1L Summer Mailings -- No Response?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

1L Summer Mailings -- No Response?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:52 pm

I sent out over 100 cover letters/resumes to judges (snail mail) in the early part of December and have only heard back from one. I also applied for various government agencies/public interest firms, and have heard nothing. Other people I know have gotten several rejections, interviews, or "Thanks, but no 1Ls" via email. Total silence over here.

Anyone else? Starting to get very scary.

Anonymous User

Re: 1L Summer Mailings -- No Response?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:01 am

Have you had someone look at your cover letter and resume? That seems like an awfully high number of applications, with no responses to show for it.

I sent a total of about 18 applications to judges, and some other number to some government offices. I have a couple responses already from judges looking to set up interviews asap.

It might also be the market you are applying in. Can you give any general indication?

newyorker88

Postby newyorker88 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:13 am

If you did a mass mailing, sending the same cover letter to a hundred different places, you will most likely be ignored.

Voyager

Postby Voyager » Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:38 am

Mass mailings are are prety rough way to find a job. I mean, sure, give it a shot, but don't expect much.
Also, I recognize that this is how the clerkship process works. So yeah, I get that. Like the above poster said, check your resume and cover letter for errors. Your shit is being screened by irritated law clerks, not the judge, and some of them take typos rather personally. Also consider your GPA and how it might relate to your lack of responses.

Also make sure you understand when most judges get back to you. Maybe you have not given them enought time?

Here are my thoughts on your chances of success in the job hunt with various methods:

1) Personal connections- the best and easiest way to land a position.
2) OCI/Career fair - hell, they are obviously looking to hire *someone*, right? And the fact that you are there has already get you a first round interview.
3) Application to open positions- they at least have a position open.
3) Informational interview request- learning about a someone and their background can lead to something. Maybe. Either through them or through a connection they have.
4) Targeted online application/hard mail appplication- targeting a specific place and making them feel special is a leg up from...
5) DRESDEN CARPET MAIL BOMBING. Dude, they get a ton a mail from guys like you. IF they are hiring there is a *possibility* that someone is even looking at the letters and maybe that person decides to look at yours more closey and send you an invite. Not saying you shouldn't try this, but you should really expend your efforts on the other 4. If you are just launching your bomber wing and hoping for the best, you are likely to be dissappointed.

Is there a chance to apply any of that to the clerkship process? Maybe. Maybe. Did you make an effort to get to know any judges early in school? Do you know any professors who like you and who know judges? I guess what i am saying is that while the mail bomb campaign is what everyone does during this clerkship hunt, it is worthwhile to explore other avenues as well.

$$$$$$

Postby $$$$$$ » Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:19 am

first, 100 is not alot, people i know applied to 500 and heard nothing. Second, if you are doing mass mailing, and you actually want to be noticed, you better have an impressive Cover letter and resume, otherwise, you'll get skipped right over. Don't expect much and you may end up pleasantly surprised. Judges most of the time want grades also, I havent even begun applying so they are probably taking their time till grades come in, especially for competitive districts.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:46 am

$$$$$$ wrote:first, 100 is not alot, people i know applied to 500 and heard nothing. Second, if you are doing mass mailing, and you actually want to be noticed, you better have an impressive Cover letter and resume, otherwise, you'll get skipped right over. Don't expect much and you may end up pleasantly surprised. Judges most of the time want grades also, I havent even begun applying so they are probably taking their time till grades come in, especially for competitive districts.

What are you talking about? 100 is more than I can imagine sending, then again I tailored mine to each federal judge discussing recent orders of theirs and such - I have had several interviews and so forth. I have not had any judge I applied to, as of yet, ask for grades. Quite a few judges (15 or so) I know of were done hiring 1Ls the second week of December.

You haven't begun applying, therefore the judges are probably waiting until grades come in?

OP, if you sent out that many and it wasn't just a form cover letter the materials you sent likely have a problem, ie red flag. Talk to you school advisor and see what they say, then send more I guess - tailor the letters to the reader.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:26 am

$$$$$$ wrote:first, 100 is not alot, people i know applied to 500 and heard nothing. Second, if you are doing mass mailing, and you actually want to be noticed, you better have an impressive Cover letter and resume, otherwise, you'll get skipped right over. Don't expect much and you may end up pleasantly surprised. Judges most of the time want grades also, I havent even begun applying so they are probably taking their time till grades come in, especially for competitive districts.

OP here. This is subjective of course, but I believe my cover letters and resume are pretty good for a 1L. I don't want to divulge too much, but I applied to very competitive districts. Career services and judges chambers' both advised me to send as soon after December 1 as feasible; by the time 1L grades come out, they've already hired their summer interns.

I just find it odd that I've gotten NO word from the vast majority. Many of my friends who did similar mailings received numerous rejections and a few interview requests, typically via email, and typically within a week or two of their mailing. Then again, I guess they may have applied to less competitive districts?

Return to “Legal Employment”