Three Piece Suits in Biglaw

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
A&O

Re: Three Piece Suits in Biglaw

Postby A&O » Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:22 am

I think french cuffs are great.

But save them for when you earn the right to wear them.

sundance95

Postby sundance95 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:27 am

SemperLegal wrote:
sundance95 wrote:
Also, unless your height would look reasonable if listed on an NBA roster, a three piece suit is a mistake.

Do you perhaps mean three-button suit?

I don't believe I've ever seen a three piece two-button worn with any success. IMO, the three piece works only on tall (as in legitimately tall-think over 6'5") in three-button configurations, but that's definitely just an opinion. As other poster have noted above, it's simply too ostentatious for a gruntling.

But yes, you definitely caught me making a unconscious leap from three piece to three-button.

vamedic03

Postby vamedic03 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:16 pm

A&O wrote:
megaTTTron wrote:If I can't wear a shirt with french cuffs I quit law. SERIOUSLY? That blows my mind. Like, contract collars, vests, hawaiian shirts--okay. But French cuffs?? Get out.

Typically, french cuffs are the kind of stuff only for partners.

And it's not that french cuffs will get you auto-dinged. It's more like the person who thinks that french cuffs are acceptable as a summer associate is usually the same type of person with other qualities that will get them no-offered.

Really? I think the level of BS in here is getting a bit thick. French cuffs with silk knots or silver knots are fine. French cuffs with giant gold dice cufflinks are not.

A&O

Postby A&O » Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:17 pm

Really? I think the level of BS in here is getting a bit thick. French cuffs with silk knots or silver knots are fine. French cuffs with giant gold dice cufflinks are not.

Reread an earlier post:

And it's not that french cuffs will get you auto-dinged. It's more like the person who thinks that french cuffs are acceptable as a summer associate is usually the same type of person with other qualities that will get them no-offered.

vamedic03

Postby vamedic03 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:02 pm

A&O wrote:

Reread an earlier post:

I was specifically referring to your bolded comment above.

A&O

Postby A&O » Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:10 pm

I was specifically referring to your bolded comment above.

I mean... you could have specifically quoted that. Okay...

Anyway, a lot of actions considered outside the context of the person who made them are probably not sufficient grounds for a no-offer. In fact, when deliberating, partners probably won't end up caring about whether the person wore a three-piece suit, though that would definitely occasion on partner telling another during a meal, "That's weird." And if you look at the numerous scandals posted on abovethelaw, from the infamous Jonas Blank story to Aquagirl, you'll see that they received offers at the end of the day.

But like I said, people who think these types of things are okay usually have other qualities that make them do other similarly weird things. Your not having those qualities, while still wanting to wear cufflinks, doesn't contradict that. Moreover, you're probably not the best judge of what qualities you have.

Postby 20160810 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:31 pm

I agree that three-piece suits and French cuffs are pretty chotchy and should be avoided, but contrast collars don't bother me too much. I don't own any, but I like them.

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:33 pm

megaTTTron wrote:For an SA.

I don't recall seeing any at any of my interviews. I have two. Is it cool if I wear them, or will I look like an idiot? Or does it not matter at all?

Thanks.

Yes and Yes.

Mickey Quicknumbers

Postby Mickey Quicknumbers » Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:40 am

My question: any suit that's going to look decent as a 3 piece suit is going to be 200+ more dollars for that vest. Why waste the money?

(btw, if I do ever happen to land a real job. I'm going to spam my colleagues with bow ties)

bk1

Postby bk1 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:30 pm

delBarco wrote:My question: any suit that's going to look decent as a 3 piece suit is going to be 200+ more dollars for that vest. Why waste the money?

Can't put a price tag on looking fly.

Postby 20160810 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:46 pm

delBarco wrote:My question: any suit that's going to look decent as a 3 piece suit is going to be 200+ more dollars for that vest. Why waste the money?

(btw, if I do ever happen to land a real job. I'm going to spam my colleagues with bow ties)

The problem with bow ties if when you go out for drinks after work they don't look cool loosened the way normal ties do.

A&O

Postby A&O » Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:11 pm

SBL wrote:

The problem with bow ties if when you go out for drinks after work they don't look cool loosened the way normal ties do.

Are you kidding? If it's a bow-tie that you actually have to tie (and not clip), it looks pretty awesome.

twert

Postby twert » Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:14 pm

sundance95 wrote:
A&O wrote:Typically, french cuffs are the kind of stuff only for partners.

:lol: 180

Also, unless your height would look reasonable if listed on an NBA roster, a three piece suit is a mistake.

so if i'm the same height as steve nash i can wear them?

A&O

Postby A&O » Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:29 pm

I mean... 3-button suits are OK. Sometimes it really doesn't make a difference, since some 2-button suits have their buttons set in a little higher, making them really just 3-buttons in terms of cut.

It won't be flattering, but you're a summer associate. You don't have to be a style-addict or anything. Just wear clothes that are well fitted. If you feel like splurging, go ahead and splurge. No one is going to pull you over and check the labels. But, if you're going to splurge, just make sure there's no visible identifier of the brand. Wearing expensive things and letting people know you're wearing expensive things just communicates the wrong message.

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:33 pm

A&O wrote:
SBL wrote:

Are you kidding? If it's a bow-tie that you actually have to tie (and not clip), it looks pretty awesome.

+1 a bow tie draped across your shoulders is the ultimate evening drink attire.

A&O

Postby A&O » Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:39 pm

Aqualibrium wrote:
A&O wrote:
SBL wrote:

+1 a bow tie draped across your shoulders is the ultimate evening drink attire.

Que James Bond wearing a tux and an undone bow-tie, while sipping a glass of scotch.

Classic.

Postby 20160810 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:15 pm

A&O wrote:I mean... 3-button suits are OK. Sometimes it really doesn't make a difference, since some 2-button suits have their buttons set in a little higher, making them really just 3-buttons in terms of cut.

It won't be flattering, but you're a summer associate. You don't have to be a style-addict or anything. Just wear clothes that are well fitted. If you feel like splurging, go ahead and splurge. No one is going to pull you over and check the labels. But, if you're going to splurge, just make sure there's no visible identifier of the brand. Wearing expensive things and letting people know you're wearing expensive things just communicates the wrong message.

Surely you're not referring to my ecko cufflinks

daesonesb

Postby daesonesb » Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:21 pm

A&O wrote:I mean... 3-button suits are OK. Sometimes it really doesn't make a difference, since some 2-button suits have their buttons set in a little higher, making them really just 3-buttons in terms of cut.

:|

A&O

Postby A&O » Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:24 pm

It's obviously not the wisest move, and I would shake my head at it, but you're your own person and it's your business what you do with your money.

Peg

Postby Peg » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:57 am

Not to resurrect a dead thread, but just chiming in to say that I love three-piece suits on a guy and I think it's such a shame that they're no longer standard dress except in certain professions or rungs of the ladder. I think they're so gentlemanly.

OP, I hope you get a chance to wear your three-pieces while being an SA without looking out of place.

Return to “Legal Employment”