summer internship: USAO-NDCA vs. CA AG

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Which internship should I accept?

USAO Civil
67%
USAO Criminal
33%
AG
No votes

Total votes: 3

Anonymous User

summer internship: USAO-NDCA vs. CA AG

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:26 am

I have interviewed with one department in the California AG's Office [in San Francisco] and been offered positions in both the civil & criminal divisions of the USAO-NDCA. Assuming the choice is between the three...

- Is there any advantage in picking the civil division over the criminal, or vice versa? Would one be looked upon more favorably by future employers?

- Between the USAO (either division) and the AG, does one stand out any more than the other?

Background: I am not gunning for BigLaw (and my recently released grades might put me out of contention for that anyhow, hah...) and am instead hoping for a career in [public sector/government] litigation.

Voyager

Re: summer internship: USAO-NDCA vs. CA AG

Postby Voyager » Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:26 am

Anonymous User wrote:I have interviewed with one department in the California AG's Office [in San Francisco] and been offered positions in both the civil & criminal divisions of the USAO-NDCA. Assuming the choice is between the three...

- Is there any advantage in picking the civil division over the criminal, or vice versa? Would one be looked upon more favorably by future employers?

- Between the USAO (either division) and the AG, does one stand out any more than the other?

Background: I am not gunning for BigLaw (and my recently released grades might put me out of contention for that anyhow, hah...) and am instead hoping for a career in [public sector/government] litigation.

Criminal is more fun and more prestigious. USAO also better than the AG by quite a lot.

Being an AUSA is a rather big deal. Working as an intern in a USAO gives you a leg up on eventually becoming an AUSA and is much more impressive to employers than going to the AG's office.

Return to “Legal Employment”