear in my first post that I wasn't vouching for the data's accuracy ("If this is right...")
(2) That's a good point about ITE, but your point bolsters my conclusion (i.e., top 25% probably wouldn't do it for CA district courts) because you're saying it's even more competitive nowadays than it was at the time these data were released.

Return to “Legal Employment”