Best 'business casual' clothing Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
jchoggan

New

Best 'business casual' clothing

Post by jchoggan » Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:02 pm

So my firm has a 'khaki/polo' or 'business casual' policy during the summer months. Unfortunately, my informal wardrobe needs updating. Any thoughts on the most professional/best work attire?

duckmoney

Silver

Re: Best 'business casual' clothing

Post by duckmoney » Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:05 pm

Button down long-sleeve shirt (polo on Fridays, depending on what everyone else wears), no tie
Khaki pants w/ Belt
Boat shoes / Loafers / Dress shoes with socks

Should be fine

jchoggan

New

Post by jchoggan » Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:08 pm

duckmoney wrote:Button down long-sleeve shirt (polo on Fridays, depending on what everyone else wears), no tie
Khaki pants w/ Belt

Should be fine
Definitely... I guess I should have specified, though. I was also curious as to specific brands or styles to look for. It seems like Banana would be a safe bet, but I never find what I want in there...

eandy

Gold

Post by eandy » Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:11 pm

jchoggan wrote:
duckmoney wrote:Button down long-sleeve shirt (polo on Fridays, depending on what everyone else wears), no tie
Khaki pants w/ Belt

Should be fine
Definitely... I guess I should have specified, though. I was also curious as to specific brands or styles to look for. It seems like Banana would be a safe bet, but I never find what I want in there...
Try J. Crew, Ralph Lauren(the outlet store is great for basics), Brooks Brothers, etc.

pu_golf88

Bronze

Post by pu_golf88 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:16 pm

I love J Crew. For casual pants, I think it's the essential chino?, you can specify your inseam and cuff lengths. Now there's no need for a tailor.

If you're thinking Brooks Brothers, look tonight. They have a sale going on that ends today.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

eandy

Gold

Post by eandy » Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:18 pm

Johnston & Murphy used to have really good men's business casual shoes, IIRC. They're having their end of season sale. There clothes are super hit and miss(mostly miss) but for shoes/accessories(like cufflinks) they're great.

vamedic03

Gold

Post by vamedic03 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:20 pm

Consider investing in some well tailored slacks. Go with lightweight wool that you can wear year round. They look better than khakis.

Sup Kid

Silver

Post by Sup Kid » Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:50 pm

Last edited by Sup Kid on Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

lolschool2011

Bronze

Post by lolschool2011 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:52 pm

pu_golf88 wrote:I love J Crew. For casual pants, I think it's the essential chino?, you can specify your inseam and cuff lengths. Now there's no need for a tailor.

If you're thinking Brooks Brothers, look tonight. They have a sale going on that ends today.
JCrew sucks for the following reasons.... most of their clothes are just standard, basic textiles. It's the marketing and damn canoe boats hanging on the ceiling that dupe people into thinking JCrew gear is anything other than generic textiles made in Taiwan.

Brooks Brothers is actually good quality that warrants the price, IMO.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

eandy

Gold

Post by eandy » Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:56 pm

lolschool2011 wrote:
pu_golf88 wrote:I love J Crew. For casual pants, I think it's the essential chino?, you can specify your inseam and cuff lengths. Now there's no need for a tailor.

JCrew sucks for the following reasons.... most of their clothes are just standard, basic textiles. It's the marketing and damn canoe boats hanging on the ceiling that dupe people into thinking JCrew gear is anything other than generic textiles made in Taiwan.

The thing about J Crew is that they have GREAT sales. You just don't pay full price. When I buy things there on mega sale, I don't care if it is a "generic textile made in Taiwan."

lolschool2011

Bronze

Post by lolschool2011 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:58 pm

eandy wrote:
lolschool2011 wrote:

The thing about J Crew is that they have GREAT sales. You just don't pay full price. When I buy things there on mega sale, I don't care if it is a "generic textile made in Taiwan."
You might as well shop at the Gap or Old Navy instead of JCrew, unless, like you said, you buy anything from JCrew only on an extreme sale. I'm talking 70% percent off+

krad

Gold

Post by krad » Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:58 pm

eandy wrote:
lolschool2011 wrote:

This. And many J Crew stores give an additional student discount...! It's not advertised but if you ask in store you'll most likely get it, even on top of sales. I used that to all hell in UG. I think it's something like 20% maybe.

