Three Piece Suits in Biglaw

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
ksimon2007

Re: Three Piece Suits in Biglaw

Postby ksimon2007 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:05 pm

bk1 wrote:
A&O wrote:
ksimon2007 wrote:I'm a fan of the contrast collar...is it kosher to wear one during an interview...I understand being risk averse and going with the white shirt, navy suit look, but I mean the shirt is Brooks Brothers lol...I am OL, but since this topic is being discussed I wanted in

The contrast-collar is almost unequivocally associated with "banker d-bag." Avoid.

This. I also think it looks pretty awful.

Wrong.

A&O

Postby A&O » Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:12 pm

ksimon2007 wrote:
bk1 wrote:
A&O wrote:
ksimon2007 wrote:I'm a fan of the contrast collar...is it kosher to wear one during an interview...I understand being risk averse and going with the white shirt, navy suit look, but I mean the shirt is Brooks Brothers lol...I am OL, but since this topic is being discussed I wanted in

The contrast-collar is almost unequivocally associated with "banker d-bag." Avoid.

This. I also think it looks pretty awful.

Wrong.

You wanted our opinions and you got them.

HamDel

Postby HamDel » Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:13 pm

If you wear a three piece suit or a contrast collar, people will think you are a douche.

A&O

Postby A&O » Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:16 pm

Also avoid: French cuffs.

A&O

Postby A&O » Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:17 pm

I don't understand how it's so hard for people to get it. If it's business casual, wear a regular shirt, slacks, and nice shoes. Make sure everything fits well and matches.

If it's business formal, wear a normal suit. Make sure everything fits well and matches.

Is that really hard to follow?

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:18 pm

A&O wrote:Also avoid: French cuffs.

But how else can I show off my diamond studded cuff links?

It would be a shame not to wear them considering how well they go with my diamond studded watch.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:18 pm

A&O wrote:I don't understand how it's so hard for people to get it. If it's business casual, wear a regular shirt, slacks, and nice shoes. Make sure everything fits well and matches.

If it's business formal, wear a normal suit. Make sure everything fits well and matches.

Is that really hard to follow?

Yes, because everybody thinks they are a special little snowflake.

BunkMoreland

Postby BunkMoreland » Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:20 pm

Everything in moderation. Yes, you can wear french cuffs, three-pieces (in conservative colors), and even contrast collars so long as you don't always do that and at the same time don't dress like shit the rest of the time. Just don't wear them before you're ingrained.

HamDel

Postby HamDel » Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:28 pm

BunkMoreland wrote:Everything in moderation. Yes, you can wear french cuffs, three-pieces (in conservative colors), and even contrast collars so long as you don't always do that and at the same time don't dress like shit the rest of the time. Just don't wear them before you're ingrained.

WRONG.

A&O

Postby A&O » Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:30 pm

Even if he is correct, "moderation" implies "common sense." These questions wouldn't be asked if the person had common sense, so asking him to do things in moderation is useless.

ksimon2007

Postby ksimon2007 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:45 pm

A&O wrote:Even if he is correct, "moderation" implies "common sense." These questions wouldn't be asked if the person had common sense, so asking him to do things in moderation is useless.

haha don't be ridiculous. There is nothing intrinsically irrational about a contrast collar. Get off of your high horse and come on down here with the "common" folks.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:48 pm

ksimon2007 wrote:haha don't be ridiculous. There is nothing intrinsically irrational about a contrast collar. Get off of your high horse and come on down here with the "common" folks.

Pretty sure that common folk would never wear a contrast collar considering I don't think they sell them at Walmart.

A&O

Postby A&O » Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:22 pm

ksimon2007 wrote:
A&O wrote:Even if he is correct, "moderation" implies "common sense." These questions wouldn't be asked if the person had common sense, so asking him to do things in moderation is useless.

haha don't be ridiculous. There is nothing intrinsically irrational about a contrast collar. Get off of your high horse and come on down here with the "common" folks.

Bk's correct response aside, I agree with you: There's nothing intrinsically irrational about a contrast collar.

If you are an investment banker, you can wear one.

If you're a partner at a big law firm, you can wear one.

If you're a news anchor at a large news organization, you can wear one.

If you're a mere summer associate at a big law firm, you probably shouldn't wear one. The same with vests, french cuffs, bow ties, exotically colored ties, etc.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:34 pm

A&O wrote:
ksimon2007 wrote:

Bk's correct response aside, I agree with you: There's nothing intrinsically irrational about a contrast collar.

