Best 'business casual' clothing

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Lwoods

Re: Best 'business casual' clothing

Postby Lwoods » Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:47 pm

vamedic03 wrote:Consider investing in some well tailored slacks. Go with lightweight wool that you can wear year round. They look better than khakis.

I agree trousers look better than khakis on most men. Khakis often feel very middle school dance.

In addition to the brands mentioned above (namely Ralph Lauren, JCrew, and Brooks Brothers), Express for Men has a nice assortment. It's a little less expensive as well, and fits well on my husband (who has a slim frame).

ksimon2007

Postby ksimon2007 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:51 pm

Definitely can't go wrong with Brooks Brothers. In fact, they're having a 3 dress shirt for 159 sell that ends today.

eandy

Postby eandy » Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:51 pm

Lwoods wrote:
vamedic03 wrote:Consider investing in some well tailored slacks. Go with lightweight wool that you can wear year round. They look better than khakis.

I agree trousers look better than khakis on most men. Khakis often feel very middle school dance.

In addition to the brands mentioned above (namely Ralph Lauren, JCrew, and Brooks Brothers), Express for Men has a nice assortment. It's a little less expensive as well, and fits well on my husband (who has a slim frame).

If Express for Men is anything like Express, it falls apart quickly :(

Lwoods

Postby Lwoods » Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:55 pm

eandy wrote:
Lwoods wrote:

Sad! :( My husband definitely has shirts and jeans still in great condition from there that he's had 3+ years. But, I also haven't really had issues with quality (my jeans wore holes in the knees, but not until 2+ years of wear... no problems with any other items).

lolschool2011

Postby lolschool2011 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:56 pm

Speaking of clothing... is it just me, or does anyone else find that older people look strange in casual clothing. It's almost as if they look like they're trying to look hip or young, even when they're just wearing a T-shirt, or sport gear, etc.

Conclusion: Old people should only wear suits or dress in formal business attire at all times?

keg411

Postby keg411 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:00 pm

eandy wrote:
Lwoods wrote:

I have stuff from Express and it has almost always held up nicely. Maybe I'm just lucky.

Lwoods

Postby Lwoods » Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:00 pm

lolschool2011 wrote:Speaking of clothing... is it just me, or does anyone else find that older people look strange in casual clothing. It's almost as if they look like they're trying to look hip or young, even when they're just wearing a T-shirt, or sport gear, etc.

Conclusion: Old people should only wear suits or dress in formal business attire at all times?

You mean like this guy? :wink:

(Mike Jeffries, CEO of Abercrombie & Fitch)

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:02 pm

keg411 wrote:
eandy wrote:
Lwoods wrote:

I have stuff from Express and it has almost always held up nicely. Maybe I'm just lucky.

I had some polos from Express that got little holes in them. Haven't had that problem from any other brand except back in highschool when I was rockin A&F.

lolschool2011

Postby lolschool2011 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:02 pm

Lwoods wrote:
lolschool2011 wrote:Speaking of clothing... is it just me, or does anyone else find that older people look strange in casual clothing. It's almost as if they look like they're trying to look hip or young, even when they're just wearing a T-shirt, or sport gear, etc.

A better example couldn't possibly exist. Yes. That is revolvingly awkward.

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:03 pm

Lwoods wrote:

thisbigolclub

Postby thisbigolclub » Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:07 pm

Sometimes it seems like a lot of stores, such as Banana Republic, are trying to cater to the 5'10", 275 pound type of guys judging from the way their "Fitted" shirts hang. A good tailor can remedy virtually any boxy or baggy shirts and pants for pretty low prices.

That being said, one can find some absolute gems at TJ Maxx such as dress shirts by Ike Behar and Hugo Boss as well as Valentino, Ferragamo, Zegna, and Polo (the Polo line made in Italy; be wary of the various lines of Ralph Lauren available) ties.

BunkMoreland

Postby BunkMoreland » Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:42 pm

The Bunk shops at Brooks Brothers satisfactorily. Although I question the wisdom of wearing a tie without a suit or even a blazer.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:46 pm

thisbigolclub wrote:Sometimes it seems like a lot of stores, such as Banana Republic, are trying to cater to the 5'10", 275 pound type of guys judging from the way their "Fitted" shirts hang. A good tailor can remedy virtually any boxy or baggy shirts and pants for pretty low prices.

I actually find Banana's shirts to be more fitted than most, but in general I find this to be ridiculously true. I have a fairly large neck for my body size and every shirt that fits me around the neck is like a fucking fat man's poncho around the rest of my body.

daesonesb

Postby daesonesb » Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:58 pm

I'm tall and thin, and have the same problem as a lot of posters on here with button ups and polos (fit like dresses). Anyone have recommendations for good slim fit men's shirts? I've been meaning to order a few from polo's website, but at 60-70 bucks a shirt, I don't want to end up disappointed.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:03 pm

daesonesb wrote:I'm tall and thin, and have the same problem as a lot of posters on here with button ups and polos (fit like dresses). Anyone have recommendations for good slim fit men's shirts? I've been meaning to order a few from polo's website, but at 60-70 bucks a shirt, I don't want to end up disappointed.

How is their return policy?

Most places just charge return shipping with no questions asked. If I can't find it in store, taking a $5-10 gamble (the cost of returning it if it doesn't fit) to try something from online is not that bad if I can find a shirt that fits nicely (which is nigh impossible).

jchoggan

Postby jchoggan » Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:38 pm

Anybody ever tried out Bonobos? Haven't really heard much before, but they look nice.

http://www.bonobos.com/

NZA

Postby NZA » Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:41 pm

Personally, not a fan of khakis. They look pretty country club/meh.

I'd swoop on some nice cords, if I were you. Might be a bit warm for summer, though.

jamec

Postby jamec » Sat Apr 23, 2011 1:54 am

You look fab!!! Not worse for wear at all!! :wink: :roll:

mens casual wear (LinkRemoved)
Last edited by jamec on Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Royal

Postby Royal » Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:16 am

daesonesb wrote:I'm tall and thin, and have the same problem as a lot of posters on here with button ups and polos (fit like dresses). Anyone have recommendations for good slim fit men's shirts? I've been meaning to order a few from polo's website, but at 60-70 bucks a shirt, I don't want to end up disappointed.

I've always had this problem, too. Anything smaller than a 16 34/35 is too tight around my neck or short on my arms, but that size will typically fit like a tent around my waist when tucked in. I've started getting my shirts tailored. Instead of blowing $70 on a shirt, I buy $30 "fitted" or "slim fit" dress shirts from more bargain brands (ie: what's at Marshalls or Kohls) and then bring them to my tailor. It'll fit better than any shirt you buy off the rack, and with the cost of tailoring, you'll probably spend a total of $45 or $50 per shirt.

mscarn23

Postby mscarn23 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:45 am

Bonobos has good stuff, and they have an awesome return policy- return for any reason, and they cover shipping. If there's a banana outlet nearby, they have pretty killer deals going on their non-iron dress shirts. Like $20 a shirt after all the discounts. The slim fit is cut pretty well if you're thin, which is key if you're planning on wearing shirts without a jacket.

100% agree that you can't wear a tie without a jacket or sweater, it kills the look. It's like wearing a short-sleeved dress shirt, which is just wrong.

Thirteen

Postby Thirteen » Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:53 pm

j crew

Return to “Legal Employment”