Edit: J Crew =/= Old Navy

Thirteen

Diamond

Post by Thirteen » Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:01 pm

lolschool2011 wrote:
eandy wrote:
lolschool2011 wrote: JCrew sucks for the following reasons.... most of their clothes are just standard, basic textiles. It's the marketing and damn canoe boats hanging on the ceiling that dupe people into thinking JCrew gear is anything other than generic textiles made in Taiwan.

You might as well shop at the Gap or Old Navy instead of JCrew, unless, like you said, you buy anything from JCrew only on an extreme sale. I'm talking 70% percent off+
JCrew fits me better than the Gap, so I usually shop there. Large Tall ftw!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

lolschool2011

Bronze

Post by lolschool2011 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:04 pm

krad wrote:
eandy wrote:
lolschool2011 wrote:

This. And many J Crew stores give an additional student discount...! It's not advertised but if you ask in store you'll most likely get it, even on top of sales. I used that to all hell in UG. I think it's something like 20% maybe.

Edit: J Crew =/= Old Navy
Maybe the comparison was exaggerated, but J Crew still seems like basic textiles sold at an absurd premium b/c of the pretense added to it by their marketing. Alas, this is what retail is all about though, right? Selling an "image." I like quality way more than labels. In fact, I hate wearing anything with a visible logo.

jchoggan

New

Post by jchoggan » Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:05 pm

I like J Crew for casual polos. Not so sure about their pants, though.

Thanks for the note on Brooks Brothers... just bought a couple non-iron chinos online (their shirts are the best, so I figured I'd give them a shot). We'll see how they do.
Last edited by jchoggan on Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lolschool2011

Bronze

Post by lolschool2011 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:07 pm

I bought 4 new Cashmere v-neck sweaters from Macys that were marked down from $150 to $60 bucks. I highly recommend checking those out.... very versatile and look good w/a button down and tie underneath.

jchoggan

New

Post by jchoggan » Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:09 pm

lolschool2011 wrote:I bought 4 new Cashmere v-neck sweaters from Macys that were marked down from $150 to $60 bucks. I highly recommend checking those out.... very versatile and look good w/a button down and tie underneath.
Sounds awesome... but probably not the best idea in 105-degree heat. :) Probably good for other SAs though.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:15 pm

Khaki pants w/ Belt

Should be fine
I think a tie makes all shirts look better so I'd go with it even though it isn't mandatory.

RMUDelicious

New

Post by RMUDelicious » Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:18 pm

Lacoste and Burberry. If you game the sales you can get them for a very reasonable price too.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:21 pm

Brooks Brothers and Ralph Lauren are the most "business-y" of the business casual. A button down from either is a perfect business casual look.

A&O

Bronze

Post by A&O » Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:26 pm

romothesavior wrote:Brooks Brothers and Ralph Lauren are the most "business-y" of the business casual. A button down from either is a perfect business casual look.
The problem is that they aren't really flattering on all body types. If you have a narrower frame, going for a European designer is the way to do it.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

krad

Gold

Post by krad » Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:30 pm

lolschool2011 wrote: Maybe the comparison was exaggerated, but J Crew still seems like basic textiles sold at an absurd premium b/c of the pretense added to it by their marketing. Alas, this is what retail is all about though, right? Selling an "image." I like quality way more than labels. In fact, I hate wearing anything with a visible logo.
This is true. Ditto on logos, for sure.

My SO, his father, and my father all wear a lot of Brooks Bros and mostly buy during sales; they've had a lot of good to say about BB. They are all 6'2"+ and larger, though...

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:31 pm

romothesavior wrote:Brooks Brothers and Ralph Lauren are the most "business-y" of the business casual. A button down from either is a perfect business casual look.
+1. Can't go wrong with either.

jchoggan

New

Post by jchoggan » Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:33 pm

A&O wrote:
The problem is that they aren't really flattering on all body types. If you have a narrower frame, going for a European designer is the way to do it.
The slim fit BB shirts are pretty good for this, and the Nordstrom trim fit non-irons are comparable and have a more European fit (though they don't last quite as long). You can also get your shirts tailored for pretty cheap, depending on where you go.

A&O

Bronze

Post by A&O » Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:41 pm

Even the slim-fit BB shirts are parachutes on a lot of people.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”