If you are an investment banker, you can wear one.

If you're a partner at a big law firm, you can wear one.

If you're a news anchor at a large news organization, you can wear one.

If you're a mere summer associate at a big law firm, you probably shouldn't wear one. The same with vests, french cuffs, bow ties, exotically colored ties, etc.

This.

There's nothing wrong with the garment itself. But it puts out a signal you don't want as the low guy on the totem pole. It's like some rookie showing up to play for the Chicago Bulls and putting on Jordan's jersey number.

daesonesb

Postby daesonesb » Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:45 pm

Hold the phone.... you can wear whatever the hell kind of dumb suit you want to.

Its just a matter of sending the wrong message to people. In general, things like white collar/blue shirt, pinstripes, french cuffs, etc make you look cocky. This might not be the right look for a Summer Associate. As a low level grunt, be known for your work product and can do attitude, rather than snappy dressing.

dood

Postby dood » Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:00 pm

daesonesb wrote:Hold the phone.... you can wear whatever the hell kind of dumb suit you want to.

Its just a matter of sending the wrong message to people. In general, things like white collar/blue shirt, pinstripes, french cuffs, etc make you look cocky. This might not be the right look for a Summer Associate. As a low level grunt, be known for your work product and can do attitude, rather than snappy dressing.

as somebody who loves suits and owns many white collared shirts, this is the cr. i would err on the side of safety. maybe after u secure an offer or start working a few months, go ahead bust out the shit.

but as a SA:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Oqx2GqUvs4

even i know this brah.

thuggishruggishbone

Postby thuggishruggishbone » Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:05 pm

--ImageRemoved--
Last edited by thuggishruggishbone on Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Voyager

Postby Voyager » Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:29 pm

3 piece suits just look odd. One guy at work wore one a few weeks ago and he looked very out of place. Kind of like double breasted suit coats, gold pocket watches and monocles, the 3 piece suit is just no longer in fashion.

As for french cuffs and white collared shirts: they are normal business attire at consulting firms and at banks.

Law firms? not from what I saw. So maybe it is just a culture issue. I also do not think partners will some how rate you down for wearing cuff links. On the other hand, I only spent a few months at a law firm and I certainly concede that there are some psycho bastards running those places.

megaTTTron

Postby megaTTTron » Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:09 pm

If I can't wear a shirt with french cuffs I quit law. SERIOUSLY? That blows my mind. Like, contract collars, vests, hawaiian shirts--okay. But French cuffs?? Get out.

vamedic03

Postby vamedic03 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:13 pm

megaTTTron wrote:If I can't wear a shirt with french cuffs I quit law. SERIOUSLY? That blows my mind. Like, contract collars, vests, hawaiian shirts--okay. But French cuffs?? Get out.

^this. French cuffs are perfectly acceptable - just don't wear ostentatious cuff links.

180orbust

Postby 180orbust » Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:59 am

If you work at cravath, wear a cravat.

A&O

Postby A&O » Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:58 am

megaTTTron wrote:If I can't wear a shirt with french cuffs I quit law. SERIOUSLY? That blows my mind. Like, contract collars, vests, hawaiian shirts--okay. But French cuffs?? Get out.

Typically, french cuffs are the kind of stuff only for partners.

And it's not that french cuffs will get you auto-dinged. It's more like the person who thinks that french cuffs are acceptable as a summer associate is usually the same type of person with other qualities that will get them no-offered.

sundance95

Postby sundance95 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:05 am

A&O wrote:Typically, french cuffs are the kind of stuff only for partners.

And it's not that french cuffs will get you auto-dinged. It's more like the person who thinks that french cuffs are acceptable as a summer associate is usually the same type of person with other qualities that will get them no-offered.

:lol: 180

Also, unless your height would look reasonable if listed on an NBA roster, a three piece suit is a mistake.

SemperLegal

Postby SemperLegal » Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:08 am

sundance95 wrote:
Also, unless your height would look reasonable if listed on an NBA roster, a three piece suit is a mistake.

Do you perhaps mean three-button suit?

megaTTTron

Postby megaTTTron » Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:18 am

A&O wrote:

Typically, french cuffs are the kind of stuff only for partners.

So you're saying french cuffs are cool . . . :mrgreen:

Return to “Legal Employment”